Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:33 am 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250
Pardon me if this question has already been asked as I have been away from this forum for quite some time.

I just bought a Nuvi 1250 from Sitex 2010. It comes pre-installed with MSM 2010.20 and City Navigator 2010.30. By default, both maps are selected, which means, I believe, that the CN map will be used in preference over the MSM map. The junction view is nice but problem is the routing for some routes.

Just to give one example, from Amoy Street to my home at Telok Kurau just off the ECP Marine Parade exit, most logical route is to head to ECP via Marina Blvd and then exit Marine Parade, in less than 10 mins. This is the route chosen by MSM and some other free map. But CN map will route me via Nicoll Highway, through Guillemard Road, Sims Ave etc., which takes a long time, even though "Faster Time" is selected with no avoidance enabled. I know that routing is not a perfect art but I just find this intriguing, considering that the CN map is supposed to be the "professional" map.

Do you guys face similar problems with the CN map? Which map do you guys use? I noticed that for the CN map, there is a "JV" file, but it seems the MSM map has no JV feature? How to get the best of both worlds i.e. MSM map but with JV?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:12 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
tks wrote:
Pardon me if this question has already been asked as I have been away from this forum for quite some time.

I just bought a Nuvi 1250 from Sitex 2010. It comes pre-installed with MSM 2010.20 and City Navigator 2010.30. By default, both maps are selected, which means, I believe, that the CN map will be used in preference over the MSM map. The junction view is nice but problem is the routing for some routes.

Just to give one example, from Amoy Street to my home at Telok Kurau just off the ECP Marine Parade exit, most logical route is to head to ECP via Marina Blvd and then exit Marine Parade, in less than 10 mins. This is the route chosen by MSM and some other free map. But CN map will route me via Nicoll Highway, through Guillemard Road, Sims Ave etc., which takes a long time, even though "Faster Time" is selected with no avoidance enabled. I know that routing is not a perfect art but I just find this intriguing, considering that the CN map is supposed to be the "professional" map.

Do you guys face similar problems with the CN map?
I notice that CN does not like to take the highways, preferring the minor roads. This also applies to routes in Malaysia

Which map do you guys use?
I have 3 Malaysia-Singapore maps loaded in my Nuvi. I use appropriate map ( One map only ) for routing depending on which map is best for searching address / POI I need assistance in routing there. The final choice should be decided by you based on your preference and map detail

I noticed that for the CN map, there is a "JV" file, but it seems the MSM map has no JV feature? How to get the best of both worlds i.e. MSM map but with JV?
You can disable the CN and just use the preloaded MSM NT. JCV will work with either one

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Have not really pay attention to the problem you described about the CN map because I mostly override their recommendation since I know the better way to get from A to B......that means I hear the "Recalculating..." message often... :mrgreen: So that must be a somewhat confirmation of the issue. :mrgreen:

As for which maps I used....like what Bro SB says.....it's a combination and it depends on which map gives the better info for a particular place you want to go....and it can be irritating to switch here and there....but sometimes given that a particular info should be there but you can't find it with your default map...you just have to switch to the other maps....I have that experience last weekend...but I just lives with it. Sometimes I search the POI from one map, log it, and switch back to the other map with the better routing capability. Have not sent me on a wild goose chase as yet. :-$

As for the JV file, I find that MSM's JV is better than the CN after reviewing both maps over the past two months. :-$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:31 am 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250
Thanks for all your advice. I see that there is a MSM NT 5.03 available, which apparently has "tunnel projection". Is this more updated than MSM 2010.20? Does it have Junction View etc?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:40 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
tks wrote:
Thanks for all your advice. I see that there is a MSM NT 5.03 available, which apparently has "tunnel projection". Is this more updated than MSM 2010.20? Does it have Junction View etc?

Bro TKS, the MSM v5.xx is always more updated then the 2010.xx because the data for the 2010.xx came
from v4.xx and now v5.xx - as for JCV, I have no idea cos there aren't any in EM :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:04 am 

GPS: Mapking (Retired), Garmin 1350
how to get involved in msm junction view project ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GPS: SIRFstar III
ccwong wrote:

Thanks

PM me or adilothman. We are in need of members to help us out on this project. TQ.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:32 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Garmin nUVI 200W us version
ccwong wrote:

Thanks

go ccwong go... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:48 am 
Qualified Mapper

GPS: Nuvi 1350
ccwong wrote:

Thanks

Bro ccwong - just jump onto the band-wagon. You can PM Bro Noah or Adil or Wsian :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 am 

GPS: nuvi 205w
hi there,
i'm using nuvi 205w...if i downloaded MSM NT in my nuvi will it support the JV?
tq

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next