Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

jinteik
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 765

Re: Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

#351 Post by jinteik » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:05 pm

cute_kitty305 wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking for a Garmin Navigator to be use in Malaysia. Any recommendation ? Can i go for the basic spec nuvi 50LM ? :-k Thanks

i think the most important thing is to know how much is your budget allocated to your GPS that you want to buy then its easier to tell which to buy

cute_kitty305
GPS: Garmin 50LM

#352 Post by cute_kitty305 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi,

My budget is less than $250. Should i go for 2465LM ? Seem like 50L doesn't come with routes preview. Or not necessary to have the routes preview. The navigator will show the fastest and shortest route, right ? :-? tks

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#353 Post by Redstorm » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:29 pm

cute_kitty305 wrote:Hi,

My budget is less than $250. Should i go for 2465LM ? Seem like 50L doesn't come with routes preview. Or not necessary to have the routes preview. The navigator will show the fastest and shortest route, right ? :-? tks
What route preview are you talking about? I can't find this function in my 2465 and I believe you are referring to the route simulation, yes? Anyway, whether your device select the fastest or shortest route depends on the avoidance pre-set by the user.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

shawnk
GPS: 3970v

#354 Post by shawnk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Dear Taiko/Sifu,

I'm thinking of buying a GPS with the following functions (in order of the questions from http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 84#p133184).

Do you want to control the GPS using your voice? No
Do you care about having an upcoming turn indicator on the map? Yes
Do you want a wide screen display (4:3 inches)? Yes
Is Text-to-Speech important? Yes
Do you want to receive Traffic alerts and avoid traffic jam? Preferably Yes (Don't this require internet connection or something to retrieve such data?)

So based on the above requirement, either Nuvi 255W or Nuvi 265WT suits me but then I believe these two models are out-dated or obsolete models since the chart was posted back in 2008. Please recommend the latest model with the above function!

What I really need is that to be able to use latest maps and able to put in POS (e.g. AeeeeeeeS or speed tr*p).
Of course is to be used in my car and able to recharge it from the car charger and the accuracy of the GPS needs to be good.... used to use one that's update/sync very slowly... by the time when I'm suppose to make a turn, the alert/indicator seems to tell me late.

Think the above requirements pretty standard for any GPS users... I hope. Really appreciate any sifu/taiko here can recommend me. Thanks!

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#355 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:15 am

shawnk wrote:Dear Taiko/Sifu,

I'm thinking of buying a GPS with the following functions (in order of the questions from http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 84#p133184).

Do you want to control the GPS using your voice? No
Do you care about having an upcoming turn indicator on the map? Yes
Do you want a wide screen display (4:3 inches)? Yes
Is Text-to-Speech important? Yes
Do you want to receive Traffic alerts and avoid traffic jam? Preferably Yes (Don't this require internet connection or something to retrieve such data?)

So based on the above requirement, either Nuvi 255W or Nuvi 265WT suits me but then I believe these two models are out-dated or obsolete models since the chart was posted back in 2008. Please recommend the latest model with the above function!

What I really need is that to be able to use latest maps and able to put in POS (e.g. AeeeeeeeS or speed tr*p).
Of course is to be used in my car and able to recharge it from the car charger and the accuracy of the GPS needs to be good.... used to use one that's update/sync very slowly... by the time when I'm suppose to make a turn, the alert/indicator seems to tell me late.

Think the above requirements pretty standard for any GPS users... I hope. Really appreciate any sifu/taiko here can recommend me. Thanks!
Garmin Nuvi 40 should suit your need for a low cost GPS

shawnk
GPS: 3970v

#356 Post by shawnk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:33 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:
Garmin Nuvi 40 should suit your need for a low cost GPS
Thanks, I'll check it out.

ronosco
GPS: Garmin GPS 78s

#357 Post by ronosco » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Hello guys new member here.

I am in a need for a GPS navigator for Malaysia and neigbouring countries, so I was wondering what are my options?
It has to be reasonable because I'm on a tight budget, but I'm not afraid to pay for what is suitable.

Anyway, hope to hear some advice:)

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#358 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 am

ronosco wrote:Hello guys new member here.

I am in a need for a GPS navigator for Malaysia and neigbouring countries, so I was wondering what are my options?
It has to be reasonable because I'm on a tight budget, but I'm not afraid to pay for what is suitable.

Read on post up from your post for a recommendation :-'

ronosco
GPS: Garmin GPS 78s

#359 Post by ronosco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:13 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:
ronosco wrote:Hello guys new member here.

Read on post up from your post for a recommendation :-'
So basically I should go for the Garmin Nuvi 40 then. Does anybody know the price on those locally? Because I plan to buy it there.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#360 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 pm

ronosco wrote:
So basically I should go for the Garmin Nuvi 40 then. Does anybody know the price on those locally? Because I plan to buy it there.
Malaysia is a big country. You might like to indicate which part of the world you are from so people nearest to you can advise :-'