Newbie Guide to Junction View/3D Buildings Matters

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: Newbie Guide to Junction View/3D Buildings Matters

#371 Post by Redstorm » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Alv37 wrote:Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Need some assistance here.
Currently I'm using Nuvi 40 local set and I just downloaded MSM 2013 NT v6.24.
However I could not use the junction view function. Tried open the JCV file but was unable to do so. Could not unzip and transfer the JCV file to my Garmin set "map" folder.
Pls advise, thks
When you unzip the downloaded file, both the gmapsupp.img file and the JCV product file should show up. If you don't see the JCV file, probably it is incomplete. Please delete it and re-download again.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Alv37
GPS: nuvi 40

#372 Post by Alv37 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:08 pm

Redstorm wrote: When you unzip the downloaded file, both the gmapsupp.img file and the JCV product file should show up. If you don't see the JCV file, probably it is incomplete. Please delete it and re-download again.
So after I extract both the gmapsupp.img file and the JCV product file, I shoud copy them into the map folder? Because I saw an instruction showing this
: - b) Using unit main memory
Option 1
- In the main memory root, create a folder called Map
- Extract gmapsupp.img from the zip file & copy to the Map folder
- You can rename the gmapsupp.img to any other name such as msm.img or mymsm123.img .. etc
- Extract Product.JCV from the zip file & Copy to <Drive:>\.system\JCV\ ---> Don't really understand this part...

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#373 Post by jasonlee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Alv37 wrote:
So after I extract both the gmapsupp.img file and the JCV product file, I shoud copy them into the map folder? Because I saw an instruction showing this
: - b) Using unit main memory
Option 1
- In the main memory root, create a folder called Map
- Extract gmapsupp.img from the zip file & copy to the Map folder
- You can rename the gmapsupp.img to any other name such as msm.img or mymsm123.img .. etc
- Extract Product.JCV from the zip file & Copy to <Drive:>\.system\JCV\ ---> Don't really understand this part...
While what you have read is correct, it is dangerous to use the main memory. An SD card is cheap and is a safer alternative.

Get yourself a micro SD card. 2GB will be more than enough and will cost you less than RM20.

Create in the SD card a \Garmin folder and a \Garmin\JCV\ subfolder.

I cannot assume the \Map folder will work for you because some Nuvi 40s cannot display maps in the \Map folder of the SD card but the \Garmin folder in the SD card will work for sure.

Copy the gmapsupp.img into the \Garmin folder in the SD card.

Copy the Product.JCV into the \Garmin\JCV\ subfolder of the SD card.

For sure you can see the map if downloaded properly but you may or may not be able to see JCV depending on your model. Some models (e.g the Nuvi 40) require the JCV file to be in the main memory before it can be seen. Copying JCV files to the main memory does not present the same risks as copying maps. Hence to copy into the main memory, locate the \.System folder and create a subfolder called \.System\JCV\. Copy an additional copy of the Product JCV into this \.System\JCV\ subfolder then for sure you can see JCVs.

Please note that the Nuvi 40 has a lot of limitations so the general instructions may not apply. If I remember correctly, the Nuvi 40 can only read 1 map in the SD card - either in the \Garmin or \Map folder but not both.
Lean not on your own understanding

Alv37

#374 Post by Alv37 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:50 pm

jasonlee wrote:
While what you have read is correct, it is dangerous to use the main memory. An SD card is cheap and is a safer alternative.

Get yourself a micro SD card. 2GB will be more than enough and will cost you less than RM20.

Create in the SD card a \Garmin folder and a \Garmin\JCV\ subfolder.

I cannot assume the \Map folder will work for you because some Nuvi 40s cannot display maps in the \Map folder of the SD card but the \Garmin folder in the SD card will work for sure.

Copy the gmapsupp.img into the \Garmin folder in the SD card.

Copy the Product.JCV into the \Garmin\JCV\ subfolder of the SD card.

For sure you can see the map if downloaded properly but you may or may not be able to see JCV depending on your model. Some models (e.g the Nuvi 40) require the JCV file to be in the main memory before it can be seen. Copying JCV files to the main memory does not present the same risks as copying maps. Hence to copy into the main memory, locate the \.System folder and create a subfolder called \.System\JCV\. Copy an additional copy of the Product JCV into this \.System\JCV\ subfolder then for sure you can see JCVs.

Please note that the Nuvi 40 has a lot of limitations so the general instructions may not apply. If I remember correctly, the Nuvi 40 can only read 1 map in the SD card - either in the \Garmin or \Map folder but not both.
Thanks for the information.
So far the map is working fine. The Garmin is able to read the map but haven't try out the JCV yet.
I didn't know that I can insert a SD card into this nuvi 40 because it's quite a basic model. Until now u mention, then I found a slot for the mirco SD card.
I think I'm lucky that the map is working fine.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#375 Post by jasonlee » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Alv37 wrote: Thanks for the information.
So far the map is working fine. The Garmin is able to read the map but haven't try out the JCV yet.
I didn't know that I can insert a SD card into this nuvi 40 because it's quite a basic model. Until now u mention, then I found a slot for the mirco SD card.
Please note that there are negligible JCV photos of Singapore in Product.JCV. YOU will have to come to Malaysia or simulate a trip to KL to see some JCV photos.
Lean not on your own understanding

Alv37

#376 Post by Alv37 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 pm

jasonlee wrote:
Alv37 wrote: Thanks for the information.
Please note that there are negligible JCV photos of Singapore in Product.JCV. YOU will have to come to Malaysia or simulate a trip to KL to see some JCV photos.
Btw,
I had just downloaded another map from Garmin.SG. (Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2013.20)
What's it the difference? Because for the map that I downloaded from the offical website, I can see quite a few JCV photos from a route that I simulate. But for MSM 2013 v6.24, I can't see the JCV photos along the same simulated route.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#377 Post by ace » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 pm

Alv37 wrote:....Btw,
I had just downloaded another map from Garmin.SG. (Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2013.20)
What's it the difference? Because for the map that I downloaded from the offical website, I can see quite a few JCV photos from a route that I simulate. But for MSM 2013 v6.24, I can't see the JCV photos along the same simulated route.
Ok... here we go again... [-o<

For newbies or newcomers to this website...welcome

The map that you downloaded from Garmin website are maps that are generated by Garmin themselves, using our map data. But the junction photos are theirs. In other words, we give them the map data, they come up with map (that is several months out-of-date) enhanced with their junction photos.

The map that you downloaded from here, i.e. v6.24, is the map that we ourselves generated using the compiler that Garmin provided to us. In other words, they give us the "machine" for us to generate the map ourselves. Unfortunately we do not have enough photos of the road junctions to add into our map data (usually not more than 2 weeks old)... Here, we need contribution from users to make them. So no contribution mean no junction photo.

So there you go... the difference between the two maps is explained above....
I don't have free fish......

Alv37

#378 Post by Alv37 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:30 pm

ace wrote:
Ok... here we go again... [-o<

For newbies or newcomers to this website...welcome

The map that you downloaded from Garmin website are maps that are generated by Garmin themselves, using our map data. But the junction photos are theirs. In other words, we give them the map data, they come up with map (that is several months out-of-date) enhanced with their junction photos.

The map that you downloaded from here, i.e. v6.24, is the map that we ourselves generated using the compiler that Garmin provided to us. In other words, they give us the "machine" for us to generate the map ourselves. Unfortunately we do not have enough photos of the road junctions to add into our map data (usually not more than 2 weeks old)... Here, we need contribution from users to make them. So no contribution mean no junction photo.

So there you go... the difference between the two maps is explained above....
Ok thks for the explanation.

xbonize
GPS: Nuvi 1460

#379 Post by xbonize » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi ace,

Thanks you very much for your details explanation. :tq:

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#380 Post by ace » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Hello xbonize,

You are most welcome... :D
I don't have free fish......