Help needed to update Singapore Map & to buy Australian map

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

Alex123
GPS: None!

Re: Help needed to update Singapore Map & to buy Australian

#21 Post by Alex123 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 am

[quote="moeyHC"]:lol: :rofl: :lol: ... Good work Bro jasonlee.... else we'll still be helping him till the cow comes home.... :rofl:

Well, many thanks to Silver Beauty, JasonLee, Ace and the others, I've got my new map working.
moeyHC, where were you when I needed you? :D

Hehe, nope, moeyHC, actually the cows were already home sometime ago, haha. I decided to muck around and combined the files from my old microSD with the new files on the new microSD. I think it is working well but, besides Sentosa Cove, I've just been told by my friend, to whom I lent my car, that "the map is not accurate at the McPherson Road junction". I'll have to try it out myself there to know the actual problem.

Jason, are you saying that there is already another newer version of this map available? How often do you guys revise the maps? Anyway, keep up the good work. Much appreciated. :good:

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#22 Post by jasonlee » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:12 am

Alex123 wrote: Jason, are you saying that there is already another newer version of this map available? How often do you guys revise the maps? Anyway, keep up the good work. Much appreciated. :good:
Dear Bro Alex123,

Actually, we release the v6.xx WEEKLY while Garmin releases the updates of the preloaded maps QUARTERLY but with your Nuvi 200 I doubt you are entitled to newer releases for free except one within 12 months of your purchase. Your best bet is to forget about the updated preloaded maps and use v6.xx for free instead or buy a newer LM Nuvi with life-time map support. Although I do not know what map version you are using but surely there is an updated version considering the age of the Nuvi 200.
Lean not on your own understanding

Alex123

#23 Post by Alex123 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi bro Jason,
I followed bro SilverBeauty's initial instructions and downloaded the map from here.
I believe the version I am using is gmapsupp v642
Today I again discovered that the directions to Sentosa Cove is wrong. Instead of leading me to turn left, it asked me to turn right, totally wrong.
The previous version of malsingmap which I used was OK. So is it my downloading error or the error in the latest versions?
Maybe I shall wait for the version v643 and see if the error is corrected?

I am not using Garmin maps. When I bought my Garmin years ago, I was told the free map is the USA map from Garmin. I had to pay for a microSD card onto which Perfect Watch downloaded the malsingmap for me, which I have been using since. I have never upgraded my Garmin USA map since. (noob la!)

I am going to Australia this weekend and have decided to buy a new Garmin Nuvi 52LM for A$118 there. It comes with a free Australia and New Zealand map and I figured that whenever I go to Australia, I can use the 52LM.
Back in Spore, I can try and use a microSD with the malsingmap in the new 52LM. It doesnt make sense for me to buy an Australian map here for S$260 and still using my old Nuvi200.

Thanks for your patience with me. :good:

Alex123

#24 Post by Alex123 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Bro Jason,
Decided to take a good look at my Nuvi and it is in fact a Nuvi 205. serial number 1C0098502.

I touched 'settings', 'Map' and then 'Map Info' and this is what I see:
GM-Malaysia/Singapore v2.15
[1] GmapTool All

GM-Malaysia/Singapore v2.15 (with a tick on the box)
[1] GmapTool All

City Navigator North America NT 2009 (with a tick on the box)
[1] City Navigator Lower 48 States NT 2009

I suppose this is the info of the maps on the Garmin itself and not the maps on the microSD?

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#25 Post by jasonlee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:41 pm

Alex123 wrote:Hi Bro Jason,
Decided to take a good look at my Nuvi and it is in fact a Nuvi 205. serial number 1C0098502.

I touched 'settings', 'Map' and then 'Map Info' and this is what I see:
GM-Malaysia/Singapore v2.15
[1] GmapTool All

GM-Malaysia/Singapore v2.15 (with a tick on the box)
[1] GmapTool All

City Navigator North America NT 2009 (with a tick on the box)
[1] City Navigator Lower 48 States NT 2009

I suppose this is the info of the maps on the Garmin itself and not the maps on the microSD?
Dear Bro Alex123,

Your maps are really archaic.

