Newbie Question

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

Aceofmylife
GPS: Singapore

Newbie Question

#1 Post by Aceofmylife » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi all,

when i couldn't download my map and call Garmin singapore, they told me the default junction view map takes up too much memory space and as a result i couldn't download latest maps. he told me to bring it down to their office to delete this map and pay for the new map download. i knew when i bought it, it comes with one free map download. he told me no choice, i missed the one-year period for the free download. quite ridiculous that they install a map size so big and prevent me from downloading new map and now force me to miss my one free map update!

anyway, i wanted to ask if there is a way for us to do this junction view map delete on our own instead of bringing to garmin dealer? after that I can download newer maps from the link here and install on my set?

Aceofmylife

Re: Newbie Question

#2 Post by Aceofmylife » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 pm

ok i had posted this in garmin nuvi 2465 folder but somehow it is moved here.

maybe newbie cannot post question there and therefore the forum settings automatically moved it here.

anyway, looking forward to forumer advice on my nuvi2465

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#3 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Aceofmylife wrote:Hi all,

when i couldn't download my map and call Garmin singapore, they told me the default junction view map takes up too much memory space and as a result i couldn't download latest maps. he told me to bring it down to their office to delete this map and pay for the new map download. i knew when i bought it, it comes with one free map download. he told me no choice, i missed the one-year period for the free download. quite ridiculous that they install a map size so big and prevent me from downloading new map and now force me to miss my one free map update!

anyway, i wanted to ask if there is a way for us to do this junction view map delete on our own instead of bringing to garmin dealer? after that I can download newer maps from the link here and install on my set?

I will assume yours is a localzied unit bought from a authorized Garmin Singapore distributor

Backup all files inclusive of those in hidden folder /system ( all the preloaded maps are stored here )

As Garmin informed you, you have lost your ability to get a update Garmin Commercial Map

However you can use our MsM map which is compiled with a Garmin compiler but is free and updated more frequently.

Go buy a SD card
Create a sub folder /garmin there
Create a sub folder /garmin/jcv there

Download our map V6.09 from this link http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 41#p204241

Unzip the map file gmapsupp.img and copy this down to the SD card/garmin
Unzip the JCV file product.jcv and copy this down to the SD card/garmin/jcv

Take note that for MsM map, the Product.JCV support JCV. Current JCV has 239 unique images, 476 paths
It is not as extensive as the Garmin commercial map version but then this is a continuning project and being gradually populated with each new release.

Aceofmylife

#4 Post by Aceofmylife » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:43 pm

hi,

i didn't seem to see a slot for sd card .

assuming, i couldn't install on an sd card, how do i identify and delete the street view map loaded into the nuvi's hard disk? because the last i spoke with the garmin support, they told me the solution is to delete the street view maps (as it takes up too much memory) and they can delete it for me when i bring it down.

i am half hearted to bring it down to them as after deleting they may ask me to purchase instantly the new maps.

if i can delete on my own, i will download and install the MSM maps available here at the kind gesture of this forum.

thanks for teaching me!

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#5 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:40 pm

As stated map are stored in main memory of unit in a hidden folder /system

Map file name of interest are

gmapprom.img : Garmin NT commercial map
gmapprom1.img : secondary map maybe MsM NT Map
gmapsupp.img : second secondary map maybe MfM Map

NOTE :
Before deleting, backup all files as once deleted it is gone forever.
As a newbie be warn when tinkering any files in main memory as any corruption will brick your Nuvi :ko:

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#6 Post by Redstorm » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Aceofmylife wrote:hi,

assuming, i couldn't install on an sd card, how do i identify and delete the street view map loaded into the nuvi's hard disk? because the last i spoke with the garmin support, they told me the solution is to delete the street view maps (as it takes up too much memory) and they can delete it for me when i bring it down.

i am half hearted to bring it down to them as after deleting they may ask me to purchase instantly the new maps.

if i can delete on my own, i will download and install the MSM maps available here at the kind gesture of this forum.

thanks for teaching me!
I don't know which Nuvi model you own but I assumed you have a 2465 since you posted in the 2465 thread before it was moved to the Newbie sub-forum. I also own a 2465, so I can tell you that the microSD card slot is located, if you are looking at the back, on the bottom right hand corner. If you really want to delete the the JCV file for the Garmin CN map, the file name is SinMyNav.JCV. Forget about the Garmin CN map as it is not worth paying for it unless your device comes with lifetime map update. However, I would suggest you leave the JCV file alone and strongly recommend that you install the MSM v6.09 map in a microSD card. Installing a map in the internal memory can be risky as your device can become a paperweight if the map gets corrupted. If you install it in a microSD card and if it gets corrupted, just deleted the map and re-install it. MicroSD card is so cheap nowadays and just get one and have peace of mind. Thanks.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#7 Post by jasonlee » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Aceofmylife wrote:hi,

thanks for teaching me!
I presume you are having a Nuvi 2465. If so, here are some photos to show you where the SD card slot is. Of course if you are looking for a standard SD card slot, you will not find it because they use micro SD cards so if you are buying, please make sure you buy a micro SD card. A 2GB micro SD card is cheap these days and should be sufficient for SE Asian maps but if you wish to also store USA map the latest is 2.27GB including JCV. The latest western Europe should be more than 3GB so you need to buy accordingly. Your GPS can easily read up to 16GB.

Empty slot:
Micro SD Slot 01.jpg
Micro SD card in slot:
Micro SD Slot 02.jpg
Not knowing how secure your USB connection is, I would not dare to teach you how to delete the old map. Not all USB cords are made the same. Besides that, when you have an SD card, the internal memory becomes irrelevant and you can copy all new maps into the SD card. Hence you can just leave the map as it is and not bother to delete. Just do not check it.
Lean not on your own understanding

Aceofmylife

#8 Post by Aceofmylife » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 am

HI all,

your advices makes sense. i just got myself a microsd card. tonight will go home to try. will keep you guys posted if i am successful in the installation of the new map!

Aceofmylife

#9 Post by Aceofmylife » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi all, just to update you I hAve updated my map as per the way you suggested and it is working for me. By the way, installing map on sd will this mean a slightly more laggy response? Also I read some forum discussions we can turn on warning for speed camera and toll gantry? Can I do it on my set?

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#10 Post by jasonlee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Aceofmylife wrote:Hi all, just to update you I hAve updated my map as per the way you suggested and it is working for me. By the way, installing map on sd will this mean a slightly more laggy response? Also I read some forum discussions we can turn on warning for speed camera and toll gantry? Can I do it on my set?
Response should be the same regardless of the location. Portions of the map are read and kept in the RAM memory so the speed is the same since the same RAM memory is used. It is the amount of graphic details that the cpu needs to render that causes lag. If you experience lag, you can reduce the map details.

Yes, you can activate the Custom POIs for speed camera and toll gantries provided you have downloaded the Custom POis.
Lean not on your own understanding