Question on map updates for Garmin 3560

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

outlander
GPS: Garmin 3560

Question on map updates for Garmin 3560

#1 Post by outlander » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm using the Garmin 3560.

I downloaded the updated map in this forum (MSM 2013 NT v6.41) and successfully updated my map. After that, I went to the official Garmin website and downloaded the two 700mb+ updates on MSM and MFM (NT 2013.3). After I applied these 2 updates, I realised that my MSM 2013 NT v6.41 has been overwritten by NT 2013.3. Is this normal? Should I use the official Garmin maps or the updated map here? The 6.41 file is only around 50mb, so I suppose the Garmin ones should have much more details?

The Garmin website also stated that "If Garmin City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT, Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore and Malfreemaps are activated, Garmin City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT will be set as the default map for navigation." My Garmin CN is still at version NT 2013.2. Where can I update the CN map?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm quite overwhelmed by so much information in this forum.

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: Question on map updates for Garmin 3560

#2 Post by Redstorm » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:53 pm

outlander wrote:I'm using the Garmin 3560.

I downloaded the updated map in this forum (MSM 2013 NT v6.41) and successfully updated my map. After that, I went to the official Garmin website and downloaded the two 700mb+ updates on MSM and MFM (NT 2013.3). After I applied these 2 updates, I realised that my MSM 2013 NT v6.41 has been overwritten by NT 2013.3. Is this normal? Should I use the official Garmin maps or the updated map here? The 6.41 file is only around 50mb, so I suppose the Garmin ones should have much more details?

The Garmin website also stated that "If Garmin City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT, Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore and Malfreemaps are activated, Garmin City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT will be set as the default map for navigation." My Garmin CN is still at version NT 2013.2. Where can I update the CN map?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm quite overwhelmed by so much information in this forum.
The Garmin CN map and MSM NT 2013.xx maps both have different map name - gmapprom and gmapprom1, so it it unlikely that the MSM v6.41 (gmapsupp) was overwritten by either of these maps. I believed it was overwritten by the MFM NT 2013.30 map as it also share the same map name (gmapsupp). You should have installed the MSM NT v6.41 map in the microSD card instead of in the internal storage. It is always safer to store your maps in the microSD card instead of the internal storage. If the map in the internal storage gets corrupted, your device will become an expensive paperweight whereas you can get a new microSD card if the map inside gets corrupted. Your device will still runs smoothly with another new card inserted. MicroSD card is so cheap nowadays. For the update of the Garmin CN map, does the model of your 3560 comes with the sufix "LM" (lifetime map)? If so, you are entitled to free lifetime map update of the Garmin CN map. THe CN map can be updated from the Garmin Sg website.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

outlander
GPS: Garmin 3560

#3 Post by outlander » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:57 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

My Garmin does indeed come with free lifetime maps. I just realised that I've overlooked the CN map update and will now proceed to update that too.

Good point on the microSD card. May I know how do I install the official Garmin maps into the microSD card? The current process is that after downloading the files, I just double-click to launch and they will auto-install.

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#4 Post by Redstorm » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:58 pm

outlander wrote:Many thanks for your reply.

My Garmin does indeed come with free lifetime maps. I just realised that I've overlooked the CN map update and will now proceed to update that too.

Good point on the microSD card. May I know how do I install the official Garmin maps into the microSD card? The current process is that after downloading the files, I just double-click to launch and they will auto-install.
You can always copy and paste the files into your SD card after the installation.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P