Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
omar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:12 am
GPS: Ipaq hx4700 + Holux M1000
Contact:

Newbie question :)

#321 Post by omar » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Hello seniors!

Pardon me as I am a noob in this.

I need to purchase a GPS unit to mount in vehicle which I am going to use driving around Sabah, Malaysia.

I believe that Eastgear has wide choices but definitely won't know what to choose.

Can anyone of you recommend me a unit which I can use for driving around Sabah and at the same time I can also use it in Singapore?

Thanks for any help coming through :)

/omar

User avatar
Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
Location: Hougang, Sg
Contact:

Re: Newbie question :)

#322 Post by Redstorm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:46 am

omar wrote:Hello seniors!

Pardon me as I am a noob in this.

I need to purchase a GPS unit to mount in vehicle which I am going to use driving around Sabah, Malaysia.

I believe that Eastgear has wide choices but definitely won't know what to choose.

Can anyone of you recommend me a unit which I can use for driving around Sabah and at the same time I can also use it in Singapore?

Thanks for any help coming through :)

/omar
Go get the Garmin Nuvi 1xxx series or 2xxx series. I would recommend the Nuvi 2465. Very fast satellite log-on - almost instantaneous. As long as it is a Garmin, u can use it in any country as long as you have the map of the particular country installed in it.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

omar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:12 am
GPS: Ipaq hx4700 + Holux M1000
Contact:

Re: Newbie question :)

#323 Post by omar » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:40 am

Redstorm wrote:
Go get the Garmin Nuvi 1xxx series or 2xxx series. I would recommend the Nuvi 2465. Very fast satellite log-on - almost instantaneous. As long as it is a Garmin, u can use it in any country as long as you have the map of the particular country installed in it.
Thanks Redstorm...

Does the price comes with East Malaysia map or it will be a separate purchase? :)

User avatar
Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
Location: Hougang, Sg
Contact:

Re: Newbie question :)

#324 Post by Redstorm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 am

omar wrote:
Redstorm wrote:
Go get the Garmin Nuvi 1xxx series or 2xxx series. I would recommend the Nuvi 2465. Very fast satellite log-on - almost instantaneous. As long as it is a Garmin, u can use it in any country as long as you have the map of the particular country installed in it.
Thanks Redstorm...

Does the price comes with East Malaysia map or it will be a separate purchase? :)
Localised Nuvi sets come preloaded with both Garmin CN Sg/My and MSM NT My/Sg/Bru maps. You can also download the MSM v5.18 map from here: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 03#p190103
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

omar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:12 am
GPS: Ipaq hx4700 + Holux M1000
Contact:

Re: Newbie question :)

#325 Post by omar » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:58 am

Redstorm wrote:
Localised Nuvi sets come preloaded with both Garmin CN Sg/My and MSM NT My/Sg/Bru maps. You can also download the MSM v5.18 map from here: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 03#p190103
Sweet! Thank you very much Redstorm...

blackhawk441
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:49 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255W
Contact:

Need advice on garmin etrex vista Hcx or Garmin 76cs or

#326 Post by blackhawk441 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Can someone advice me which of the following model above would be good as backup navigation at altitude of about 1500ft-3000ft. Speed of about 85knts.

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: Need advice on garmin etrex vista Hcx or Garmin 76cs or

#327 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:32 pm

blackhawk441 wrote:Can someone advice me which of the following model above would be good as backup navigation at altitude of about 1500ft-3000ft. Speed of about 85knts.

Depending on your budget, you will not go wrong with a HcX

blackhawk441
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:49 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255W
Contact:

Re: Need advice on garmin etrex vista Hcx or Garmin 76cs or

#328 Post by blackhawk441 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:48 pm

Sorry the model is the 76CSX and Rtrex Vista Hcx. I need it for aviation back up usage.

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: Need advice on garmin etrex vista Hcx or Garmin 76cs or

#329 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:53 am

blackhawk441 wrote:Sorry the model is the 76CSX and Rtrex Vista Hcx. I need it for aviation back up usage.

I've used my HcX in my many travels overseas in a commercial airplane. No problems tracking flight path and speed. Take note that for altitude readings, the HcX needs to be calibrated to a reference altitude source ( HcX co-relates pressure to altitude ) So unless you are in an non pressurized cabin of a small plane, it will not show the correct altitude.

For aviation use, suggest you invest in a correct aviation GPS, starting with a basic 96C https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=152

kingoflimbs
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:08 am
GPS: Garmin
Contact:

Re: Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

#330 Post by kingoflimbs » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:09 am

Hello, I'm from the United States and there is a Garmin 1450 on sale for a good price. What are your thoughts on this model? I have an outdated model and it took forever to find the satellite in Singapore when I loaded msm. Will the 14xx series be an improvement in finding satellites quicker?
Final question, is the latest msm map release or the NT 2010 map better for this unit? Is there a difference?

Thanks!

ETA: I notice the mods are recommending 2465, but it's more expensive than the 1450 that I'm considering. I don't see the 2465 listed in the U.S. Is the equivalent model 2460?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests