Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

ronosco
GPS: Garmin GPS 78s

Re: Newbie Guide to Choosing Which GPS to Buy

#361 Post by ronosco » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:06 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:
ronosco wrote:
So basically I should go for the Garmin Nuvi 40 then. Does anybody know the price on those locally? Because I plan to buy it there.
Malaysia is a big country. You might like to indicate which part of the world you are from so people nearest to you can advise :-'
I'm from Turkey, planning to go on a trip to South East Asia this summer.Kinda exited and nervous at the same time:)

twelvester
GPS: papago m9

#362 Post by twelvester » Fri May 17, 2013 6:45 pm

for now actually between garmin and papago which one perform better? In terms of satellite and accuracy?

I'm keeping my eyes on papago Z1 and 50LM. both 5" but I would like to know the difference between this two
12BET - Proud Sponsor of WIGAN ATHLETIC

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#363 Post by jasonlee » Fri May 17, 2013 10:49 pm

twelvester wrote:for now actually between garmin and papago which one perform better? In terms of satellite and accuracy?

I'm keeping my eyes on papago Z1 and 50LM. both 5" but I would like to know the difference between this two
We can only comment among Garmin models. Other brands will be outside our scope.
Lean not on your own understanding

pbpb2005
GPS: none

#364 Post by pbpb2005 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi, I'm a newbie from the U.S. and planning a trip to Malaysia and looking for guidance/recommendation for a Garmin GPS.

I am not familiar with Garmin but I noticed there are recommendations for the Garmin Nuvi 40 or 50.

Basically, I would like to know if there are GPS models to avoid or do all of them allow me to install MSM NT v6.xx Malaysia / Singapore / Brunei Garmin GPS Map?

1. Does it matter of the variations (i.e., 50, 50L or 50LM)?
2. Does it matter on specific models that work with these downloaded maps? I see there are newer Garmin models (i.e., 42LM or 52LM). Can I buy the newer models instead and I'll be able to install the Malaysia maps? Or do I have to buy a specific model?

Please advise and I'd like to thank you for your advice in advance.