How to download MSM to Garmin Handheld Part 3

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

kelvin_maps
GPS: 60csx

Re: Need help and info on Garmin LEGEND HCx

#51 Post by kelvin_maps » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 am

bartmp8 wrote:
The Raya Edition will definitely work (MSM v4.41)

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 02#p180602

Maybe this new NT format will also work, I'm not sure (MSM NT v5.02) - Latest

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 80#p182680
Can anyone help to confirm if the latest MSM NT v5.02 can be used with 60CSx? I have the Raya edition installed but not too sure if MSM NT can be used for 60CSx...?

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#52 Post by Zeus73 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:45 am

kelvin_maps wrote:Can anyone help to confirm if the latest MSM NT v5.02 can be used with 60CSx? I have the Raya edition installed but not too sure if MSM NT can be used for 60CSx...?
The Raya Edition (2010) is already in NT-like header. If your 60CSx can read that map, it shouldn't have any problem reading the new MSM NT v5.xx.

kelvin_maps
GPS: 60csx

#53 Post by kelvin_maps » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:58 pm

Zeus73 wrote:The Raya Edition (2010) is already in NT-like header. If your 60CSx can read that map, it shouldn't have any problem reading the new MSM NT v5.xx.
Cool...thanks for the clarification.

offseid
GPS: Garmin eTrex Legend Cx

Cannot upload map into eTrex Legend Cx

#54 Post by offseid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 pm

Hi all, fairly new geocacher here and a brand new GPSr owner (I'd been using my Nokia 5800 for geocaching before this). I'm happy with my purchase but for now it's merely a little gadget since I can't upload the MalSingMaps mapset onto it. Can anyone help?

I've browsed the forums, but many of the entries are outdated since this is an older model. I've tried MapSource, but can't seem to get the IMG file to show up there (I'm using the most recent map, 27 Dec 2010 I think?, with no unlock code). I tried the GM-MySin.exe installer (took forever to find it!), but I still could not see the map in MapSource.

I've tried IMG2GPS, and everything SEEMED to be working. No error messages, my eTrex said it was transferring data, and when I browsed the SD card I can see the gmapsupp.img file there! But no map is showing up, and in Setup-->Map I don't see the new map listed.

Anyone? Anyone? I went to a Garmin shop cuz I heard that some kedai can do it for you for like RM15, but they wanted RM150. What is this, 2008? Gimme a break.

So anyway, I'd appreciate any and all help!!!

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

Re: Cannot upload map into eTrex Legend Cx

#55 Post by jasonlee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:37 pm

offseid wrote:Hi all, fairly new geocacher here and a brand new GPSr owner (I'd been using my Nokia 5800 for geocaching before this). I'm happy with my purchase but for now it's merely a little gadget since I can't upload the MalSingMaps mapset onto it. Can anyone help?

I've browsed the forums, but many of the entries are outdated since this is an older model. I've tried MapSource, but can't seem to get the IMG file to show up there (I'm using the most recent map, 27 Dec 2010 I think?, with no unlock code). I tried the GM-MySin.exe installer (took forever to find it!), but I still could not see the map in MapSource.

I've tried IMG2GPS, and everything SEEMED to be working. No error messages, my eTrex said it was transferring data, and when I browsed the SD card I can see the gmapsupp.img file there! But no map is showing up, and in Setup-->Map I don't see the new map listed.

Anyone? Anyone? I went to a Garmin shop cuz I heard that some kedai can do it for you for like RM15, but they wanted RM150. What is this, 2008? Gimme a break.

So anyway, I'd appreciate any and all help!!!
:welcome: to MalSingMaps Bro Offseid,

Were you trying to load the map into the internal memory of your Etrex? That is my guess what you were trying to do. If so, please note that the internal memory of the Etrex is not user-accessible. To use our maps, you need to buy a micro SD card and load the map into the card.

1. Access your SD card using a card reader and create a /Garmin Folder in the card.

2. Download our latest map from
HERE: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 84#p184684

3. Unzip the downloaded file and copy the resultant gmapsupp.img into the /Garmin Folder in your SD card (or extract directly into the the /Garmin Folder in your SD card).

4. Insert the SD card into your Etrex and you are ready to go geocaching.

Have fun.

PS/ There is no MapSource installer available for our MSM NT v5.xx series maps yet but if you really need to see our map in MapSource, the latest was released on 1.9.2010 and available from here: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 77#p180477

On second reading, oops, I see that you do have an SD card. Then your problem is either the map is locked or the image file is not correctly named or it is not in a /Garmin folder in the SD card.
Lean not on your own understanding

offseid

#56 Post by offseid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:53 pm

jasonlee wrote:Were you trying to load the map into the internal memory of your Etrex? That is my guess what you were trying to do. If so, please note that the internal memory of the Etrex is not user-accessible. To use our maps, you need to buy a micro SD card and load the map into the card.

