Newbie Guide to MSM Map Versions & Local/Non Localised Nuvi

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

Re: FAQ

#11 Post by jasonlee » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:41 pm

ck1 wrote:May i know what differ City Navigator Singapore/ Malaysia NT 2011.20 and Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10 ? If i down MSM from here i, i need to untick this two map ? JV is use MSM or City Navigator ?
City Navigator Singapore/ Malaysia NT 2011.20 is made by Garmin using data they bought.

Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10 is based on MSM data but also made by Garmin.

Both have JV but they must not both be ticked. This is a problem with their distributors ticking both by default. You should choose only one or the other otherwise, you may have routing problems.

MSM NT v5.xx also has JV but much less in comparison and only for KL. The advantage is the data is most up-to-date as the data in the latest release is only a couple of weeks old but the data in the Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10 is many months old.

Your choice is what is more important to you - latest and most up-to-date map or map with more JCV pictures. You may find some advantage using City Navigator Singapore/ Malaysia NT 2011.20 in Singapore.
Lean not on your own understanding

ck1
GPS: garmin

#12 Post by ck1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:44 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:
ck1 wrote:May i know what differ City Navigator Singapore/ Malaysia NT 2011.20 and Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10 ? If i down MSM from here i, i need to untick this two map ? JV is use MSM or City Navigator ?

City Navigator Singapore-Malaysia is a commercial map from Garmin

Malsingmap Singapore-Malaysia-Brunei is a collaboration between Garmin and Malsingmap. This map is free for all who registered at garmin.com.sg website.

You are advised to use only one map of same region at one time.
You mean only one of City Navigator Singapore/ Malaysia NT 2011.20 or Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10 of same region at same time ? thanks for your reply :muak:

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#13 Post by jasonlee » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:08 pm

ck1 wrote:
You mean only one of City Navigator Singapore/ Malaysia NT 2011.20 or Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2011.10 of same region at same time ? thanks for your reply :muak:
Yes absolutely.

sggps
GPS: gamin xt

#14 Post by sggps » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:47 pm

if i want to have 2 map data from here and another website, how can i have them in the device as both uses same name.

can i rename it? :-?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#15 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:39 pm

sggps wrote:if i want to have 2 map data from here and another website, how can i have them in the device as both uses same name.

Depends on which Nuvi you have.

Latest generation 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx series, you put map into the Main Memory/map or SD card/map directory and rename to any name you want. The number of maps that can be loaded is the capacity of the SD card

Older generation 2xx, 3xx, 4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx series, you can only put one map into SD card/garmin directory. You can store another 3 into Main Memory/garmin directory under name gmapsupp.img, gmapprom.img, gmapprom1.img

sggps

#16 Post by sggps » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:47 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:
sggps wrote:if i want to have 2 map data from here and another website, how can i have them in the device as both uses same name.

Depends on which Nuvi you have.

Latest generation 1xxx, 2xxx, 3xxx series, you put map into the Main Memory/map or SD card/map directory and rename to any name you want. The number of maps that can be loaded is the capacity of the SD card

Older generation 2xx, 3xx, 4xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx series, you can only put one map into SD card/garmin directory. You can store another 3 into Main Memory/garmin directory under name gmapsupp.img, gmapprom.img, gmapprom1.img

thanks. mine belong to older models :thumbsup:
will give it a try on what u mentioned

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#17 Post by jasonlee » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 pm

If your dilemma is with the maps from both websites named gmapsupp.img, renaming it will not work unless the maps cover different geographical regions. As long as the cover Malaysia or Singapore, you have to choose only one at a time. There is no work-around.

sggps

#18 Post by sggps » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 pm

jasonlee wrote:

If your dilemma is with the maps from both websites named gmapsupp.img, renaming it will not work unless the maps cover different geographical regions. As long as the cover Malaysia or Singapore, you have to choose only one at a time. There is no work-around.
u are right that both map data uses same name gmapsupp.img,
maybe i can try placing MSM gmapsupp.img to see differentiate the map data and only select one in active use at anyone time? :ko:

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#19 Post by jasonlee » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:50 pm

sggps wrote: u are right that both map data uses same name gmapsupp.img,
maybe i can try placing MSM gmapsupp.img to see differentiate the map data and only select one in active use at anyone time? :ko:
You should try using both maps on their own individually and note which serves you better for what purpose then use that map for that purpose.

For example if you find the other map is better for kampung roads, then use that when you want to route to kampung roads but should you find that our MSM map is better for the cities, then use MSM when you wish to route to cities.

sggps

#20 Post by sggps » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:44 pm

jasonlee wrote:
sggps wrote: u are right that both map data uses same name gmapsupp.img,
You should try using both maps on their own individually and note which serves you better for what purpose then use that map for that purpose.

For example if you find the other map is better for kampung roads, then use that when you want to route to kampung roads but should you find that our MSM map is better for the cities, then use MSM when you wish to route to cities.

i like msm for jcv