Mounting GPS to dashboard without dashboard disc

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

ztnias
GPS: nuvi 205w

Mounting GPS to dashboard without dashboard disc

#1 Post by ztnias » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi all,

not sure if this is the correct place to post this.. but.. here it goes...

I wish to mount my 205w on my dashboard instead of windscreen... would the suction cup be strong enough to keep it in place? Do not wish to use the dashboard disc as im concerned that the disc would be permanently stuck on my dashboard..

advise pls? thanks!

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Mounting GPS to dashboard without dashboard disc

#2 Post by SilverBeauty » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:12 pm

ztnias wrote:Hi all,

not sure if this is the correct place to post this.. but.. here it goes...

I wish to mount my 205w on my dashboard instead of windscreen... would the suction cup be strong enough to keep it in place? Do not wish to use the dashboard disc as im concerned that the disc would be permanently stuck on my dashboard..

advise pls? thanks!

:welcome: bro znias :welcome: to malsingmaps

The heat of the dashboard can get pretty hot plus the fact that the suction cup will not attach to the surface of the dsahboard without the disc ( needs a smooth surface ).

A better option is to purchase the "beanbag". See link

https://my.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=806

ztnias

#3 Post by ztnias » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:02 pm

heh.. thanks~

in the first place.. is the included dashboard disc easy to remove? anybody has experience?

taipan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia, iPhone, Garmin and up to 10 Hz NMEA driven. Lastest Nuvi 2565LM with GDR10.

#4 Post by taipan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:21 pm

ztnias wrote:heh.. thanks~

in the first place.. is the included dashboard disc easy to remove? anybody has experience?
My approach to this issue is that if you decide to use the disc, you need to accept that it is permanent. Whether it is easy to remove depends on the surface to which you mount it. If it is easy to removed, it is not likely to be able to hold your mount and device for long, in which case you may have to use the screws to permanently mount it onto the surface for added security. Even if you do not use the screw for permanent mounting, it also depend on where it is and whether it is subjected to the ray of the sun and if it is, then over time, even a short time, again depending on the surface material and treatment, it is likely to give you a patch of different colouration upon removal. So if windscreen mounting is not for you, yes the suggestion of using bean-bag mount may be a better option for you.

996sps
GPS: 760CSx, Nuvi 660

#5 Post by 996sps » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Just my two cents here -

Bean bag mount - be very careful here. Anything unsecured in a moving car in the event of emergency braking or collision becomes a missile that can do extreme injury.

Permanent sticky tape mount - This is the better option. It can be removed easily with acetone (nail varnish remover) or lighter fluid and this would be better. Having said that please be also well aware that it is not in the way of an air bag should it go off. Once again this flying object can cause serious injury.

ztnias

#6 Post by ztnias » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:53 pm

hmm... thanks for all the ans!

think.. i shall use the windscreen suction cup for the time being.. normally ppl wld fix in the middle bottom rite?

rogerv2
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255W US Version

#7 Post by rogerv2 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:07 pm

taipan wrote: in the first place.. is the included dashboard disc easy to remove? anybody has experience?
I stuck the permanent disc on my Altis, right above the 2 DIN CD player. I removed it without any damage after 1 month even though it was somewhat tough to remove. The surface is concave so only some parts of it was stuck to the dash. So if you want to stick it make sure only 1/3 of the glue is stuck to the dash. Mask the rest. Dont worry it is very secure even with only parts of the sticker making contact.

isipadu
GPS: 205w

#8 Post by isipadu » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:13 am

if I want to drill on my dashboard as permenant, is there any GPS mounting available in the market? using 205w.

any idea where i can buy additional gps mounting (suction type) - identical to the suction cap which came with the unit.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#9 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:41 am

isipadu wrote:if I want to drill on my dashboard as permenant, is there any GPS mounting available in the market? using 205w.

any idea where i can buy additional gps mounting (suction type) - identical to the suction cap which came with the unit.
Consider RAM mounts available from fellow forumer mygis via this link : viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8600

chee_loong
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi200 & Nuvi1350

#10 Post by chee_loong » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:01 am

isipadu wrote:if I want to drill on my dashboard as permenant, is there any GPS mounting available in the market? using 205w.

Hi Bro isipadu,

You may purchase online from lelong.com

http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2008- ... an_Bag.htm
http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2009- ... _Mount.htm
http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2008- ... on_cup.htm
Regards,
Chee Loong