Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:43 am 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W
Dear brothers,

Recently i downloaded the MSM 5.35 into my NUVI 200W ( using the SD card) and test run in Singapore, I realized that the map was lag behind the actual road situation by as much as 15 ~ 20 meter. For instance, when I had passed through the traffic light, the map still showing I am approaching the traffic light... #-o . Is there any problem with my GPS or the software? I hope I can get it fix before balik kampong for CNY reunion. Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Happy Chinese New Year.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:05 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
jackbhc wrote:
Dear brothers,

Recently i downloaded the MSM 5.35 into my NUVI 200W ( using the SD card) and test run in Singapore, I realized that the map was lag behind the actual road situation by as much as 15 ~ 20 meter. For instance, when I had passed through the traffic light, the map still showing I am approaching the traffic light... #-o . Is there any problem with my GPS or the software? I hope I can get it fix before balik kampong for CNY reunion. Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Happy Chinese New Year.

I don't think it has anything to do with the map. I have used the MSM 5.35 without any problem on my 2465. Did you check on more than one map? Sometimes alot of errors can occur because of this.

Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
I'm not sure if it could be due to the slower processor or memory size.

Or it is a space issue.

Couple of things you could try out. More like spring cleaning of your unit for CNY. :-$ :mrgreen:

1. Clear or delete your log files. My thinking is that the files takes up space and it reduces the ability of the processor to process.. I could be wrong here. :-#
2. Reduce the display of the map e.g. POI, alert, etc. Again I'm not sure if your unit have this feature. :-k
3. Possible to change to a higher speed SD card, ie a Class 6 or higher SD card.. Some say it does help but I'm not convince it does. :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.. :-'

Last edited by bartmp8 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Topic will be merged into "Newbie Guide Part 5" in Newbie Lounge at a later date

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm 

Dear bro Redstorm and bro Ace,

Thanks for your kind advice, I believe too the map is fine... may be it's my NUVI 200W was too slow to process the hefty size of the 4G SD cards's info?

I will try to trouble shoot in this way:

1) I will slot in 0.5G SD card into my NUVI 200W to check whether it was the SD card's bottle neck

2) I will run my 4G SD card with my NUVI 255W to check whether faster processeor will mitigate the lagging problem

PS: the brand of SD used is Sandisk
Thanks again!
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:07 pm 
Qualified Mapper

GPS: Nuvi 1350
I configured my Nuvi 205 to "Track Up" instead of "3-D" View. It helps.

Go to Tools > Settings > Map > Map View

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:36 am 

Dear All Brothers,

1) Today I tried my NUVI 200W with 0.5G SD card loaded with MSM 5.35 map, it was having the same lagging problem as with the 4G SD card.

2) I slot in the 4G SD card with the MSM 5.35 map into NUVI 255W , it was fine though i found that it was still lagging slightly, but acceptable.

3) Another finding was the lagging was more severe with higher driving speed, and the lagging was near zero (almost no lagging) if the speed was zero ( stationary).

From the above findings, I deduce that the GPS device's processor speed will determine the lagging magnitude, and also the map was flawless ( well done :good: ), but the GPS's processor needs to catch up with the latest map configuration.

Ya, as I am a bit old now, I can only view well with the larger 3D image, so i have to adapt to the shortcoming of NUVI 200 W or just use the NUVI 255 W for now.

When I was in Printed Circuit Board industry, transistor radio just need a single PCB, a PC needs a double sided to four sided PCB, a rocket and guided missile that fly at very high velocity needs 64 sided PCB. Just for some interesting info. :D

Sooo, keep upgrading the hardware in order to catch up with the ever advancing software.

Thanks again brothers, :tq:
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:48 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
jackbhc wrote:
Dear All Brothers,

From the above findings, I deduce that the GPS device's processor speed will determine the lagging magnitude, and also the map was flawless ( well done :good: ), but the GPS's processor needs to catch up with the latest map configuration.

Sooo, keep upgrading the hardware in order to catch up with the ever advancing software.

Thanks again brothers, :tq:
Jack

Hi Bro Jack,

You are absolutely right that lagging is influenced by hardware but also software.

