How to install map

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

titanax
GPS: Garmin nüvi 2465;

---------------------
Garmin nüvi 285WT;
GMXT 5.00.60
[Nokia.E71.S60v3];

How to install map

#1 Post by titanax » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi, I used to own the 285w/255w which i have passed on & got the nuvi 2465.

How do I install MSM NT v5.xx on the 2465?

Map updates on the 2465 were from the Garmin SG site directly & I can't find any gmapprom, gmapprom1 img files on the \Garmin folder.

This:

- Extract & Copy gmapsupp.img to [storage card]\Garmin\
- Extract & Copy Product.JCV to [storage card]\Garmin\JCV\

doesn't show up on my "MyMaps" on my 2465, I can only see the CN 2011.40 & the MSM NT 2011.30, no show of my SD contents. But on the 255w, its obviously fine.

Can someone advise how I can get back on track on the new device? I'm thinking the file/folder structure is different on the newer models.

Thanks in advance.

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
GPS: SIRFstar III

Re: How to install map

#2 Post by wsian » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 pm

<storage card>\Garmin\gmapsupp.img works for all nuvi, includes the latest model.
If map still doesn't show, most probably due to faulty mSD card.
Last edited by bartmp8 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This Topic will be merged into "Loading MSM into Nuvi Part 7" in Newbie Lounge at a later date

titanax

---------------------
Garmin nüvi 285WT;
GMXT 5.00.60
[Nokia.E71.S60v3];

#3 Post by titanax » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:59 pm

wsian wrote:<storage card>\Garmin\gmapsupp.img works for all nuvi, includes the latest model.
Thanks but My SD card works fine. Any thing else I can try ?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#4 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:13 pm

titanax wrote:
wsian wrote:<storage card>\Garmin\gmapsupp.img works for all nuvi, includes the latest model.
Thanks but My SD card works fine. Any thing else I can try ?

For Nuvi 2465, preloaded maps are stored in Main Memory/system directory which is hidden by default

Put MSM NT v5.xx map file gmapsupp.img into SD card/map directory
Take note, in this /map directory you are free to rename the gmapsupp.img into any file name you want. :thumbsup:

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#5 Post by Redstorm » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:21 pm

titanax wrote:Hi, I used to own the 285w/255w which i have passed on & got the nuvi 2465.

How do I install MSM NT v5.xx on the 2465?

Map updates on the 2465 were from the Garmin SG site directly & I can't find any gmapprom, gmapprom1 img files on the \Garmin folder.

This:

- Extract & Copy gmapsupp.img to [storage card]\Garmin\
- Extract & Copy Product.JCV to [storage card]\Garmin\JCV\

doesn't show up on my "MyMaps" on my 2465, I can only see the CN 2011.40 & the MSM NT 2011.30, no show of my SD contents. But on the 255w, its obviously fine.

Can someone advise how I can get back on track on the new device? I'm thinking the file/folder structure is different on the newer models.

Thanks in advance.
For the newer Nuvi like the 1xxx, 2xxx and 3xxx series, the maps don't show up when you view in the Garmin folder in your G: drive. Most of the files, including the maps, are hidden. You have to type "G:\.system" in order to open up and view the files. The preloaded maps (Garmin CN and MSM TN) are all inside. For the MSM v5.36 map, it is recommended that you install it in your microSD card instead of the internal memory. This is a good insurance against corrupt map which can render your device becoming an expensive paperweight. Create a Garmin folder and dump the MSM V5.36 (gmapsupp.img) there and a JCV sub folder for your product.JCV file. As what silverbeauty mentioned, you can also name your folder Map instead of Garmin. Main advantage is that you can store more than one map but you have to name each one differently but you can't have the JCV file inside. As for Garmin folder, the JCV can work but you are restricted to only having one map inside as you are not able to rename the map.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

titanax

---------------------
Garmin nüvi 285WT;
GMXT 5.00.60
[Nokia.E71.S60v3];

#6 Post by titanax » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:30 pm

Thank you Redstorm & Silverbeauty - very informative! :good:

I will try this & post my results :)

If I decide to reformat my SD card, what format is recommended?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#7 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:00 am

titanax wrote:Thank you Redstorm & Silverbeauty - very informative! :good:

I will try this & post my results :)

If I decide to reformat my SD card, what format is recommended?
FAT32

yongkm88
GPS: Garmin small

#8 Post by yongkm88 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi there :wink:

I got this Nuvi 200 since 1998. My problem is "How to install latest map/version into it?" I'm not so good in this computer staff.

Can you help/guide step by step assist me to install? I've download this file MSM NT for Mapsource v5.37 and MSM NT v5.37

in my desktop, but cannot open. None any of my supported program able to open. I follow the forum and copy into SDcard.

No respond once turn on my gps. Every turn in lane, I miss the rout. Example, turn in left turn split into two lane, either left

or right doesn't shown clearly. At first I bought, none of this issue. Once update with my friend help last year June, then this

become more & more difficult to use. My concern is, model & version type will affect the my current GPS? :-?

Thank you with rgds O:)

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#9 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:38 pm

yongkm88 wrote:Hi there :wink:

I got this Nuvi 200 since 1998. My problem is "How to install latest map/version into it?" I'm not so good in this computer staff.

Can you help/guide step by step assist me to install? I've download this file MSM NT for Mapsource v5.37 and MSM NT v5.37

in my desktop, but cannot open. None any of my supported program able to open. I follow the forum and copy into SDcard.

No respond once turn on my gps. Every turn in lane, I miss the rout. Example, turn in left turn split into two lane, either left

or right doesn't shown clearly. At first I bought, none of this issue. Once update with my friend help last year June, then this

become more & more difficult to use. My concern is, model & version type will affect the my current GPS? :-?

Thank you with rgds O:)
Your Nuvi 200 hardware ( processor and limited memory ) might run into problems using our latest maps as there are many features incorporated into map that are resource hungry. We had other forum users feedback that the unit lags during navigation ie.. your indicated position in map on unit does not correspondent to actual location ).

It is better to upgrade to a newer version basic model such as Nuvi 1350 where you will have more helpful features like Lane Assist and Junction View to help you move into the correct lane. This will eliminate or reduce the moment of indecision as what you experience to which lane to keep to ...

If you want to try on your Nuvi 200, just download the MSM NT v5.37 ( not mapsource version ) zip file. Unzip the map file gmapsupp.img and put this into an SD card/garmin directory. Plug the SD card into Nuvi. Power up your Nuvi and it should show the new map.

titanax

---------------------
Garmin nüvi 285WT;
GMXT 5.00.60
[Nokia.E71.S60v3];

#10 Post by titanax » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 am

I have tried \Garmin & \Garmin\JCV as well as \Map & \Map\JCV

Both methods don't work. The map does not get loaded at all.

I even tried copying directly into the /.system folder. The map does not load!
Last edited by titanax on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.