Loading MSM into NUVI Part 5

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
fooklee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:36 am
GPS: Quest1350 1460
Contact:

Re: NT 512 missing with Garmin 201110

#401 Post by fooklee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 am

Yes. I did rename to .img. and I try both nuvi 13xx and 14xx.

I will try it again tonite

User avatar
Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2619
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 am
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT
Location: Yew Tee, Singapore
Contact:

Re: NT 512 missing with Garmin 201110

#402 Post by Zeus73 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:52 am

fooklee wrote:Bros,
I downloadedthe garmin 201110 map on the main unit(nuvi 13XX/14XX) then follow by NT 512 relesse on to the SD card @ garmin\map. when I check on the map on tools->map-> info. I can't find the NT 512 map as a selectable option on the unit. May I know what went wrong?

Thx
Err... Since when the folder in SD Card can be name as garmin\map???

It's EITHER Garmin or Map folder.

If folder is Garmin, then filename of map can only be "gmapsupp.img".

If folder is Map, then filename of map can be "Anything.img".

User avatar
bartmp8
Senior Mapper
Posts: 3134
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
Location: Sandakan
Contact:

Re: NT 512 missing with Garmin 201110

#403 Post by bartmp8 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:10 pm

Zeus73 wrote: Err... Since when the folder in SD Card can be name as garmin\map???

It's EITHER Garmin or Map folder.

If folder is Garmin, then filename of map can only be "gmapsupp.img".

If folder is Map, then filename of map can be "Anything.img".
Bro Zeus :good: now I can update my post here which some ppl never bother to read even-thought its still active in the current topic list

fooklee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:36 am
GPS: Quest1350 1460
Contact:

Re: NT 512 missing with Garmin 201110

#404 Post by fooklee » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:56 pm

Sorry, I means downloaded the gmap512.img to Map folder in the SD card. it file size is only 28,769kb. It doesn't show in map info

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: NT 512 missing with Garmin 201110

#405 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:14 pm

fooklee wrote:Sorry, I means downloaded the gmap512.img to Map folder in the SD card. it file size is only 28,769kb. It doesn't show in map info

File size incorrect. Please redownload fresh copy.
Attachments
MSM512.jpg

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1246
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: SIRFstar III
Contact:

Re: NT 512 missing with Garmin 201110

#406 Post by wsian » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:18 pm

fooklee wrote:...downloaded the gmap512.img to Map folder in the SD card. it file size is only 28,769kb. It doesn't show in map info
Hey, you are downloading a zip file (filesize 28,769kb). You are suppose to extract the img file inside the zip, not rename the zip file.

tcs83
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 am
GPS: Per garmin setup
Contact:

How to Install Malaysian Map into Garmin?

#407 Post by tcs83 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 am

I just bought a nuvi 1350 with pre-loaded US and Canada Map (CN North America NT 2011.10). There is no memory card. If i intend to purchase a memory card, how could i install the malaysian map? i have downloaded the gmapsupp_v512 (gmapsupp.img) but where do i copy the file into? Even if i get a memory card, it will be an empty file and i couldn't locate any map folder in the built in memory of the garmin gps...

Can someone experts advise what to do?

Thanks

User avatar
Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
Location: Hougang, Sg
Contact:

Re: How to Install Malaysian Map into Garmin?

#408 Post by Redstorm » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 am

tcs83 wrote:I just bought a nuvi 1350 with pre-loaded US and Canada Map (CN North America NT 2011.10). There is no memory card. If i intend to purchase a memory card, how could i install the malaysian map? i have downloaded the gmapsupp_v512 (gmapsupp.img) but where do i copy the file into? Even if i get a memory card, it will be an empty file and i couldn't locate any map folder in the built in memory of the garmin gps...

Can someone experts advise what to do?

Thanks
Even though you can install the map in the internal memory of your device, it is not advisable to do so as your device will get knocked out and you need to send it for repair if the map gets corrupted. It is strongly recommended that you buy a microSD card to install all your maps. Just create a folder in your card and name it "Map". You could dump as many maps as you want in the card as long as the card capacity allows it. For the MSM v5.12 map, just install it in the Map folder and rename it to any name you want for easy remembrance e.g. MSMv5.12.img, etc.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

tcs83
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:42 am
GPS: Per garmin setup
Contact:

Re: How to Install Malaysian Map into Garmin?

#409 Post by tcs83 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 am

Hi Redstorm

Thanks for your prompt response. If i understand you correctly, you are saying just create a folder called "Map" in the empyt SD card and unzip the gmapsupp.img file into that "Map" folder in the SD card? In that case, how would the the main software would know where to retrieve the map from the SD card? Because it recognize the "Map" folder in the SD card?

Thanks

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: How to Install Malaysian Map into Garmin?

#410 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 am

tcs83 wrote:Hi Redstorm

Thanks for your prompt response. If i understand you correctly, you are saying just create a folder called "Map" in the empyt SD card and unzip the gmapsupp.img file into that "Map" folder in the SD card? In that case, how would the the main software would know where to retrieve the map from the SD card? Because it recognize the "Map" folder in the SD card?

Thanks

By default, Nuvi during boot up looks for maps in several locations ( one of them is SD card/map directory) for availability of valid pre-installed Garmin maps
Last edited by bartmp8 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This Topic will be merged into "Loading MSM into NUVI Part 5" at a later date

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests