Newbie Guide Part 3

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C

Re: [Instructions on how to] Join 2 map...

#41 Post by moeyHC » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:28 pm

I have used Gmaptools to combine the Malsing v2.23 & Borneo v2.23 maps. The syntax is as follows:-

Gmaptools -j <space> [gmapsupp.img - malsing] <space> [gmapsupp.img - Borneo] <space> -o [Gmapsupp.img]

The resulting file 'Gmapsupp.img' when loaded into my Nuvi 300 shows no map/s at all.

Loaded this Gmapsupp.img into Sendmap20 to 'regenerate' a 'GMAPSUPP.img' and this time the maps appeared but the Address Search is still not functioning. Also tried combining Malsing with other maps and the results are the same. What did I do wrong (read somewhere that combining an address search map with the non address search version will render all maps non address search, is this true or is it just a Nuvi problem)? Hope someone can help... Thanks and Cheers!
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#42 Post by dvpro » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Bro MoeyHC, your syntax is different from what I'd used.
dvpro wrote:Use Gmaptool to combine maps. Put all "device ready IMG" into same folder as Gmaptool. In CMD (Command Prompt), at gmaptool directory, type:
gmaptool -j -o gmapsupp.img a.img b.img c.img (where gmapsupp.img is target, a.img and so on are the maps to combine).
Also there's some tweaking needed for fresh IMGs before combining with Gmaptool.
viewtopic.php?p=69602#p69602
dvpro wrote:
davidwong wrote:...
but now i face another problem:
i tried to join borneo v2.23, MySin v2.23, Topo tioman, and topo langkawi.it doesnt work.
i be able to generate gmapsupp.img file with a bigger size, but when i copy into my SD card and try to do the search,
it ask for a detail map.
when i try to browse the map, not detail map inside.how come leh??? :ko:
anyone have any idea??? :-? :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
Before combining all IMG including the topo maps, use SendMap20 to combine both topo maps and generate an IMG (create GMAPSUPP.IMG)*, then only use that combined topo IMG with MySin as well as Borneo IMGs to be further combined via Gmaptool.

*Note: This goes for all IMG that is not "device ready", ie. freshly generated IMG by cGPSmapper.
dvpro wrote:Use Gmaptool to combine maps. Put all "device ready IMG" into same folder as Gmaptool. In CMD (Command Prompt), at gmaptool directory, type:
gmaptool -j -o gmapsupp.img a.img b.img c.img (where gmapsupp.img is target, a.img and so on are the maps to combine).
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#43 Post by moeyHC » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks Bro dvpro,

Followed your syntax but still the same problem. No maps shown in the Nuvi. The 2 Gmapsupp.img are from the Gold installer v2.23. Also confirmed the unlock code are entered correctly. :ko:

jgl51
GPS: Nuvi 200W

#44 Post by jgl51 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:40 pm

A very interesting thread even though a bit hard to follow for a newbie....

I thought that with the new Garmin software (e.g. with Nuvi 200W) you could not do any address search when using non Garmin maps even when one has only one map. Isn't it correct?

With the price of SD memory down, one could also load one map per SD card and ..that's it! Not very technical but should aslo work.

Happy Easter to all.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#45 Post by dvpro » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:25 am

jgl51 wrote:...
I thought that with the new Garmin software (e.g. with Nuvi 200W) you could not do any address search when using non Garmin maps even when one has only one map. Isn't it correct?
Actually, some new coding with Malsingmaps enables latest MySin v2.23's Address search to work almost like Garmin ori maps in Nuvis, MXTs and Streetpilots. :thumbsup:
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#46 Post by moeyHC » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:26 am

MS-DOS Batch File For Gmaptool To Join Maps

I have written a simple MS-DOS batch file to ease combining the Malsin and Borneo maps using Gmaptool. This will allow address search.

Procedure :-
- Install Gmaptool to your Garmin folder (C:\Garmin\Gmaptool)
- Download (Gmaptool_AutoJointMapGen.zip) file. Unzip and paste it into the Gmaptool folder ( for some reason files with *.bat extension cannot be attached).

- Rename or backup any Gmapsupp.img file in your Gmaptool folder. The new file will Over Write without warning.
- Copy the C:\Garmin\GPSmappers\MySin\GMASUPP.IMG (Gold version generated with Unlock code entered) file into your Gmaptool Folder and rename as Malsin.img
- Copy the C:\Garmin\GPSMappers\Borneo\GMASUPP.IMG (Gold version generated with Unlock code entered) file into your Gmaptool Folder and rename as Borneo.img
- Double click Gmaptool_AutoJointMapGen.bat to generate the joint MalSin and Borneo GmapSuPP.img

P/S:- Notice the Capitalize GxxxSxPP.img to denote it is generated with this program.

Hope this helps.....n your feedback is appreciated....cheers!

To add more maps see post BELOW
Attachments
Gmaptool_AutoJointMapGen.zip
(223 Bytes) Downloaded 1217 times
Last edited by moeyHC on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#47 Post by bartmp8 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:33 am

Thank you Bro moeyHC. :thumbsup:

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#48 Post by moeyHC » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:27 pm

To Add More Maps

For those who want to add more Maps into the GmapSuPP.img using the above Procedure you can edit the Gmaptool_AutoJointMapGen.bat file.

Procedure:-

- Open the Gmaptool folder using My Computer
- Right Click on Gmaptool_AutoJointMapGen.bat and select edit from the pull down menu.
- The content of the file is listed below

cd\
cd garmin\gmaptool
gmaptool.exe -j -o GmapSuPP.img Malsin.img Borneo.img

- to add more maps add the file name behind Borneo.img (with <space> between all *.img files)
- save the file and exit (Ctrl+S & Alt+F+X).
- ensure all your other maps are in the Gmaptool folder before running the program.

The finished file should look like this:-

cd\
cd garmin\gmaptool
gmaptool.exe -j -o GmapSuPP.img Malsin.img Borneo.img <space> a.img <space> b.img <space> c.img <space> d.img .....etc

Cheers!

jgl51
GPS: Nuvi 200W

#49 Post by jgl51 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Great!

But are you sure this is for newbies and not for old ex :-? perienced foxes??

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#50 Post by moeyHC » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:39 pm

jgl51 wrote:Great!

But are you sure this is for newbies and not for old ex :-? perienced foxes??
Bro jgl51,

You sure have a nice way to say You're an Old...... man! I strongly believe the procedure is simple enough to follow... Old man like me also no problem... young man sure Okay One.... :mrgreen: