Newbie Guide to Mapsource Installation & Use

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

johnnylim
GPS: Samsung Galaxy S & Asus Transformer Tablet

Re: Newbie Guide to Mapsource Installation & Use [v6.15.6 et

#421 Post by johnnylim » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:26 pm

bartmp8 wrote: The gmapsupp/gmapprom.img files you downloaded is for your GPSr. Mapsource needs an installer. So far there are
none released for MSM v5.xx of MSM NT maps. The latest one is MSM v4.40, get it here:

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 77#p180477

If you have installed Mapsource correctly, you can update to the latest version by searching for it
under "Help/About" tab. For me, when it comes to Mapsource - if it ain't broke, don't upgrade.
I downloaded and install Mapsouce correctly in Win 7. Run the application and all is ok.

then i downloaded the file MSM_MSv525.zip and install it to a directory. All is ok.

When i start MapSource again, i when into utility & Manage Map product, i can see MSM NT v5.25 listed.

However, i dont see any maps in the map viewing area.

Pls help how do i go abt using MapSouce with MSM??

Also, im not able to download the said EXE file listed in the URL below:-

TIA

Johnny.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#422 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:41 pm

johnnylim wrote:
bartmp8 wrote: The gmapsupp/gmapprom.img files you downloaded is for your GPSr. Mapsource needs an installer. So far there are
none released for MSM v5.xx of MSM NT maps. The latest one is MSM v4.40, get it here:

If you have installed Mapsource correctly, you can update to the latest version by searching for it
under "Help/About" tab. For me, when it comes to Mapsource - if it ain't broke, don't upgrade.
I downloaded and install Mapsouce correctly in Win 7. Run the application and all is ok.

then i downloaded the file MSM_MSv525.zip and install it to a directory. All is ok.

When i start MapSource again, i when into utility & Manage Map product, i can see MSM NT v5.25 listed.

TIA

Johnny.

Download Mapsource MSM Map file from this link : http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 24#p192424

Run file to install into Mapsource
Run Mapsoource, then manually zoom into Sin-Malaysia map tile.

HighlandPathFinder
Qualified Mapper
GPS: Montana 650
Garmin GPSmap 76CSx, 60CSx, 62s
Garmin Mobile XT in Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia N8

#423 Post by HighlandPathFinder » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:27 pm

johnnylim wrote: I downloaded and install Mapsouce correctly in Win 7. Run the application and all is ok.

TIA

Johnny.
Have you check your view setting and that "No Map" is not selected but MSM NT v5.25?
UR What U Think UR

Mohammad
Regular
Regular
GPS: Wisepilot & Nav4All. Marbella 5220 + iGO. MIO H610. Garmin-Asus A10

Very strange...

#424 Post by Mohammad » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:41 pm

I joined this forum a few years ago but from begining till today I can never see the Malsing map on my PC. All I get is the file with the codes when opened but nothing went accordingly. Those days they told me to read the WIKI but it made me more confuse until I asked my friend in Athens, Greece to download iGO Malaysia map into my GPS unit. Can someone (but please don't tell me to read the WIKI) tell me what's wrong?

Thanks!

Best Regards :)

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

Re: Very strange...

#425 Post by jasonlee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:17 pm

Mohammad wrote:I joined this forum a few years ago but from begining till today I can never see the Malsing map on my PC. All I get is the file with the codes when opened but nothing went accordingly. Those days they told me to read the WIKI but it made me more confuse until I asked my friend in Athens, Greece to download iGO Malaysia map into my GPS unit. Can someone (but please don't tell me to read the WIKI) tell me what's wrong?

Thanks!

First, tell us what kind of Garmin GPS do you have. Most of the people who simply tell you to read the Wiki are no longer in MalSingMaps.
Lean not on your own understanding

Mohammad
Regular
Regular

#426 Post by Mohammad » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:02 am

Hi! Thanks for your kind reply!

I don't use any Garmin brand. My GPS unit is model MIO H610 bought in USA and was unlocked in Greece. So I guess I can use Malsingmap too. But my problem is how to download the map and store it in the SD card? I tried yesterday but I don't see the map in my PC, only codes. Frankly speaking, whenever I want to do anything with Malsingmap, such as download it or to see the map, it is always unsuccessful, raised my blood pressure, body temperature, makes my heartbeat fast. There were so many members back then but nobody guide me on how to see the map. It doesn't matter if I cannot use it in my GPS unit but at least I can check on POI or road names which can assist me in travelling or locating places.

Thanks! :)

Best Regards

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#427 Post by jasonlee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:06 am

Mohammad wrote:Hi! Thanks for your kind reply!

I don't use any Garmin brand. My GPS unit is model MIO H610 bought in USA and was unlocked in Greece. So I guess I can use Malsingmap too. But my problem is how to download the map and store it in the SD card? I tried yesterday but I don't see the map in my PC, only codes. Frankly speaking, whenever I want to do anything with Malsingmap, such as download it or to see the map, it is always unsuccessful, raised my blood pressure, body temperature, makes my heartbeat fast. There were so many members back then but nobody guide me on how to see the map. It doesn't matter if I cannot use it in my GPS unit but at least I can check on POI or road names which can assist me in travelling or locating places.

Thanks! :)

Best Regards
Dear Bro Mohammad,

I will only know how to advise you if you are using a Garmin GPS. As you are not, I am not even sure your device can read maps formatted for Garmin devices so will have to leave it to other brothers to advise you.

One thing disturbs me and that is your comment that your device is "unlocked in Greece". I don't know what that means but I hope it has nothing to do with cracking or unauthorized use of software, the discussion of which is strictly forbidden in this Forum.

Mohammad
Regular
Regular

#428 Post by Mohammad » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply!

Well, we can forget about the use of the map in my GPS unit if it is too troublesome. What interest me is to see the map in my PC for references. Do you think you can assist me on this?

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#429 Post by jasonlee » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Mohammad wrote:Thanks for the reply!

Well, we can forget about the use of the map in my GPS unit if it is too troublesome. What interest me is to see the map in my PC for references. Do you think you can assist me on this?

To see our map in your PC, you will need to have MapSource or Basecamp installed in your PC.

Then you can download the map from HERE, unzip it then run the exe file. That's it.

Mohammad
Regular
Regular

#430 Post by Mohammad » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for your guide!

I will try although I have no confidence I will succeed.

Anyway, I will let you know the outcome. You're a very helpful person. May God bless you always.

Best Regards.