Newbie Guide to MSM Map Versions & Local/Non Localised Nuvi

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Newbie Guide to MSM Map Versions & Local/Non Localised Nuvi

#1 Post by bartmp8 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:28 am

Newbie Guide to MSM Map Versions and Compatibility to Various GPSr

By now you are probably wondering why are there so many versions of MSM/Garmin Maps
and this may confuse some of you.

Firstly within each map version, there are different editions - e.g. MSM NT v5.00 or MSM NT v5.01
where the higher xx value means a later edition thus we usually refer a map to being MSM NT v5.xx to
mean MSM Series 5 maps (I'll explain the series later).

Lets start with the different Map versions available:

1) Garmin City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 201x.xx (Garmin CN NT201x.xx)
2) MSM Maaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT 201x.xx Localised version (MSM NT 201.x.xx Localised)
3) MSM NT 201.x.xx Non-Localised version (MSM NT 201x.xx)
4) MSM v5.xx

Work in progress

gongkia2000
GPS: Garmin 1350

question regarding MSM v5.xx and NT 2011.10

#2 Post by gongkia2000 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:04 am

Hello. I have trawled the forums for a couple of days now, decided to post here just to clarify some queries after I purchased my Nuvi 1350 yesterday (local set).

1)

I have installed the latest 2011.XX MSM NT from the official Garmin site.
I also installed the latest 5.XX MSM NT map from this site.

Now I have 3 maps in my maps list, 1: 2011.XX MSM NT, 2:5.XXMSM NT, and the City Navigator 2010.XX map.

Should I check the boxes on all 3 maps?

2)

I installed the 5.XX MSM NT maps on an SD card by creating a MAP folder. Please allow me to clarify, the Product.JCV file should be put in MAP\JCV folder?

3)

Is it worth it to purchase SLA Maps? Will it enable me to do things like accurate HDB block searching?

I tried searching for the new Serangoon NEX mall but no results were found, even with the latest 5.XX MSM NT March update.

Please help! Thanks! Your answers will be appreciated.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: For First-Time Visitors (The FAQ of all FAQs!) UPDATED 2

#3 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:44 am

gongkia2000 wrote:Hello. I have trawled the forums for a couple of days now, decided to post here just to clarify some queries after I purchased my Nuvi 1350 yesterday (local set).

1)

I have installed the latest 2011.XX MSM NT from the official Garmin site.
I also installed the latest 5.XX MSM NT map from this site.

Now I have 3 maps in my maps list, 1: 2011.XX MSM NT, 2:5.XXMSM NT, and the City Navigator 2010.XX map.

Should I check the boxes on all 3 maps?
Use ONE (1) map at any one time

2)

I installed the 5.XX MSM NT maps on an SD card by creating a MAP folder. Please allow me to clarify, the Product.JCV file should be put in MAP\JCV folder?
Yours is localized set so JCV feature is already available when running Garmin NavTeqNT / MSM NT2011.10

3)

Is it worth it to purchase SLA Maps? Will it enable me to do things like accurate HDB block searching?

I tried searching for the new Serangoon NEX mall but no results were found, even with the latest 5.XX MSM NT March update.

The Postal code search embedded in Garmin Navteq / MSM NT2011.10 already comprehensive but not complete.
Choice is yours to invest in official Singapore Land Authority SLA feature for most complete code.
For known buildings, suggest use POI search.
For Garmin Navteq, Next is not yet in map
For MSM NT2011.10 MainMenu - WhereTo - PointsOfInterest - Full Search. It should find Shaw Nex.
For MSM NT5.10. MainMenu - WhereTo - PointsOfInterest - Full Search. It should find Nex Mall

Please help! Thanks! Your answers will be appreciated.

gongkia2000

#4 Post by gongkia2000 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:00 pm

Thank you for your prompt and comprehensive reply.

May I ask why only 1 map should be checked at any one time?

Also, when you say mine is already localized set, do you mean that I don't have to bother about the JCV file?

Thanks!

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#5 Post by bartmp8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:24 pm

gongkia2000 wrote:Thank you for your prompt and comprehensive reply.

May I ask why only 1 map should be checked at any one time?

Also, when you say mine is already localized set, do you mean that I don't have to bother about the JCV file?

Thanks!
Imagine, your GPS is your car and the 3 maps are 3 steering wheels operated by 3 drivers with different
driving characteristics and destination. Do you think you as a passenger will have a nice ride? It is better
to put away the 2 other steering and use 1 at a time. GPS are machines that follow set series of
instructions. When you have different maps of the same area in use, it confuses the hell out of the GPS.
You can have say maps of Aust, UK, US and MY/SG running at the same time but you cannot have more than
1 MY/SG running together.

Localised versions mean you can view Junction View using the MSM 2011.xx maps. Non-localised
units cannot see the JCV using the map. Our MSM NT 5.xx maps are now compiled with JCV starting
with certain areas of KL and increasing with newer updates. The MSM v5.xx maps will show JCV on
all Nuvi supporting JCV regardless of local or Alien.

gongkia2000

Re: question regarding MSM v5.xx and NT 2011.10

#6 Post by gongkia2000 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:52 pm

Thank you very much bart.

Then besides being more updated, is there a difference between the 5.XX and the official 2011.XX versions of the MSM NT maps?

Which map out of the 3 would a regular user use? As far as I know only the CN Map supports postal code searching?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#7 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 pm

gongkia2000 wrote:Thank you very much bart.

Then besides being more updated, is there a difference between the 5.XX and the official 2011.XX versions of the MSM NT maps?

Which map out of the 3 would a regular user use? As far as I know only the CN Map supports postal code searching?

Depends on your needs and preferences.

2011.XX is Garmin compiled based on MSM data while CN is based on Navteq data. These are less frequent quarterly releases

MSM 5.xx is updated weekly so more updated but CN map has the bells and whistles for now like JCV etc.. I toggle depending on needs and preferences. I can use MSM 5.xx for searching a particular POI / Address and then switch to CN for navigation.

gongkia2000

#8 Post by gongkia2000 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:46 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:

Depends on your needs and preferences.

2011.XX is Garmin compiled based on MSM data while CN is based on Navteq data. These are less frequent quarterly releases

MSM 5.xx is updated weekly so more updated but CN map has the bells and whistles for now like JCV etc.. I toggle depending on needs and preferences. I can use MSM 5.xx for searching a particular POI / Address and then switch to CN for navigation.
Alright.

Thank you very much mr silverbeauty and mr bart.

Look forward to using my GPS later.

ck1
GPS: garmin

FAQ

#9 Post by ck1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:24 pm

May i know what differ City Navigator Singapore/ Malaysia NT 2011.20 and Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10 ? If i down MSM from here i, i need to untick this two map ? JV is use MSM or City Navigator ?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: FAQ

#10 Post by SilverBeauty » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:35 pm

ck1 wrote:May i know what differ City Navigator Singapore/ Malaysia NT 2011.20 and Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10 ? If i down MSM from here i, i need to untick this two map ? JV is use MSM or City Navigator ?

City Navigator Singapore-Malaysia is a commercial map from Garmin

Malsingmap Singapore-Malaysia-Brunei is a collaboration between Garmin and Malsingmap. This map is free for all who registered at garmin.com.sg website.

You are advised to use only one map of same region at one time.