Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Re: Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

#331 Post by bartmp8 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 am

kingoflimbs wrote:Hello, I'm from the United States and there is a Garmin 1450 on sale for a good price. What are your thoughts on this model? I have an outdated model and it took forever to find the satellite in Singapore when I loaded msm. Will the 14xx series be an improvement in finding satellites quicker?
Final question, is the latest msm map release or the NT 2010 map better for this unit? Is there a difference?

Thanks!

ETA: I notice the mods are recommending 2465, but it's more expensive than the 1450 that I'm considering. I don't see the 2465 listed in the U.S. Is the equivalent model 2460?
Hi Welcome to MSM,

Let me answer your last question: The lastest MSM maps (MSM v5.xx series) are maps produced internally by
our Admin, using data supplied by our Members and mapped by our Mappers. There is some JCV but at the moment
limited to certain areas of KL only. More JCVs will be added in the future. This map is released roughly every
2 weeks

The MSM NT 2010 is compiled by Garmin using Garmin compiler but the data came from older MSM v5.xx
This map has all the bell & whistle but only fully usable in localised Nuvi units (which the one you intend to get isn't)
This map is released whenever Garmin releases it and I assure you, it won't be a fortnightly even.

If you intend to get the US SKU unit, then go for the MSM v5.xx series map.

Sorry I cannot advise you on the functions of the Nuvi 1xxx series cos I don't have the privilage to own any
new nuvis :cry: Maybe some other Members can help you.

kingoflimbs
GPS: Garmin

#332 Post by kingoflimbs » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:22 am

Bartmp8, thanks for your detail reply. :)

I'm now considering the 2360. Will this model give me near instantaneous satellite lock like 2465? I don't think the 2465 is offered in the U.S.

Another question: When traveling to Singapore and switching on the garmin for the first time, do I need to change the settings or will the GPS know to find the correct maps automatically?

Thanks.

jinteik
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 765

#333 Post by jinteik » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:22 am

kingoflimbs wrote:Bartmp8, thanks for your detail reply. :)

I'm now considering the 2360. Will this model give me near instantaneous satellite lock like 2465? I don't think the 2465 is offered in the U.S.

Another question: When traveling to Singapore and switching on the garmin for the first time, do I need to change the settings or will the GPS know to find the correct maps automatically?

Thanks.

if lets say you buy in US, then you come back to S'pore, all you need to activate the S'pore map and and once the satelite log, it will show your singapore map.

safedriver76
GPS: Garmin 2575

#334 Post by safedriver76 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:11 pm

This is my first post in the forum..I bought a Garmin 2565 yesterday, and I am very satisfied with it so far..Log on is fast, and it is generally quite accurate (though some features available in my previous set is not available in GARMIN..Bought it at Perfect Watch at SLS, and agreed that the services is very good :D Looking forward to learn from the senior forummers here O:)

ManOnTheMoon
GPS: Nuvi

hi

#335 Post by ManOnTheMoon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:09 pm

hi,

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi in the car for 2 yrs now (bought locally in Singapore).comes preloaded with maps etc..

Now I am looking for a Garmin Edge series for cycling..Still wondering whether to get an Edge 705 or Edge 800 series. Still deciding...

Reading around in the forum to see which maps are compatible with these Edge series...

cheers

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Re: hi

#336 Post by bartmp8 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:39 pm

ManOnTheMoon wrote:hi,

I currently have a Garmin Nuvi in the car for 2 yrs now (bought locally in Singapore).comes preloaded with maps etc..

Now I am looking for a Garmin Edge series for cycling..Still wondering whether to get an Edge 705 or Edge 800 series. Still deciding...

Reading around in the forum to see which maps are compatible with these Edge series...

cheers
Just a suggestion, you shouldn't limit your choices to Edge series only, there are plenty of newer and
better Garmin series around like Montana and Oregon. As long as its a garmin GPSr, it will load our maps.
Last edited by bartmp8 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This Topic will be merged into "Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy" in Newbie Lounge at a later date

ManOnTheMoon
GPS: Nuvi

#337 Post by ManOnTheMoon » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:14 pm

thks for the advice..

am still checking out..am looking for sthing more adapted to cycling with cadence, speed and hrm incl. GPS..

cheers

bartmp8
Senior Mapper

#338 Post by bartmp8 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:06 pm

ManOnTheMoon wrote:thks for the advice..

am still checking out..am looking for sthing more adapted to cycling with cadence, speed and hrm incl. GPS..

cheers
Just make sure whatever handheld you choose has a bike mount available.

philipngoi
GPS: none

#339 Post by philipngoi » Mon May 21, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi Moderator bartmap8 - thanks fr directing me here and your info on the vista HCx - i've notice a seller of vista HCx @ S$250 could you direct me to where i can compare SG price i dont seem to b able to google fr it.

PhilipNgoi

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#340 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 pm

philipngoi wrote:Hi Moderator bartmap8 - thanks fr directing me here and your info on the vista HCx - i've notice a seller of vista HCx @ S$250 could you direct me to where i can compare SG price i dont seem to b able to google fr it.

Go visit Perfect Watch@SLS.