Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

NarenG21
GPS: Shinco GM7800; looking to upgrade

Re: Garmin nuvi 255w

#311 Post by NarenG21 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Redstorm wrote: Getting thru Amazon may be cheaper but there are other considerations why you should buy a localised one from a local outlet instead. With a localised set, you get a set that is preloaded with both Garmin CN and MSM NT maps which have JCV and LA which it is enabled. Though cheaper to get thru Amazon, you have to consider warranty problem too. For non-localised set, even if you install the MSM v5.13 map, the JCV is still very much in its infancy and restricted to only a few areas in MY. Don't get the older 255W or 1350, go for the latest 2465. Though a budget model, it comes which many features found in the high end model (3790). I find the 2465 has the fastest satellite log on - almost instantaneous!!!!

Thanks for the great advice bro. i guess waiting for the June tech show would be worth. Until then I've got my trusted Shinco with me :)

build6
Regular
Regular
GPS: nüvi 255w (SG/MY localized)
GPSMAP 76CSx

#312 Post by build6 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Redstorm wrote:I find the 2465 has the fastest satellite log on - almost instantaneous!!!!
fast satellite log on is very very useful, cannot be underestimated

also, I have a 255W and I think the CPU in it is a bit slow, when entering road names etc., press button have to wait for the letter to show up, it makes searching for address etc. not very fun

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#313 Post by Redstorm » Sun May 15, 2011 1:23 pm

build6 wrote: fast satellite log on is very very useful, cannot be underestimated

also, I have a 255W and I think the CPU in it is a bit slow, when entering road names etc., press button have to wait for the letter to show up, it makes searching for address etc. not very fun
I can live with a shower searching of road names but not slow satellites log on. You know how fast the 2465 takes to log on even on a cold start? The minute the device display the Home page, it has already logged onto the satellites!! That fast, 9 out of 10 times!!! So far, no models I have used before come close to it. Not even the top end model, the 3790.
Last edited by bartmp8 on Wed May 18, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This Topic will be merged to "Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy" in Newbie Lounge at a later date
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Psyiche
GPS: acer dx900, iphone 4, garmin 3790

Re: Support for Galactico V8

#314 Post by Psyiche » Mon May 16, 2011 9:32 pm

hi guys,
Thanks for the headsup!
Perfect watch itis then...
cheers!
Psyiche

MountainMan
GPS: Garmin GPSmap 76S

Hi to all

#315 Post by MountainMan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:39 am

Hi to all.

I have been using a handheld mapping GPS for many years now but feel it's time to learn about car navigators (which I ave minimal knowledge of) as well, as I see distinct need for this product in the future.

A first question is if there exist a GPS unit that has both Navigator function (for car navigation use) and standard/normal GPS function with NMEA capability enabling me to upload/download data (waypoints, tracks, routes, etc.) to software like OziExplorer.

I currently use a Garmin GPS76MAP, and have a few eTrex too. I have MapSource but my main mapping software is OziExplorer. I need a navigator because I will be traveling to Europe soon and will need a car navigator to help with my road navigation.

Thank you.

Eric

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Hi to all

#316 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:56 am

MountainMan wrote:Hi to all.

I have been using a handheld mapping GPS for many years now but feel it's time to learn about car navigators (which I ave minimal knowledge of) as well, as I see distinct need for this product in the future.

A first question is if there exist a GPS unit that has both Navigator function (for car navigation use) and standard/normal GPS function with NMEA capability enabling me to upload/download data (waypoints, tracks, routes, etc.) to software like OziExplorer.

I currently use a Garmin GPS76MAP, and have a few eTrex too. I have MapSource but my main mapping software is OziExplorer. I need a navigator because I will be traveling to Europe soon and will need a car navigator to help with my road navigation.

Thank you.

Eric

The closest thing to a Car Navigator+Handheld from Garmin is the Garmin Montana, a recent launched device.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75228

It is new so do not have much information available on whether it has NMEA capability. The documentation does say it has custom map capability . SO theoretically it could work with GpsGate Client and provides with what you want :-k :-'

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/u ... custommaps

http://gpsgate.com/products/gpsgate_cli ... 6wodMF5acw

MountainMan

#317 Post by MountainMan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:37 am

SilverBeauty wrote:The closest thing to a Car Navigator+Handheld from Garmin is the Garmin Montana, a recent launched device.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=75228

It is new so do not have much information available on whether it has NMEA capability. The documentation does say it has custom map capability . SO theoretically it could work with GpsGate Client and provides with what you want :-k :-'

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/u ... custommaps

http://gpsgate.com/products/gpsgate_cli ... 6wodMF5acw
Thanks for this. USD699 is quite expensive. At that price, buying 2 separate GPS might be a better option, but then purchased maps can only be locked into 1 GPS unit!
BTW, as I am new to this, what is "GpsGate Client"

Thanks

Eric

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#318 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:41 pm

MountainMan wrote: Thanks for this. USD699 is quite expensive. At that price, buying 2 separate GPS might be a better option, but then purchased maps can only be locked into 1 GPS unit!

Thanks

Eric

Click on the link I posted in my earlier post on GpsGate.

More information here :
http://gpsgate.com/support/using_a_garmin_gps_as_input

MountainMan

#319 Post by MountainMan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks for this.

E
SilverBeauty wrote: Click on the link I posted in my earlier post on GpsGate.

More information here :
http://gpsgate.com/support/using_a_garmin_gps_as_input

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#320 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:19 pm

MountainMan wrote:
Thanks for this. USD699 is quite expensive. At that price, buying 2 separate GPS might be a better option, but then purchased maps can only be locked into 1 GPS unit!

Thanks

Eric

Nowadays, most Garmin maps sold are pre-loaded / locked to SD card so card is transferable to any Garmin GPS. :-'
Last edited by bartmp8 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This Topic will be merged into "Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy" in Newbie Lounge at a later date