Loading MSM into NUVI Part 5

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

Re: Help please!

#91 Post by dvpro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:41 pm

ronsoo wrote:Hmmm, prior to the MFM installation, I was still using MSM map but the blobs did not exist?
Which version is that? Maybe the previous version does not include the HDB POIs. Anyway, with the latest MSM map you can also disable the 2nd MSM map listed at Map Info. This should hide the "blobs" from view. However I believe the POIs will not be searchable then (I don't have a Nuvi to verify).
ronsoo wrote:... and therefore in the place of the blobs, the HDB icons?
Unfortunately in your Nuvi the icons appear as "blobs". In some devices (or at least in my Dakota), there's the proper icon.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

ronsoo
GPS: malsing maps on Garmin 205

#92 Post by ronsoo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Hi,

I appreciate all the help and guidance you have provided me in trying to solve the mysterious appearance of the blobs...

Since I can't get rid of them, I have switched it back to the MFM map. This way I get to see the not the blobs but HDB icons though they are cluttering.

Once again, thank you!

Ron
Last edited by dvpro on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No problem.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#93 Post by dvpro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 pm

You're welcome.

If you don't mind that the hidden POIs are not searchable, you can try this:
dvpro wrote:Anyway, with the latest MSM map you can also disable the 2nd MSM map listed at Map Info. This should hide the "blobs" from view. However I believe the POIs will not be searchable then (I don't have a Nuvi to verify).

ronsoo
GPS: malsing maps on Garmin 205

#94 Post by ronsoo » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:57 am

Hi administrator,

Many thanks for the tips... The search by postal code function is very useful thus I would keep the POI for that...

You mentioned about having the "Mapsource" to be installed for the HDB icons instead of blobs.... How can I do that?

I still am very much with MSM instead of MFM.

Your guidance is much appreciated.

Ron

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#95 Post by dvpro » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:16 am

ronsoo wrote:You mentioned about having the "Mapsource" to be installed for the HDB icons instead of blobs.... How can I do that?
With the Mapsource version you can customize the map to be used in device (ie. selecting any map tiles according to your preference). However, there are no HDB and Postcode map tiles included in this version of MSM.

acht
GPS: Nuvi 1300 US version

Re: Advice on maps download for GARMIN Nuvi 1300 Series

#96 Post by acht » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Hello, I am a new user to the nuvi 1300. I downloaded and installed the malsing map onto my newly bought nuvi 1300 yesterday. My is the US version. I followed the instructions and installed the gmapprom1.img and gmapprom1.unl into the "Garmin" folder, but it did not work. The unit could not find the Singapore map. I drop the two files into the "System" folder where the US map (gmapprom.img) is and it works.
It seems like the set is not able to look for map in other folder. It can only get map in the "System" folder. I am wondering how to get the set to work on map installed on the microSD card? My internal memory (2GB) is almost full now because the US map is huge. Do I need to install any SW on the microSD card other then map? Is there any setting require?

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: Advice on maps download for GARMIN Nuvi 1300 Series

#97 Post by Redstorm » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:09 pm

acht wrote:Hello, I am a new user to the nuvi 1300. I downloaded and installed the malsing map onto my newly bought nuvi 1300 yesterday. My is the US version. I followed the instructions and installed the gmapprom1.img and gmapprom1.unl into the "Garmin" folder, but it did not work. The unit could not find the Singapore map. I drop the two files into the "System" folder where the US map (gmapprom.img) is and it works.
It seems like the set is not able to look for map in other folder. It can only get map in the "System" folder. I am wondering how to get the set to work on map installed on the microSD card? My internal memory (2GB) is almost full now because the US map is huge. Do I need to install any SW on the microSD card other then map? Is there any setting require?
If you want to install the map in your microSD card, you gotta create a folder and name it "Map". The good thing is that, unlike installing in "system" where you got to follow the proper naming convention, in Map folder, you can give any name to your map eg. MalSin.img and MalSin.unl. You can have as many maps in the Map folder as you want so long that the card capacity allows it.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

cttay71
GPS: Garmin nuvi 1100

unlocking for nuvi 1100

#98 Post by cttay71 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Hi,

I tried to unlock the map for nuvi 1100. It does not seems to work.
I tried the following:
1) download gmapsupp.img and put unlock code in gmapprom1.unl in the unit's internal memory Garmin directory.
2) download gmapsupp.img and put unlock code in gmapsupp.unl in the unit's internal memory Garmin directory.
3) download gmapsupp.img and put unlock code in gmapprom1.unl in the SDRAM in Garmin directory.
4) download gmapsupp.img and put unlock code in gmapsupp.unl in the SDRAM in Garmin directory

In 3 and 4, it get a message Can't unlock codes.

Pls help to give me some advise.

Thank you
Anthony

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: unlocking for nuvi 1100

#99 Post by dvpro » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:40 pm

cttay71 wrote:1) download gmapsupp.img and put unlock code in gmapprom1.unl in the unit's internal memory Garmin directory. Wrong folder for IMG and UNL, place them in \Map folder instead. Incorrect name for UNL file as well (IMG and UNL must have similar name).
2) download gmapsupp.img and put unlock code in gmapsupp.unl in the unit's internal memory Garmin directory. Wrong folder for IMG and UNL, place them in \Map folder instead.
3) download gmapsupp.img and put unlock code in gmapprom1.unl in the SDRAM in Garmin directory. Incorrect name for UNL file, (IMG and UNL must have similar name).
4) download gmapsupp.img and put unlock code in gmapsupp.unl in the SDRAM in Garmin directory. Probably wrong unlock codes used in UNL file (incorrect Unit ID or Unit Serial used when generating codes) OR UNL file does not actually have UNL extension but rather a hidden TXT extension.
BTW, you did not mention which map you are trying to install. :-'

If you're trying to install MSM NT 2010.20 map, I'd advise you to remove the locked map from Nuvi/data card and use this lock-free map instead: http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 26&t=20375

Note: For your Nuvi, the IMG can be placed either in Nuvi:\Map, SD:\Map or SD:\Garmin folders.

cttay71
GPS: Garmin nuvi 1100

Re: unlocking for nuvi 1100

#100 Post by cttay71 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Thanks a lot for your help and prompt response!

You are right!

My unit is working now after using the correct unit id (I was using Serial Num to create the unlock code) and renaming the folders to Map.

Regards
Last edited by dvpro on Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You're welcome.