Newbie help

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Re: Newbie help

#11 Post by bartmp8 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:26 am

While West Malaysians have a better understanding of using Postcodes, the folks in Sabah are still
hopelessly blur. For example, the postcode for Sandakan is 90000 but the district of Sandakan is
2266 km2. You'll see the postcode 90000 on street signs as far West as Mile 32 (Checkpoint) to
North inTanjong Pisau on Labuk Bay, as far South as Sapagaya (Kinabatangan) and East to Mumiang.

Meanwhile, at the SDK GPO, where PO Boxes are still popular, 90700 is assigned to PO Box 1 - 100,
90701 to PO Box 101 - 200 and so on. In the space of approximately 30 m wall or PO Boxes, we have
close to 10 postcodes but 2266 km2 shares 1 postcode.

Good luck finding with Postcode here in SDK.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

Re: MSM Junction View & Lane Info using our Garmin compiler

#12 Post by ace » Wed May 15, 2013 11:28 am

jasonlee wrote:Dear Bro Ace,

Good that you agree that I have named the pet peeves of Singaporeans. Yet, Singaporeans behave in a manner I cannot understand. Who else but a Singaporean can supply the JCV photos and postcodes?
Can Malaysians do it? So what are Singaporeans doing about it?
Bro Jasonlee, the JCV factory cannot cope at the moment... :lol: :-$
I don't have free fish......

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#13 Post by ace » Wed May 15, 2013 11:35 am

bartmp8 wrote:While West Malaysians have a better understanding of using Postcodes, the folks in Sabah are still
hopelessly blur. For example, the postcode for Sandakan is 90000 but the district of Sandakan is
2266 km2. You'll see the postcode 90000 on street signs as far West as Mile 32 (Checkpoint) to
North inTanjong Pisau on Labuk Bay, as far South as Sapagaya (Kinabatangan) and East to Mumiang.

Meanwhile, at the SDK GPO, where PO Boxes are still popular, 90700 is assigned to PO Box 1 - 100,
90701 to PO Box 101 - 200 and so on. In the space of approximately 30 m wall or PO Boxes, we have
close to 10 postcodes but 2266 km2 shares 1 postcode.

Good luck finding with Postcode here in SDK.
Honestly, Bro bartmps, I have absolutely no clue how the postal code works in West Malaysia, let alone in East Malaysia. I would think, correctly me if I'm wrong, that the post code is more an area or district. I would probably use an exact POI rather than postal code. In Singapore, you can use the postcode like a POI. :mrgreen: And that's the reason, I assume, why it is a pet peeve here if you find the code missing :lol:

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#14 Post by Redstorm » Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 pm

ace wrote: Honestly, Bro bartmps, I have absolutely no clue how the postal code works in West Malaysia, let alone in East Malaysia. I would think, correctly me if I'm wrong, that the post code is more an area or district. I would probably use an exact POI rather than postal code. In Singapore, you can use the postcode like a POI. :mrgreen: And that's the reason, I assume, why it is a pet peeve here if you find the code missing :lol:
Which is why postal code here is the most important when searching for a location. It beats a road name, an address or even a POI. Every establishment be it a residential unit, a shop, a makan place, a school or anything else, it will have a postal code. The postal code will help us zoom in precisely on the location. Just like a homing missile. :lol:
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#15 Post by jasonlee » Wed May 15, 2013 1:47 pm

SilverBeauty wrote: Bro Jason, there are many Malaysians living and working in Singapore .. likewise also many Singaporeans in Malaysia so this is now a grey and no difference who does it .. :mrgreen:
Dear Bro SilverBeauty,

I am glad to see this thread come to life. There is still hope.

It is not my intention to split hairs who actually are Malaysians or Singaporeans in Singapore but what I should have said was if the person using a GPS (regardless of whether he is a Singaporean or Malaysian) does not contribute the data, how can one who does not use a GPS in Singapore help? Until those who do contribute, your pet peeves will remain permanent peeves.

Postcodes for example in Malaysia designate areas which may consist of several Tamans and a few thousand houses. It can never be used for searching a location. Because of that, do you expect mappers in Malaysia to focus on postcodes?

Likewise, house numbering. The standard model is consecutive odd numbers on one side of the street and even numbers on the other. In Malaysia, we often see 4 being replaced by 3A then we may have a run of 3A, 3B, 3C before coming to 5. Pray tell me is 3A odd or even? What about 3B?
We also have 13 being replaced by 12A. We also have houses bearing the addresses of the adjacent street or if a new road is being built and a VIP builds his house as the first house halfway down the road, he gets #1 and eventually the house at the beginning of the road has to start with 3. This is why I decided not to waste my time doing house numbering.
Lean not on your own understanding

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#16 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed May 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Game is you got to be a player to understand the game ... be it involved directly or indirectly. This forum is all about Garmin, people with a passion for GPS and looking to put their GPS Gadgets to good use. To use the gadget, you got to be in some way technically literate ... there is no getting around this. You don't need to know in depth of what you want to use, and you certainly don't need to win any debates on tech topics but you do need to understand what a GPS is, how it functions and the fact that each GPS renders things differently.

