Newbie Guide to Junction View/3D Buildings Matters

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

mapnut
GPS: MIO P550 + GarminQue

Re: Newbie Guide to Junction View/3D Buildings Matters

#381 Post by mapnut » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi Senior,

My brother got a US Nuvi 1490 set, I just downloaded the MSM 2014 NT V6.63. put the map in the map folder and in JCV on the SD card, but when I simulate route I don't see the junction view, any advice will be greatly appreciate. He claim he did see the JV using the old MFM and Malsing map 2011.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#382 Post by ace » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:47 am

mapnut wrote:Hi Senior,

My brother got a US Nuvi 1490 set, I just downloaded the MSM 2014 NT V6.63. put the map in the map folder and in JCV on the SD card, but when I simulate route I don't see the junction view, any advice will be greatly appreciate. He claim he did see the JV using the old MFM and Malsing map 2011.
Hi.. since you quote v6.63, let's use that.

viewtopic.php?p=209799#p209799

If you go back to the post on the v6.63 release, you need to read the notes on that post, especially those in red words as you would probably have answered your own question, short of clarifying the understanding. The 3rd sentence particularly would have help you if you pay attention. :mrgreen:

Put your brother's comment one side, there are 2 types of maps release under the MSM brand (only MSM discussion here, for MFM please go over there and ask them. :mrgreen: ).

The version that you refer to, i.e. that has version 6.xx are generated by the team here themselves using Garmin technology :-' And the project to include JCV into this version is ongoing or a laborious work in progress project waiting & waiting for unwilling users to assist and contribute. So it is limited by users willingness. We don't have a van or truck with fancy equipment travelling the length and breath of the countries taking pictures of junctions to build in.

On the other hand, there is another map version that is generated by Garmin, the company, with data provided by us. Now this version is different. Garmin as a commercial company has deep pocket full of moolah to ask other commercial company to go out and take photos of junction views to build into the map. So the Garmin generated map has this richness of JVC built into the map. And this map is label as a MSM version but only downloaded from Garmin website. This version is only available for localised version of the devices which not available to you since your set is bought from the USA.

Hope the above comment helps to clarify what you are looking for. :-'
I don't have free fish......

mapnut
GPS: MIO P550 + GarminQue

#383 Post by mapnut » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:27 pm

Hi Ace,

Sorry has been away for a while.

Really appreciate your detailed reply, comments and advice.

I do notice the detail on my 1490 is less then my gmxt, even I loaded the same map.

Any comment?

Thanks in advance.

Mapnut

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#384 Post by ace » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:57 am

Hello Bro Mapnut,

I'm not a technical expert. The other members may be able to assist better. O:) What I can share with you is what I have read and understood. So it may not be 100% helpful or correct. But hey, knowledge is an adventure... the journey is wonderful.

So here goes..

I understand that each device has a selection where you can choose to select more or less details. Please check your device settings. But too much details will slow down your device. You may download a copy of the manual at the below link:

http://support.garmin.com/support/manua ... country=US
I don't have free fish......

noble04
GPS: HTC TyTN II

#385 Post by noble04 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:01 am

I am new to the Garmin 55LM. I tried to update the map yesterday following the instruction for newbie.

I found out the junction view wont appear after I have updated to Jan 2015 map. I suspect it because I never copy the JCV files to my garmin device.

Instruction for newbie:

b) Using unit main memory
Option 1
- In the main memory root, create a folder called Map<----I already got a folder in my device name "map" and there a files call gmapsupp.img in it. (so I do step 3 in my computer before I copy over)
- Extract gmapsupp.img from the zip file & copy to the Map folder
- You can rename the gmapsupp.img to any other name such as msm.img or mymsm123.img .. etc
- Extract Product.JCV from the zip file & Copy to <Drive:>\.system\JCV\ (I cannot find this system folder in my Garmin 55LM even after I set to show hidden files in my file explorer)

Anyone can help me as this is a new model.

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

#386 Post by wsian » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:15 am

noble04 wrote: ... Copy to <Drive:>\.system\JCV\ (I cannot find this system folder in my Garmin 55LM even after I set to show hidden files in my file explorer)
For Windows, folder name as ".xxxxx" is invalid name and therefore it will not auto be displayed. Just manual type it.

noble04
GPS: HTC TyTN II

#387 Post by noble04 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:43 pm

Manual type into where? What to type in? Srry newbie here and not very good with computer stuff.

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin

#388 Post by wsian » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:46 pm

here...
Untitled.png

benski
GPS: nuvi

#389 Post by benski » Fri May 08, 2015 11:57 pm

Hi,

I am having same issue with zumo and I don't think garmin any longer has .system folder on newer models or at least the zumo I can confirm.

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin

#390 Post by wsian » Sat May 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Your device most probably defaulted to mtp mode where you can't access all file folders (including .system folder).
Read here on how to change the usb connecting mode.
viewtopic.php?p=204217#p204217