Just like the PC, if the demand on the CPU and installed RAM exceeds their capability, the result is lag. This is one reason that I always discourage people from using multi-function devices for navigation as the CPU is shared and lagging will be worse. Since these 2 (CPU and RAM) are not user-changeable, the only way is to upgrade to a newer Nuvi.

Software design can make greater or lesser demand on the CPU for graphics rendering. Choosing less details for display can help. But if choosing even the least detail there is still lag, then there is no option but to upgrade the hardware. Since 2 years ago, I could no longer use my N200 with the map from the other Forum due to lag because of too great a demand on graphics rendering due to so many polygons. I formed the conclusion that polygons are only eye candy and do not help navigation and on the contrary cause more lag, so I decided not to put polygons into our map. In situations like this the only option is again to upgrade to a newer Nuvi.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:17 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Many moons ago.......yes, moons... :mrgreen: when we are very much in our infancy compared to today....navigation is the key....than after the basic navigation needs have been satisfied....the Law of Marginal Utility kicks in....people wants other things...there were a lot of requests for addons to the maps we were then playing around with....POIs, speedtraps, traffic cameras locations, blah blah blah.. ](*,) ..... so to satisfy users and our own curiousity to "break the sound barrier"....all the requests to the best of my readings, were looked into and implemented.....

Too much of the good life, and we can look at the map's "stomach".... it grows fat in size. :lol:

And it is not a big problem if you are a young energetic nuvi :mrgreen: but it is a problem if you are an old nuvi :lol:

In summary that is the short story of our journey.... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:23 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
ace wrote:
Many moons ago.......yes, moons... :mrgreen: when we are very much in our infancy compared to today....navigation is the key....than after the basic navigation needs have been satisfied....the Law of Marginal Utility kicks in....people wants other things...there were a lot of requests for addons to the maps we were then playing around with....POIs, speedtraps, traffic cameras locations, blah blah blah.. ](*,) ..... so to satisfy users and our own curiousity to "break the sound barrier"....all the requests to the best of my readings, were looked into and implemented.....

Too much of the good life, and we can look at the map's "stomach".... it grows fat in size. :lol:

And it is not a big problem if you are a young energetic nuvi :mrgreen: but it is a problem if you are an old nuvi :lol:

In summary that is the short story of our journey.... :lol: :lol:

Hi Bro Ace,

I agree with you but those are add-ons. I also instal a lot of add-ons that enhance my experience. Add-ons like those for Thunderbird and Firefox, enhance functionality but the user has the option to instal or to uninstall. However, as a mapper, my primary concern is the core. Whatever is built into the core may not be easily disabled by the user.

Moral of the story anyway is to acquire the mindset that no Nuvi can avoid obsolescence. 3 years is the max life-span. We just got to keep upgrading. That is truly life's story.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin NĂ¼vi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
Was reading another forum and saw this :

QUOTE :
You can't rely on street addresses to be exact as they are approximated, as Garmin recently explained to me. Here again is the reply Garmin sent me when I informed them my parent's address was marked at the wrong end of the block.

===========

Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. The addresses are attributed to the streets by ranges. They are not geocoded by specific driveways. It is meant to get you close, but it may not get you right to the exact driveway.

As an example, say the address you want is 51 and the potential address range on the road segment is 1-99. The software will average that out and put 51 roughly in the middle. That may not always be reality...51 might even be the first or last house on the block...but it is put in the middle of the line segment in the map. As I mentioned, the addressing in the software is meant to get you close...and hopefully will...but the addresses are not coded to driveways specifically...they are averaged by full potential range along the road segments.

The example above is a bit simplistic, but I hope it might be at least a little worthwhile.

With what I'm saying above, too, there is a difference between the actual address range and the potential address range...and the vendors often geocode the addresses to the roads per the potential range and not necessarily the actual range and to specific houses and driveways. This potential range is also sometimes reversed or located on the wrong side of the street, especially in the areas that are not driven by NavTeq.

On A Avenue, for instance, between 1st and 2nd street the potential range will be 100-199. There may not that many dwellings in there, but that is the potential and what is attributed to the line segment.

Hope this helps explain things a little and please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you for your interest in Garmin.

UNQUOTE