Loading MSM into NUVI Part 7

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

swoffer
GPS: Garmin nuvi 750

Re: Loading MSM into NUVI Part 7

#21 Post by swoffer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:47 am

Hi after using Googlemaps on android and iphone, decided to come back and bought a Garmin 2597LMT from the US. I have downloaded malsingmaps from the following link

Download gmapsupp_v689_LIcon.zip from the following link:
Note : for latest devices nuvi 65/55/35xx Android.
- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5H7N2 ... sp=sharing

There was no img file in the devide so I pasted the 3 files: gmapsupp.img, product.JCV and product_JCV_raster.zip file into the Garmin folder in the device. When I reboot the device, I am unable to see the malsingmap identified under MyMaps, only the original North American map. How can I enable this? The device is unable to lock on to a satellite.

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#22 Post by bartmp8 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:32 pm

swoffer wrote:Hi after using Googlemaps on android and iphone, decided to come back and bought a Garmin 2597LMT from the US. I have downloaded malsingmaps from the following link

Download gmapsupp_v689_LIcon.zip from the following link:
Note : for latest devices nuvi 65/55/35xx Android.
- https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5H7N2 ... sp=sharing

There was no img file in the devide so I pasted the 3 files: gmapsupp.img, product.JCV and product_JCV_raster.zip file into the Garmin folder in the device. When I reboot the device, I am unable to see the malsingmap identified under MyMaps, only the original North American map. How can I enable this? The device is unable to lock on to a satellite.

First Question: Have you made satellite contact out in the open using your New GPS from US?
Second Question: Have you bought yourself a mSD card
Third Question: Have you gone to setup and enabled MSM?

1) You need to make contact with satellite in SG otherwise your GPS will remember the last place it made contact i.e. US
I have not tried the link you mentioned above because I don't have a latest Nuvi and by the look of it, neither have you but the map should still show

2) We always suggest you install maps into an ext mSD/SD card and minimise the disturbance of the main memory in case you delete or corrupt some essential
files. In your mSD card, create a Garmin Folder and inside the Garmin folder create a "JCV" folder. Put the gmapsupp.img into "Garmin" and Product JCV file
into "JCV" folder. I have no idea WTH is JCV Raster because I'm not into Raggae. I have never installed it and so far ignorance is bliss. Once you install map
into your ext mSD, pls delete the ones you installed earlier in the main memory. Always make a back up of the main memory including hidden files before
you play around with it.

3) To enable and disable a certain map, pls read this link viewtopic.php?p=142924#p142924. Its a bit dated (using old Nuvi)
but still revelent as the basics are still the same. Read the rest of the threads (2 pages only) to learn more about your device. We suggest you disable any maps you are NOT
using and this will make your Nuvi work faster. We also suggest vehemently that you never enable 2 maps of the same area. Maps of the same area are not created equally
and different logarithms will confuse your GPS giving funny response.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#23 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:16 am

As brother Bartmp8 elaborated

1. Have you put your unit under the big blue sky to get satellite signal lock? You have to be patient as first time lock takes some time. It needs at least 4-5 satellite vehicles for a GPS signal lock.

2. Do take bro bartmp8 advise to load updated map files into SD card/garmin. Garmin units are notoriously known for their unforgiving nature to brick your unit should files get corrupted when stored in main memory/

3. After satellite lock, suggest you go to Nuvi setup menu, Map Info and select only one map ie.. Garmin NT or MSM NT only

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

#24 Post by wsian » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Let me clarify for the Nth again. Our JCV file is the standard jcv file without modified or encryption. It will work for all nuvi, doesn't matter which region you get it from. Just make sure you put it in the correct folder as in the newbie guide.