Newbie Saying Hello to MSM [Post your HELLO here] Part 2

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

hlee077
GPS: garmin nuvi 255w from nz

Re: Newbie Saying Hello to MSM [Post your HELLO here] Part 2

#331 Post by hlee077 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Hello to all,

I'm a newbie here.. brought a 255w when I went on a trip to NZ and used there.. after back to malaysia, I tried to get the malaysia map for my gps so found this malsingmaps website. I tried download the map (the MSM NT2009.3 )and got my unlock code from the garmin web.. followed the viewtopic.php?f=70&t=16332 instructions.. downloaded to the SD card and tried.. but not working..

Stressed and exhausted.. I brought a 'garmin map' from the sungai wang shop.. well.. used it straight away..but the map is not update enough. I found my position always 'floating' on the map..( coz the road is not there..) frustrated again.. so this time really want to have another try on the malsingmaps..

Can anyone kind enough to help me.. please.

Cathy the foreigner

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#332 Post by dvpro » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:30 pm

hlee077 wrote:...
I tried to get the malaysia map for my gps so found this malsingmaps website. I tried download the map (the MSM NT2009.3 )and got my unlock code from the garmin web.. followed the viewtopic.php?f=70&t=16332 instructions.. downloaded to the SD card and tried.. but not working..
Hi Cathy,
When you say "not working", does that mean you got a msg that the maps could not be unlocked when turning on Nuvi? If yes, usually it means something has gone wrong, either when generating the codes or when preparing UNL file.

When you requested the unlock codes online from the Garmin site, did you enter your Nuvi's Unit ID? If you'd entered Nuvi's serial number instead, the codes would not work with the locked MSM NT map.

To check Nuvi's Unit ID, tap Tools > Settings > System > About. You'll see the Unit ID stated in the About page.

If you're certain the correct Unit ID was used when requesting for the codes, check whether you had pasted correctly in the UNL file (no spaces, etc.). And also make sure both IMG and UNL use the same file name, ie. (GMAPSUPP.IMG + GMAPSUPP.UNL / GMAPPROM.IMG + GMAPPROM.UNL / GMAPPROM1.IMG + GMAPPROM1.UNL if used in Nuvi's internal memory, or GMAPSUPP.IMG + GMAPSUPP.UNL if used in Nuvi's data card).
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

hlee077

#333 Post by hlee077 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Cathy,
When you say "not working", does that mean you got a msg that the maps could not be unlocked when turning on Nuvi? If yes, usually it means something has gone wrong, either when generating the codes or when preparing UNL file.

When you requested the unlock codes online from the Garmin site, did you enter your Nuvi's Unit ID? If you'd entered Nuvi's serial number instead, the codes would not work with the locked MSM NT map.

To check Nuvi's Unit ID, tap Tools > Settings > System > About. You'll see the Unit ID stated in the About page.

If you're certain the correct Unit ID was used when requesting for the codes, check whether you had pasted correctly in the UNL file (no spaces, etc.). And also make sure both IMG and UNL use the same file name, ie. (GMAPSUPP.IMG + GMAPSUPP.UNL / GMAPPROM.IMG + GMAPPROM.UNL / GMAPPROM1.IMG + GMAPPROM1.UNL if used in Nuvi's internal memory, or GMAPSUPP.IMG + GMAPSUPP.UNL if used in Nuvi's data card).[/quote]

Hi dvpro,

Thank you very very much.. I did wrongly enter my serial number instead of my Unit ID..
Now is working perfectly.. just now been testing on some spots which previously missing from the garmin map, this malsingmap has them all.. hoho.. thank you very very much.

So for this version of map, I dun need to contribute anything? I'd be very happy to provide information if i come across some new points of interest..

I should have post the questions earlier.. then I can save back RM80+ for the not-so-update map.

Thank u once again.

Cathy

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#334 Post by Zeus73 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:05 pm

hlee077 wrote:So for this version of map, I dun need to contribute anything? I'd be very happy to provide information if i come across some new points of interest..
Nope... You don't have to contribute anything if you don't wish to... The maps here are free to all...

Of course, if you found any problem or any new POI which you would like to share, we will be happy to put them into the maps... And this is how we get the maps so much updated and accurate when compared to Garmin's City Navigator SG/MY... :mrgreen:

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#335 Post by dvpro » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:20 pm

hlee077 wrote:Hi dvpro,

Thank you very very much.. I did wrongly enter my serial number instead of my Unit ID..
Now is working perfectly.. just now been testing on some spots which previously missing from the garmin map, this malsingmap has them all.. hoho.. thank you very very much.

So for this version of map, I dun need to contribute anything? I'd be very happy to provide information if i come across some new points of interest..

I should have post the questions earlier.. then I can save back RM80+ for the not-so-update map.

Thank u once again.

Cathy
You're welcome. If you plan to do some contributions, it's best if you use latest locked map (yes, there is another version which is more updated than what you're using now :) ). Then, the feedback would be based upon a more updated map. Currently, would be contributors can take advantage of requesting for unlock codes (for the locked maps) even before contributing, read more here: viewtopic.php?p=150187&f=26#p150187
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

hlee077

#336 Post by hlee077 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:40 pm

dvpro wrote:[You're welcome. If you plan to do some contributions, it's best if you use latest locked map (yes, there is another version which is more updated than what you're using now :) ). Then, the feedback would be based upon a more updated map. Currently, would be contributors can take advantage of requesting for unlock codes (for the locked maps) even before contributing, read more here: viewtopic.php?p=150187&f=26#p150187
Thank you.. read the link already.. but it sounds complicated.. not quite sure about the 'mapsource' thing.. maybe i should try sending the pm to adilothman first and work things out step by step..

Well.. since my free version is already that update.. then the latest locked map will be even more acurate !! I wonder will it be difficult to search for new POIs?? :-k :-k

thanks for your help :thumbsup: thanks for the explantation .. very helpful for a new user.

ahza
Junior Tracker
Junior Tracker
GPS: Nuvi 255W

#337 Post by ahza » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:40 am

Hai to all sifus here,
i'm frm Batu Pahat, just using Nuvi255w past 2 weeks, succes installing MSM NT 2009.5 just now but still show POI error etc. I have tract some around my office (Simpang Renggam) can not wait to start contribute to this great community. Still trying to install mapsource right now.

Azhar

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#338 Post by Zeus73 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:24 am

ahza wrote:Hai to all sifus here,
i'm frm Batu Pahat, just using Nuvi255w past 2 weeks, succes installing MSM NT 2009.5 just now but still show POI error etc. I have tract some around my office (Simpang Renggam) can not wait to start contribute to this great community. Still trying to install mapsource right now.

Azhar
:welcome:
Hmm... Not sure what your POI error is about... Need more info...

For those having SG/MY units, I think it's better to disable the Garmin City Navigator map... Especially for user in Malaysia... Just use MSM... :thumbsup:

To change the map settings, touch Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info... The screen will show the maps and the version of each map loaded on your nuvi... Touch a map to enable (check mark) or disable (no check mark) that map...

jaih
GPS: Garmin GPS

#339 Post by jaih » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:00 am

hello all,

i'm jaih from kuantan ..a very newbie in GPS...currently stil waiting my gps arrive lor...

stay
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, Nuvi 255W(Asian Set)

#340 Post by stay » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:20 am

jaih wrote:hello all,

i'm jaih from kuantan ..a very newbie in GPS...currently stil waiting my gps arrive lor...
:welcome: to MSM. Enjoy GPS-ing. Please read http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page for newbies while waiting for your GPSr to arrive.