GPSr that can't use MSM [Tom2, Magellan, iGO, WinCE etc]

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Don't have malaysia maps for this stuff

#21 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:57 am

:welcome: bro rufffey :welcome: to malsingmaps where all Garmin is discussed

Before you venture into buying the mentioned hardware suggest you immerse yourself into some basic GPS knowledge by reading our wiki. Once you have gasp the basics, you can then proceed to the general knowledge for some directions on how to use our maps on third party hardware

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... er_devices

ajay
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W

#22 Post by ajay » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:03 pm

welcome ruffey...

you are better off than some newbies who normally bought a unit first before asking here :)
ask not (just) what malsingmaps can do for you
ask what you can do for malsingmaps (also)

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#23 Post by sabre23t » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:21 pm

rufffey wrote:I wanna buy this item, but there are no maps for malaysia, can i change the garmin maps into this gps format? or there are any way to install malaysia map.
more info visit: http://www.sbo2.com/en/product_detail.a ... 171&sid=27
http://www.sbo2.com/en/upimg/200711217332673918.jpg
I notice that image says "Maps from Nokia company", so most likely you won't be able to use our Malsingmaps Garmin compatible maps.

If you do want to use our Malsing maps for your in-car navigation unit have a look at our wiki article http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... Sr_choices and related links.
The world is MyMaps!

moviezzz
GPS: none

The maps here install in WinCE devices

#24 Post by moviezzz » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:59 pm

Hi, I am thinking of getting this GPS device WinCE OS http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8545 Can you advise whether it can support the free maps here? Thanks.

anthonyvoo

Re: The maps here install in WinCE devices

#25 Post by anthonyvoo » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:02 pm

china brand..... cannot.
Good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good
Buy garmin

taipan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia, iPhone, Garmin and up to 10 Hz NMEA driven. Lastest Nuvi 2565LM with GDR10.

#26 Post by taipan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:52 am

anthonyvoo wrote:china brand..... cannot.
Good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good
Buy garmin
This is a very uncalled for statement without basis or facts to it backup. On the contrary, these days many, if not most stuff are manufactured in China and many of these are now also carrying a Chinese brand. Take for instance, IBM Thinkpad, had for a long while now been manufactured in China and also carrying Chinese Brand alongside the IBM logo and Brand name, to the point now it no longer carries the IBM Brand but just the Chinese brand, Lenovo Thinkpad. There are too many other examples to list here.

Whether a PDA can accept our maps and operate depends on whether the software required by our maps can be installed on the PDA or not. What it is branded under or which country such brand comes from, has nothing to do with such functions. If you cannot be constructive, for crying out loud, don't be destructive and to make such uncalled for statement against the most populous country on this planet with probably still the largest standing Army and the highest foreign reserve is not only downright irresponsible, but adds no value to this forum.

As to the question proper, I had offered elsewhere that it is not possible to give any indication on compatibility of WinCE device because each WinCE device is configured differently from another. Whether the software needed to operate with our maps here (so far these are Garmin navigation software and Mapking only) depend on whether that particular WinCE PDA can run any of these software (Garmin Que, Garmin Mobile XT or Mapking). It is much better, when one is in doubt, to purchase a PDA running Window Mobile OS. I am not saying that a WinCe OS PDA cannot run Garmin Que, GMXT or Mapking, some can and some cannot as it depend on what subset of WinCE "modules" are included in the WinCE OS packaged into that particular WinCE OS PDA.

Anthonyvoo, I am not being rude to you deliberately. However, such opening statement of yours really need a good strong shot to wake you up. Forgive my bluntness as I am a Chinese, too, a Singaporean Chinese and mighty proud to be one. Caveat Lector: No disrespect to non-Chinese.

anthonyvoo

#27 Post by anthonyvoo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:02 pm

OK, let me answer like this.

This china brand which moviezzz mentioned cannot install free malsingmap, because it is running with Windows CE OS, all you need is contact Mapking Malaysia to purchase a Mapking program for PND device with Malaysia map. After that you can get free malsingmaps with licence.

No any 3rd party PND Navigator can install free malsingmaps straight away legally. Unless you buy Garmin. But Garmin price will be more expensive compared to China brand if you buy new, with the same level of product, GUARANTEE...... I like Garmin, cause Garmin provide me more quality navigation. I think most of our malsing members are using garmin, most of malsing mappers are using Garmin too. Most popular brand of GPS Navigator in Malaysia is Garmin also. Malsingmaps is started with Garmin format since 3 years ago.

Not all the cheap thing is not good. You can buy a PND with a low price in other countrys and works well with their maps.

MR TAIPAN~~ I am answer like this for his question is that alright?
This statement "Good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good" is simply say say only. I learned this from a Singaporean when he telling me a joke. I hope this is only a funny statement. Not to hurt anyone. Forgive me if my english gramma is no good.

taipan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia, iPhone, Garmin and up to 10 Hz NMEA driven. Lastest Nuvi 2565LM with GDR10.

#28 Post by taipan » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:29 pm

anthonyvoo wrote: This statement "Good thing no cheap, cheap thing no good" is simply say say only. I learned this from a Singaporean when he telling me a joke. I hope this is only a funny statement. Not to hurt anyone. Forgive me if my english gramma is no good.
Actually, it isn't funny at all and why should it be? No harm in expressing one's opinion so long as it is indeed one's honest opinion. Much like "you pay for what you get and you get what you paid for" or "a cent gets a cent's worth".

Thank you and have a good holiday.

Peggy Koh
GPS: tom tom

Tom Tom, Magellan, Navicom etc [GPSr that can't use MSM]

#29 Post by Peggy Koh » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 pm

I won a Tom Tom one 3rd edition, US & Canada maps while on a business conferencec in the USA. Have never been a GPS owner, thus did not know how to use one.

Is there anyway to get a free version of SIN and Malaysia maps that would be usable on the TOM TOM? while researching now - I realised that most FREE SIN & Malaysia maps works with Garmin and not TOM TOM. Any help would be most appreciated.

:cry:

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: New Tom Tom

#30 Post by Redstorm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Sorry, the malsing maps here are customised for only Garmin. It doesn't work on Tom Tom. One of our members, Cruiser, also owns a Tom Tom and he can advise you accordingly if you PM him.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P