Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:51 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: help: gmapsupp-537
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:22 pm 

GPS: garmin nuvi - malsing nt 2010.20
i downloaded the latest zip file with 2 files in it. gmapsupp.img is of the zip files somehow no way to unzip - internal error proessing iso image

do i just move the whole img zip file to /garmin or need to unzip first?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: help: gmapsupp-527
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:33 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
gostallion wrote:
i downloaded the latest zip file with 2 files in it. gmapsupp.img is of the zip files somehow no way to unzip - internal error proessing iso image

do i just move the whole img zip file to /garmin or need to unzip first?

You have to unzip first. If you encounter any error, only thing to do is to download again. Many others including me have downloaded and unzipped successfully so there is nothing wrong with the map.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:34 pm 

Thanks heaps Jasonlee I manage to unzip the folder. I just tried to add the downloaded gmapsupp.img to garmin folder but when I checked in the map info on my garmin, it still shows the old version MSM NT v5.20

I am confused. Thanks for your help again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:53 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin NĂ¼vi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
gostallion wrote:
Thanks heaps Jasonlee I manage to unzip the folder. I just tried to add the downloaded gmapsupp.img to garmin folder but when I checked in the map info on my garmin, it still shows the old version MSM NT v5.20

You might have 2 versions of same map residing within the contents of your Nuvi. You will need to have the old version.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:24 pm 

SilverBeauty wrote:
gostallion wrote:

You might have 2 versions of same map residing within the contents of your Nuvi. You will need to have the old version.

oddly enough
now garmin van't load from my windows
do i really need mygarmin agent to read my garmin?

any suggestion?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:32 pm 
Senior Mapper

gostallion wrote:
I just tried to add the downloaded gmapsupp.img to garmin folder but when I checked in the map info on my garmin, it still shows the old version MSM NT v5.20

You are most welcome. Since you had to see your maps in Map Info, you must be using a Nuvi that is more than 1 year old. Not a problem but through Map Info, you must uncheck your MSM NT 5.20 (if it is checked otherwise you can ignore it) as you CANNOT HAVE 2 MAPS ACTIVE AT THE SAME TIME.

oddly enough

any suggestion?

Did your GPS go into the Computer Interface Mode when you plug it into the PC? If it did, there should be a computer icon displayed in your GPS. Tell me what you see in your GPS when it is connected in order to help you further. This has nothing to do with MyGarmin which is the customised webpage at Garmin.com for your GPS. Actually you can get by without ever going to the Garmin website unless there are good reasons to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:40 pm 

You are most welcome. Since you had to see your maps in Map Info, you must be using a Nuvi that is more than 1 year old. Not a problem but through Map Info, you must uncheck your MSM NT 5.20 (if it is checked otherwise you can ignore it) as you CANNOT HAVE 2 MAPS ACTIVE AT THE SAME TIME.

oddly enough

any suggestion?[/quote]
Did your GPS go into the Computer Interface Mode when you plug it into the PC? If it did, there should be a computer icon displayed in your GPS. Tell me what you see in your GPS when it is connected in order to help you further. This has nothing to do with MyGarmin which is the customised webpage at Garmin.com for your GPS. Actually you can get by without ever going to the Garmin website unless there are good reasons to do so.[/quote]

Hello,
When connected GPS loads and goes into the main menu (or charging mode if turn off) and bypasses the computer icon. This happens even if I reboot or reconnect. It is like the computer fail to pick up the GPS even though I have garmin myagent plugin installed on my computer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:55 pm 
Senior Mapper

gostallion wrote:
Hello,
When connected GPS loads and goes into the main menu (or charging mode if turn off) and bypasses the computer icon. This happens even if I reboot or reconnect. It is like the computer fail to pick up the GPS even though I have garmin myagent plugin installed on my computer.

OK, please remember this trick.

My guess is that the output from your PC which is limited to 500mA, is sometimes too low to activate the mass storage mode. Another related problem is if you are using a USB hub instead of a direct connection to your PC. The hub will also not provide sufficient current. If you are using a USB hub, do not use it for your GPS but connect directly to your PC.

1. Plug your GPS to the PC and let it boot up. It is OK to let it go into the Main Menu.

2. While in the Main Menu, unplug the USB cable.

3. You will be alerted that you have lost external power and your GPS will shut down in a few seconds unless you cancel or choose to stay on. CHOOSE TO STAY ON USING BATTERY POWER.

4. With your GPS still on battery power, now plug back your USB cable into the GPS and it should go into the PC (Mass Storage) Mode. If it does not, please report exactly what you observe and then maybe we can figure out your problem.

Note: When the GPS is in the Storage Mode, it is similar to an external HDD. You may use an external HDD to test your USB port. If your PC cannot recognize the external HDD through that USB port, then it will also not recognize your GPS. Don't use that port then.