1. Access your SD card using a card reader and create a /Garmin Folder in the card.
2. Download our latest map from
HERE: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 84#p184684
3. Unzip the downloaded file and copy the resultant gmapsupp.img into the /Garmin Folder in your SD card (or extract directly into the the /Garmin Folder in your SD card).
4. Insert the SD card into your Etrex and you are ready to go geocaching.

Have fun.
Hi Jason and thanks for the warm welcome! First off, yes, I was using the most recent map as in #2 above. I already have a Garmin folder in my [2GB] microSD card, and the gmapsupp.img file is in that folder. (I think that the IMG2GPS operation put it there while the SD card was still in the eTrex.)

Do you think the problem might have been doing it while the SD card was in the eTrex? Maybe if I did it via a card reader in my computer it'd work differently? Doesn't seem so but you never know sometimes.

EDIT: I don't really care about MapSource. I use Ubuntu Linux as my OS so I have to use an office computer to use MapSource. I'm perfectly happy if everything can simply be handled through the file manager rather than some software.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#57 Post by jasonlee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:43 pm

offseid wrote:Hi Jason and thanks for the warm welcome! First off, yes, I was using the most recent map as in #2 above. I already have a Garmin folder in my [2GB] microSD card, and the gmapsupp.img file is in that folder. (I think that the IMG2GPS operation put it there while the SD card was still in the eTrex.)

Do you think the problem might have been doing it while the SD card was in the eTrex? Maybe if I did it via a card reader in my computer it'd work differently? Doesn't seem so but you never know sometimes.

EDIT: I don't really care about MapSource. I use Ubuntu Linux as my OS so I have to use an office computer to use MapSource. I'm perfectly happy if everything can simply be handled through the file manager rather than some software.
Hi Bro Offseid,

I cannot be sure of the problem/solution so I am just guessing. I have used an Etrex Legend quite a bit for recording tracks but never had a problem with it.

I think the problem is your use of IMG2GPS. If my memory serves me right, it is for transferring maps to the internal memory of the GPS. If so, and if the internal memory of the Etrex is out-of-bounds to the user then you have a problem.

To eliminate the possibility that your downloaded map is corrupted, download it again and this time do not use IMG2GPS but transfer the gmapsupp.img into your SD card using a card reader and test again. I did not mention checking the map in Map Info to make it active because by default new maps will be detected and made active but no harm for you to check as well. Let us have your feedback so that we can also learn from your experience.

offseid

#58 Post by offseid » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:23 pm

jasonlee wrote:Hi Bro Offseid,

I cannot be sure of the problem/solution so I am just guessing. I have used an Etrex Legend quite a bit for recording tracks but never had a problem with it.

I think the problem is your use of IMG2GPS. If my memory serves me right, it is for transferring maps to the internal memory of the GPS. If so, and if the internal memory of the Etrex is out-of-bounds to the user then you have a problem.

To eliminate the possibility that your downloaded map is corrupted, download it again and this time do not use IMG2GPS but transfer the gmapsupp.img into your SD card using a card reader and test again. I did not mention checking the map in Map Info to make it active because by default new maps will be detected and made active but no harm for you to check as well. Let us have your feedback so that we can also learn from your experience.
That seemed to do the trick!

I popped the SD card into a card reader, and from my computer I deleted the gmapsupp.imp file that was already in the Garmin folder. Then I copied and pasted a fresh gmapsupp.img file back into the Garmin folder and voila! it worked!

Thanks much for your help. Now I feel I can get started on really getting to know this thing!

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#59 Post by jasonlee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:04 pm

offseid wrote:That seemed to do the trick!

I popped the SD card into a card reader, and from my computer I deleted the gmapsupp.imp file that was already in the Garmin folder. Then I copied and pasted a fresh gmapsupp.img file back into the Garmin folder and voila! it worked!

Thanks much for your help. Now I feel I can get started on really getting to know this thing!
Glad to hear that your problem is solved.

Perhaps we should all remember not to use IMG2GPS to transfer maps to hand-helds such as the Etrex.

pemabuklaut
GPS: Garmin60CSx

Hello, i'm new here.. needs some help how to add more maps

#60 Post by pemabuklaut » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Just bought 1 Garmin 60CSx but don't know how to add more maps for my divice. in the unit just have a world basic map only. where can i get the maps for malaysia Road and sea to add into my unit, please help
thanks.