Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:50 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Thought I advised you to get an sd card in another post? :-.

Well, if you want to take risk, and I'm assuming that you are a newbie, please understand the following sentence, if your device becomes unusable, cannot startup, cannot do this or that.......please don't come here and complain how whatsoever, we owe you nothing and we promise you nothing... You decide and you make your own choice on how to proceed. O:)

Ok, good, now that the disclaimer is communicated to you, we can go to your query. :wink:

1. If in the garmin directory of your device, there is also a file named gmapsupp.img, that means it is a map of somewhere or place. Do you know where is this place?
2. If you decides that you do not need that file and you do not mind to overwrite it, than you can take the file downloaded from here and overwrite it.

So what is the consequences or possible scenarios?
1. Assuming that luck and good fortune is with you, nothing wrong will happen, the map is fine and your device works perfectly.
2. However, if in the process of downloading, the file gets corrupted and you overwrite the original file, your device may not be working fine, it can shut down by itself, the map may not load properly and the device may malfunction.
3. You may send the faulty device for repair, if it is repairable, it will cost you some money. Or Garmin may not repair for you and you are left with a broken device which could serve some good purpose like as a paper weight.

This faulty outcome can be mitigate if the map is despatch to an SD card. Because if it is a map issue, removing the SD card will allow the device to start up normally. However, if the map is not the issue but a device issue, than obviously, your recourse is to the dealer or Garmin.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:12 pm 

GPS: nuvi 1300
Hi there. I bought my Nuvi 1300 from USA.

I downloaded the file MSM 2012 NT v5.40, saved the .img and .jcv file into the micro sd card.

However i don't see any Sing/Mal maps in my unit. Is there anything that i missed out?

I am a newbie and really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Rizal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:15 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
lovebelow wrote:
Hi there. I bought my Nuvi 1300 from USA.

I downloaded the file MSM 2012 NT v5.40, saved the .img and .jcv file into the micro sd card.

However i don't see any Sing/Mal maps in my unit. Is there anything that i missed out?

I am a newbie and really appreciate your help. Thanks!

Rizal

How did you save those files in your SD card?

Did you create a \Garmin folder to save the gmapsupp.img file in and create a \Garmin\JCV subfolder to save the product.jcv file in? If you did, you will be able to see our Sing/Mal map provided you uncheck all other maps.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:31 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Other than what Bro Jasonlee has mentioned above, have you get your first fix with the satellites, since you say you brought the set in the USA?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:16 pm 

hi jasonlee, yes i did that.

however i did not know how to 'uncheck all other maps' as i do not know how to do that.

@ace - what do you mean by getting first fix with satellites?

thanks all for your help :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:21 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
lovebelow wrote:
hi jasonlee, yes i did that.

however i did not know how to 'uncheck all other maps' as i do not know how to do that.

@ace - what do you mean by getting first fix with satellites?

thanks all for your help :)

To uncheck all other maps, at the home page of your device, go to Tools > Setting > Map Info. At Map Info, it will display all the maps that are stored in your device, both internal and microSD card. Check on only the map you want to use and uncheck the rest. Getting the first fix with satellites meaning log onto the satellites for the first time. Get your device and go into the open. Make sure you are not surrounded by tall buildings and wait for your device to log onto the satellites.

Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:29 pm 

thanks! i have unchecked the USA map. will go outdoor now to get first fix of the satellites.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:22 pm 

GPS: Nuvi 50LM
Hi,
I owned a Nuvi 50LM, bought from US. I've the same problem trying to get unlock code from http://www.garmin.com.sg/mapupdate/4community . Keep saying "Invalid ID or password. Please try again." And yes, I'm using Unit ID from Setup...->About and not serial#. Has the issue been resolved? Thx in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550
alpiner wrote:
Hi,
I owned a Nuvi 50LM, bought from US. I've the same problem trying to get unlock code from http://www.garmin.com.sg/mapupdate/4community . Keep saying "Invalid ID or password. Please try again." And yes, I'm using Unit ID from Setup...->About and not serial#. Has the issue been resolved? Thx in advance.

:welcome:
Try this map. No unlock code is required.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:19 pm 

GPS: Nuvi 50LM
It works. Thx. Though some of the street names are close but not exact, for Penang state. And Garmin does not behave like google by suggesting alternatives to select, that's the frustration part. Nevertheless, appreciate the work done by this community. Kudos!