Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1079 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:50 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Nuvi 255W & E71+GMXT
mnd_43 wrote:
S'pore quite safe as most Cars now I see have the units inside..... - barnes

yupp... well in other places l dont think so ...

now u see it ... maybe (u is the) next ! ... now u dont !

l always take it with me ... coz of the high temperature !

:D my car insured ... my gps not !

i agree with u mnd_43..

i prefer "SAFETY FIRST"
that's what we called prevention is better than cure

:thumbsup:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:26 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
adriankhoo153 wrote:
How bout jes putting the suction holder there only?

I don't think anybody can answer your question even if a car thief were to be in this forum.

I would say it depends on how desperate the thief is. If not so desperate, he may wait till he finds (and actually sees) something he thinks is of value before breaking in. If he is really desperate, he will break in first then hope to find something of value especially when you display something (the suction cup holder) that may indicate the presence something of value.

Why test your luck especially with the current economic conditions as the crime rate is expected to soar?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:08 pm 

GPS: Garmin XT (6210 Navigator & N95)
hehehe sorry masuk sikit....

i also keep my gps with me coz my gps is in my hset ( Nokia 6110) heheheheh
sorry just joking =P~

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:29 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

GPS: 6210 Navigator
Myself have 3 GPS ...
N95... nuvi 710 ... GPSmap 60CSx...
always with me
never put/use in my car while driving ...

:lol: coz I dont have a car... !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:32 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
mnd_43 wrote:

Since you probably equate that claim as no ownership nor possession of a "car", you must be a walking GPS cyborg type yah? :wink:

Moving on two "kahs" = kaki power mode (= pedestrian settings I guess as well.... :mrgreen: ).

Just make sure you buy the next gadget like a Taser... B4 someone mugs you for yr toys... :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:27 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Garmin GPSMAP60Csx
Garmin NUVI 760
Dopod U1000 Mapking
I copy this mail sent to me by a friend......

Subject: FW: GPS
Date: Monday, February 2, 2009, 10:51 PM

Subject: GPS (IMPORTANT) - PLEASE READ !!!

This one appears to be true. Even it was made up by some one, this instance could happen.

This gives us something to think about with all our new electronic technology.

GPS
A couple of weeks ago a friend told me that someone she knew had their car broken into while they were at a football
match. Their car was parked on the green which was adjacent to the football stadium and specially allotted to football fans. Things stolen from the car included a garage door remote control, some money and a GPS which had been prominently mounted on the dashboard.

When the victims got home, they found that their house had been ransacked and just about everything worth anything had
been stolen.

The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage
door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean up the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

Scary when thieves learns how to use the GPS eh?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:04 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
Thats absolutely right brudder Cflai. Its also more assuring and cheaper too to have a trained guard dog(s) that snarls at suspicious characters lurking about even B4 they approach the front gate or about to climb over the back /rear hedges or gates. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:26 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
cflai wrote:
The thieves had used the GPS to guide them to the house. They then used the garage remote control to open the garage door and gain entry to the house. The thieves knew the owners were at the football game, they knew what time the game was scheduled to finish and so they knew how much time they had to clean up the house. It would appear that they had brought a truck to empty the house of its contents.

Nothing so scary if you practice good habits just like good computing.

I have read this in another forum and my simple answer is DO NOT PROGRAM THE GO HOME FEATURE. Thieves are not psychic and they cannot know where your home is unless you tell them. If you want to have the one-touch convenience to navigate to home, then make a POI of your home the same way you do it for the homes of your friends but just make sure that the thief cannot guess that it is your home. They can't be trying every one of your Favorites to find out. The same advice applies to cellphones.

If you are really paranoid, clear your Recently Found before you shut down. Then for sure, no thief will be able to know where your home is.

Your luck is out if you have a Nuvi 205 as the Trip Log feature can easily show your most frequently visited place and easy for the thief to guess if it is your home.

In any case, it is prudent not to leave the GPS in your car for your own protection - not just the protection of the unit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:54 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

cflai wrote:

jasonlee wrote:
In any case, it is prudent not to leave the GPS in your car for your own protection - not just the protection of the unit.

My nuvi 710 have Garmin 4 digit safety lock which required at every power ' ON '.
At least any thief can have it but cannot use it unless he/she knows the secret numbers
or at the perfect location where I first set it !.

Thanks to Garmin ...

:D

Last edited by mnd_43 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:01 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

mnd_43 wrote:

cruiser wrote:

Since you probably equate that claim as no ownership nor possession of a "car", you must be a walking GPS cyborg type yah? :wink:

Moving on two "kahs" = kaki power mode (= pedestrian settings I guess as well.... :mrgreen: ).

Just make sure you buy the next gadget like a Taser... B4 someone mugs you for yr toys... :evil:

I m joking la bro ... Vans , Lorries , 4WDs , buses n etc are still considered as CAR !

:lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1079 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 108  Next