Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:03 pm 

GPS: nil
Hi all, this may be simple for you experts out there. I have a nuvi1350 and I am having a difficulty removing maps that I no longer need. How do I go about getting them out of the device?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:30 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
hmm.... If it is an authorised copy of maps from Garmin, instead of deleting, why don't you buy a SD card, create a directory called Garmin and move the maps from the device to the Garmin directory in the SD card? However if is not an authorised copy, then just the file.

You can do by plugging the Garmin to your computer, select mass storage when the message appears, and use Windows Explorer to look into the files inside Garmin. When you find the file you do not need, just press delete and rid your device of the files.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:03 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin NĂ¼vi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
siewdanny wrote:
Hi all, this may be simple for you experts out there. I have a nuvi1350 and I am having a difficulty removing maps that I no longer need. How do I go about getting them out of the device?

Default preloaded maps are stored in hidden folder in Nuvi main memory/system.
You need to set windows to display the sub-folder
Access the file and delete the unneeded

gmapprom.img (default Garmin NT commercial map )
gmapprom1.img ( default Garmin-MSM map )
gmappsupp.img ( default Garmin-MFM map )

NOTE : Backup before you delete as it is gone forever :-'

As a newbie be very careful when tinkering / updating maps in main memory. Nuvi is very unforgiving for corrupted map files and will definitely brick your Nuvi if it encounters such files.

Take bro Ace advise to go buy a SD card, create a subfolder /garmin and load map there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:21 pm 

Thank you both ace and Silverbeauty for your post and input.

I have an updated map for ANZ. When I install the latest version, it does not overwrite. So I have the old and the updated visible on my nuvi. Connected to my computer, I went as far as opening the ".system" folder but there is no reference about the file I want to remove. Every single file is "gmap"something. The old file is useless and taking up space.

I took your advice to save the new files to a micro SD but it doesn't solve the issue of freeing up space on the main memory.

Another issue I just encountered is I can't save multiple country maps in the micro SD's Garmin folder as all of them have to same file name - gmapprom. Renaming the files separately and individually doesn't seem to help. :ko:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:42 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
siewdanny wrote:

I have an updated map for ANZ. When I install the latest version, it does not overwrite. So I have the old and the updated visible on my nuvi. Connected to my computer, I went as far as opening the ".system" folder but there is no reference about the file I want to remove. Every single file is "gmap"something. The old file is useless and taking up space.

I took your advice to save the new files to a micro SD but it doesn't solve the issue of freeing up space on the main memory.

Another issue I just encountered is I can't save multiple country maps in the micro SD's Garmin folder as all of them have to same file name - gmapprom. Renaming the files separately and individually doesn't seem to help. :ko:

What you need is a program that can clearly identify which map is which so you can decide what to do.

GmapTool is the program that will do just that. You can download it from here: http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/gmaptool

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:23 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
siewdanny wrote:

Ok... Try another way.

In your SD card, create a x:\Map directory.

Take a map file and move it to this new directory. If you know which country map it is, renamed it as the country.img for example timbuktu2013.img. Or using your NZ map as an example, renamed it NZ2013.img

Repeat the action to move the maps out from the Garmin directory in the SD card and within the Nuvi itself.

Moving the files out from the Nuvi will definitely free up space. The map showing up on the Nuvi could be just an error from uncleared memory. Off it completely could have cleared it up. psst... my theory..could be just rubbish assumption. :-$ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:08 am 

Hey guys... the SD card suggestion works... thanks for all your input!!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 pm 

GPS: GARMIN nuvi 855
This is what I found from Garmin!!!

In order to view some protected files on some Garmin units such as mapping image files show hidden files and folders will need to be enabled. Enabling this feature can be accomplished using the following steps.

PC:

Windows 8:

Press the Windows Key + R key together
Type "Control Panel" in the text box
Click OK
In the Control Panel window click "Appearance and Personalization"
Click "Show hidden files and folders"
Select the radio button for "Show hidden files, folders or drives"
Uncheck the box next to "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
Click the OK button to apply the changes and close the window

Windows 7 and Vista:

Click the start button
In the search field type "folder"
In the search results select "folder options"
On the next window click on the view tab.
In the view tab select the show hidden files and folder option and take the checkmark out of hide protected system files.
Click on apply

To hide the files follow the instructions and put the checkmark back in the appropriate box.

XP:

Open My computer
In my computer click tools and then folder options
In folder options click the view tab
In the view tab select the show hidden files and folders option and take the checkmark out of hide protected system files
Click on apply

To hide the files follow the instructions and put the checkmark back in the appropriate box.

Mac:

Open the Terminal application
Type "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" without the quotes
Press Return
Type "killall Finder" without the quotes
Press Return

To hide the files:

Open the Terminal application
Type "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE" without the quotes
Press Return
Type "killall Finder" without the quotes
Press Return

After following the steps provided the hidden files and folders on the computer will be visible