As this community involves two nations, we have to understand that some things are done different in respective countries thus what works in Singapore may not work in Malaysia ...

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#17 Post by ace » Thu May 16, 2013 9:17 am

jasonlee wrote:
SilverBeauty wrote: Bro Jason, there are many Malaysians living and working in Singapore .. likewise also many Singaporeans in Malaysia so this is now a grey and no difference who does it .. :mrgreen:
Dear Bro SilverBeauty,

I am glad to see this thread come to life. There is still hope.

It is not my intention to split hairs who actually are Malaysians or Singaporeans in Singapore but what I should have said was if the person using a GPS (regardless of whether he is a Singaporean or Malaysian) does not contribute the data, how can one who does not use a GPS in Singapore help? Until those who do contribute, your pet peeves will remain permanent peeves.

Postcodes for example in Malaysia designate areas which may consist of several Tamans and a few thousand houses. It can never be used for searching a location. Because of that, do you expect mappers in Malaysia to focus on postcodes?

Likewise, house numbering. The standard model is consecutive odd numbers on one side of the street and even numbers on the other. In Malaysia, we often see 4 being replaced by 3A then we may have a run of 3A, 3B, 3C before coming to 5. Pray tell me is 3A odd or even? What about 3B?
We also have 13 being replaced by 12A. We also have houses bearing the addresses of the adjacent street or if a new road is being built and a VIP builds his house as the first house halfway down the road, he gets #1 and eventually the house at the beginning of the road has to start with 3. This is why I decided not to waste my time doing house numbering.
SilverBeauty wrote:Game is you got to be a player to understand the game ... be it involved directly or indirectly. This forum is all about Garmin, people with a passion for GPS and looking to put their GPS Gadgets to good use. To use the gadget, you got to be in some way technically literate ... there is no getting around this. You don't need to know in depth of what you want to use, and you certainly don't need to win any debates on tech topics but you do need to understand what a GPS is, how it functions and the fact that each GPS renders things differently.

As this community involves two nations, we have to understand that some things are done different in respective countries thus what works in Singapore may not work in Malaysia ...
From the various comments above, I think we can see the yearning for more users to come forward to help us make the maps more useful and to share information. This used to be the way when we were filling up the initial raw GPS maps which was just a few highways in an empty country outline... but we have reach a plateau where the common needs of maybe 90% of the users are currently being met by what we have, particularly in a confined space like Singapore. Nowsaday, almost every other vehicle I see on the road uses a GPS, for what reason, I don't know. It is probably a nice to have gadget in the car... I know because my CO asked me if I don't know the way in Singapore.. :lol: I used it because I have the tracking switched on permanently and if I come across a unmapped road or a newly constructed road, I would collect the tracks and submit it.

Maybe the pet peeves of the current environment is what we could do to further enhanced the maps...but we ought to be aware that there are competing products out there that do serve what is missing in our maps. Garmin CN Navigator for Singapore do contain postal codes for Singapore....and of course there is the LTA postcode overlay being sold as well. So the push to collect postcode is not felt as a need here.... If we want more postcode collected... than we have to rebrand the need... Like maybe Bro Zeus can assist to breakdown where the postcodes are lacking... and if helpful users can then come in and help fill in the gaps..... To make the map most useful, we have to increase the mindshare of users.

One area of particular interest to me is that we have towns and neighbourhoods in Singapore and if a user (expert or newbie) can make an individual effort to map the postcode of his/her immediate backyard or neighbourhood (just a new blocks), we would have make a breakthrough to achieve an objective. :-k :-$ :mrgreen:

Collecting the postcode is relatively simple. A newbie can just sit in his room with a laptop, with Garmin Mapsource or Basecamp installed inside, and plotted out the HDB blocks, etc... and can test it out by sending the POI to his device and try to route it...

This is a call to would be contributors, newbies or otherwise, to make an effort to contribute to this community cause... :thumbsup:

Similarly, camera are so inexpensive these days. Taking photo of important Junctions to submit to mappers is relatively easy. If you are the driver, ask your passenger to take it, but of course you have to tell the passenger the requirements of the JCV.

JCV photo should be taken at a distance, not too near, as our JCV mapper needs to crop it out. And of course, to take the photo of the junction with as few cars inside the photo as possible as this need to be removed or cleaned up from the photos. Avoid buses, trucks, or other big vehicles... Best is a photo of an empty junction devoid of any vehicles. :thumbsup: