Loading MSM into Nuvi part 3

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

butter finger
GPS: Garmin nuvi 205W

Re: Newbie Saying Hello to MSM [Post your HELLO here] Part 2

#111 Post by butter finger » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:50 pm

Hello, newbie here. Bought Garmin 205W 2 months ago and found it to be quite not helpful at times. Out of 10 times I took the wrong route, 1~2 times the Garmin did not recalculate the route. It just idle there for few minutes and I had to reset the destination in order for it to recalculate. Anyone experiencing this?

And few minutes ago I was searching for Jalan Pasar in KL and could not locate it. I could see it in the map but when search it says "No match found". Even tried "Jln Pasar, Pasar Road" but to no avail. :nutz: Help please?

Thanks

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#112 Post by jasonlee » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:57 pm

butter finger wrote:Hello, newbie here. Bought Garmin 205W 2 months ago and found it to be quite not helpful at times. Out of 10 times I took the wrong route, 1~2 times the Garmin did not recalculate the route. It just idle there for few minutes and I had to reset the destination in order for it to recalculate. Anyone experiencing this?

And few minutes ago I was searching for Jalan Pasar in KL and could not locate it. I could see it in the map but when search it says "No match found". Even tried "Jln Pasar, Pasar Road" but to no avail. :nutz: Help please?

Thanks
A Nuvi 205 is just the hardware but it is the software - the map, that routes you to where you want to go.

What map is installed in your Nuvi205W? Did you install it yourself or just used whatever your vendor provided?

To find out, touch Tools (spanner icon) > Settings > Map > Map Info

Post the info here and there will be plenty of brothers who can help you out.
Lean not on your own understanding

butter finger

#113 Post by butter finger » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. The maps are pre loaded as I did not have time to update until now.

Maps: Malfreemaps v1.55
MFM POI v1.55
MFM Road POI v1.55
Thailand NT_CLM

The salesman told me that malsing is better hence I am trying to update now. He did not provide me with a SD card, and I tried to connect 205W straight to pc using USB cable but the gps is not communicating with pc. I guess I need a micro SD card in order to install new map?

And what will happen if I install malsing? The MFM will be gone?

Thanks

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#114 Post by jasonlee » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:24 pm

butter finger wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. The maps are pre loaded as I did not have time to update until now.

Maps: Malfreemaps v1.55
MFM POI v1.55
MFM Road POI v1.55
Thailand NT_CLM

The salesman told me that malsing is better hence I am trying to update now. He did not provide me with a SD card, and I tried to connect 205W straight to pc using USB cable but the gps is not communicating with pc. I guess I need a micro SD card in order to install new map?

And what will happen if I install malsing? The MFM will be gone?

Thanks
Your installed map belongs to MFM. We cannot comment on the maps of others. Besides that, your MFM map is at least 10 weeks out of date.

Yes, if you instal MSM map into your GPS, it will over-write the MFM map because they use the same file-name.

If you instal one map in your GPS and the other in an SD card, only the map in the GPS will be read properly but the one in the SD card may have certain parts of the country blank because of conflicting map IDs so you really need to choose one and cannot have both at the same time.

If your PC cannot recognise your GPS, you need to download the USB drivers and install them. You can download from here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download ... jsp?id=591

If you wish to download and instal our MSM map, then you need to follow the following procedure to gain access to the download page and obtain the unlock code as well: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=29

In good faith we will give you the unlock codes first and trust that you will make your contributions later.
Lean not on your own understanding

butter finger

#115 Post by butter finger » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Thanks for the info but seems that I cant access the page. I need to contribute something in order to access? Cheers

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#116 Post by Zeus73 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:04 pm

butter finger wrote:Thanks for the info but seems that I cant access the page. I need to contribute something in order to access? Cheers
Sorry. Point you to the wrong link.

We have 2 version of MSM map here.

For beginner, we got the download and use NT map. You can refer to this.

For more advance user, or someone who would like to contribute, we also got the CGPSMAPPER version. This version requires an unlock code which will be given upon request. It can also works in MapSource. You can refer to this. Please take note of the 2nd post.

butter finger

#117 Post by butter finger » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:08 pm

I tried connect the 205W to pc but pc does not detect it. Was using this usb cable: http://www.liquidware.com/system/0000/0 ... _thumb.jpg

I suppose that is the correct cable?

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#118 Post by Redstorm » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:11 pm

butter finger wrote:I tried connect the 205W to pc but pc does not detect it. Was using this usb cable: http://www.liquidware.com/system/0000/0 ... _thumb.jpg

I suppose that is the correct cable?
Am sure your 205W comes with the original Garmin cable, right? Why do didn't you use it and instead used another different type?
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

butter finger

#119 Post by butter finger » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:19 pm

No bro, it only comes with the car charger and suction. No usb cable, had to use on shelf type. Upon connecting the unit to pc, it power on itself and said "External power is disconnected, continue to turn on?". Select "Yes" and it will keep on asking the same question. Select "No" will off the unit and turn on again and repeat the loops ](*,)

Read the manual and it says the usb cable is included in some 205W package. This was a surprise gift from gf, hence I didn't have the chance to bargain for the cable.

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#120 Post by Redstorm » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:25 pm

butter finger wrote:No bro, it only comes with the car charger and suction. No usb cable, had to use on shelf type. Upon connecting the unit to pc, it power on itself and said "External power is disconnected, continue to turn on?". Select "Yes" and it will keep on asking the same question. Select "No" will off the unit and turn on again and repeat the loops ](*,)

Read the manual and it says the usb cable is included in some 205W package. This was a surprise gift from gf, hence I didn't have the chance to bargain for the cable.
Usually the normal package should include the USB cable, car charge and suction. If it doesn't come with it, in the first place, should have got your gf to go back to the shop to demand for it since it is stated in the manual. A safe bet is to buy the original from Garmin.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P