Loading MSM into Nuvi part 3

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

Re: Newbie Saying Hello to MSM [Post your HELLO here] Part 2

#121 Post by Zeus73 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:21 pm

butter finger wrote:No bro, it only comes with the car charger and suction. No usb cable, had to use on shelf type. Upon connecting the unit to pc, it power on itself and said "External power is disconnected, continue to turn on?". Select "Yes" and it will keep on asking the same question. Select "No" will off the unit and turn on again and repeat the loops ](*,)

Read the manual and it says the usb cable is included in some 205W package. This was a surprise gift from gf, hence I didn't have the chance to bargain for the cable.
Err... Are you connecting your nuvi to a USB Hub?

If not, maybe your cable is faulty.

butter finger
GPS: Garmin nuvi 205W

Re: Loading MSM into Nuvi part 3

#122 Post by butter finger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:11 am

Nope, not using USB hub. Use usb to mini usb direct to pc. Tried on laptop as well but cant. Tried with two different cables yet failed. I called the salesperson and he said it does not came with usb cable, even the box's printing does not includes one.

I have been thinking the two cables I got came bundled with camera and mp3 player. Is it because the gauge size too small? ie not feeding enough power to 205W. At times the 205W started to link with pc and in the end it says "External Power Lost".

I googled and found that the price for replacement cable is rather ridiculous.

sweechoy
GPS: nuvi 200

[nüvi 200]Need help on how to updating map....

#123 Post by sweechoy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:59 am

I review many topic already but i still don't know the right procedure 2 updating the map,
and i very confuse which version of map should i download for it.... :ko:
So,can any1 tell me step by step in updating latest malaysia map for my nüvi 200???

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

Re: [nüvi 200]Need help on how to updating map....

#124 Post by dvpro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:24 am

sweechoy wrote:I review many topic already but i still don't know the right procedure 2 updating the map,
and i very confuse which version of map should i download for it.... :ko:
So,can any1 tell me step by step in updating latest malaysia map for my nüvi 200???
Recommended map for newbie: Official Garmin compiled Malsingmaps Malaysia / Singapore / Brunei NT 2009.5 (FREE) :thumbsup:
Last edited by bartmp8 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This Topic will be merged into "Loading MSM into Nuvi Part 3" at a later date
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#125 Post by dvpro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:34 am

butter finger wrote:Nope, not using USB hub. Use usb to mini usb direct to pc. Tried on laptop as well but cant. Tried with two different cables yet failed. I called the salesperson and he said it does not came with usb cable, even the box's printing does not includes one.

I have been thinking the two cables I got came bundled with camera and mp3 player. Is it because the gauge size too small? ie not feeding enough power to 205W. At times the 205W started to link with pc and in the end it says "External Power Lost".

I googled and found that the price for replacement cable is rather ridiculous.
It seems that Nuvi will not power on into USB Mass Storage mode. Normally, when connected to PC, it goes into USB Mass Storage mode. I think this has got to do with your bundled cables. Try using a normal USB cable instead. FYI, I have been using several normal USB cables to connect several Nuvis all this while, and has not had any problems at all.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#126 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:21 am

I have an array of USB to mini USB cables in my arsenal of cables collection. Only time I encounter the problem of insufficient power is when this is plug into a multiple USB hub extender such as one shown in picture but then I had filled the port with devices that are current hungry :-'
Attachments
4port hub.jpg

butter finger

#127 Post by butter finger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:44 pm

All, thanks for the prompt replies. Will try with other cables and pc. But of course any time soon I can refer to the seller but that would be my last resort since the unit was purchased in KL and I stay nowhere near KL. Cheers.

butter finger

#128 Post by butter finger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:21 pm

Just popped up in my mind, can I check whether my unit is original from Garmin or AP set? I personally believe the unit cant communicate with pc is ridiculous. Does AP set has anything to do with this? I read from other forum saying that ori 205W sells for around RM1k whereas mine was RM840.

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#129 Post by Zeus73 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:32 pm

butter finger wrote:Just popped up in my mind, can I check whether my unit is original from Garmin or AP set? I personally believe the unit cant communicate with pc is ridiculous. Does AP set has anything to do with this? I read from other forum saying that ori 205W sells for around RM1k whereas mine was RM840.
Based on the maps you have listed in your previous post, your unit don't look like a local set to me.

But you can do another check here. Select "Singapore/Malaysia", then "'Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT 2009.5 (2009-06)". There a box to enter your serial number of your GPS device which can be found on the bottom of your unit.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#130 Post by dvpro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:50 pm

butter finger wrote:...
I personally believe the unit cant communicate with pc is ridiculous. Does AP set has anything to do with this?
Of course not.