Those 2 maps with the tick on the box are the ones being displayed and they could either be in your SD card or in the main memory. Map Info does not say where which is as it only displays what maps are available and which are being activated. I suspect at least one of the ticked maps is on your SD card (most likely the GM-Malaysia/Singapore v2.15). If your maps are original, there should not be the statement "[1] GmapTool All". I believe your City Navigator North America NT 2009 is original and resides in the unit's main memory. Since all of them are so old, you can uncheck both of them and replace the map in your SD card with our latest map. The USA map should be bigger than 750MB so a smaller map should be Malaysia/Singapore. Our latest v6.43 is only about 50MB.

Second point, from where did you get the serial number? The number at the back of the unit is the real serial number but the number accessed through Tools/Settings/About is your GPS ID number which the Garmin Singapore website calls this your serial number so if you are asked to present your serial number for the unlock code, then this is the number to use. I don't think you are entitled to any updated map from Garmin Singapore so you will need our v6.43 if you want an updated map of Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei.

When you go to USA again, you may need an updated map but the latest USA map is more than 1.5GB so it would not fit into your GPS but you have to use an SD card.

Alex123

#26 Post by Alex123 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:14 pm

The serial number is on the lower bottom, back of the unit, next to 'reset'.
I have unticked the Malaysia/Singapore map and will try it out.
Strange, I have never done anything here before and it was working OK with the old microSD.
Hopefully with this untick, it will use the map on the microSD card instead?
Thanks again.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#27 Post by jasonlee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Alex123 wrote:The serial number is on the lower bottom, back of the unit, next to 'reset'.
Strange, I have never done anything here before and it was working OK with the old microSD.
Thanks again.
Of course it was working but with a very outdated preloaded map. After you untick you will have no maps for Malaysia/Singapore until you replace it with our updated map.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#28 Post by jasonlee » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Alex123 wrote:The serial number is on the lower bottom, back of the unit, next to 'reset'.
Thanks again.
When I asked you about the serial number, I was thinking of other Newbies who may get an error message when they give the number at the back of the case as the serial number required by Garmin Singapore. I hope other Newbies were reading and more important, Garmin Singapore was reading and correct their error to end the confusion.

Alex123

#29 Post by Alex123 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:34 pm

After I untick, it did not work properly.
I then deleted the gmapsupp.img 31March2008 from the new microSD. Well, it doesnt work.

Now I restored it. The new microSD has a Garmin folder with a POI folder (consisting of 13 files like AXS station, speedTrap, MRT etc) and gmapsupp.img (2008) file and another folder SingMalMapGarmin with 2 files with gmapsupp.img 1/12/2013 and product.jcv

I believe this is the latest map but the map direction to Sentosa Cove is, to my knowledge so far, wrong.
The previous map (2008) had the right direction.

Anyway, I have given up on this.
On my return from my holidays, I will go to Perfect Watch with my Nuvi 205 and see if they can help me.
Failing which, I will just keep the Nuvi 205 in case I go to the USA since there is a Garmin USA map inside.
I will see if Perfect Watch will sell me a new microSD with the latest MalSingMap installed.
If necessary, I may just buy a new Nuvi with a Garmin Singapore/Malaysia map.

But actually I think I will not really need to buy a new GPS because cars these days come with built-in navigation. My other car, a Toyota Alphard, has a built-in touch screen with GPS.

I may be a newbie but I followed all available instructions but it still didnt work so I am not sure what else is wrong, unless the map version I downloaded is not the latest latest and had the Sentosa Cove errors yet to be fixed?
:ko:

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#30 Post by Redstorm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Alex123 wrote:Now I restored it. The new microSD has a Garmin folder with a POI folder (consisting of 13 files like AXS station, speedTrap, MRT etc) and gmapsupp.img (2008) file and another folder SingMalMapGarmin with 2 files with gmapsupp.img 1/12/2013 and product.jcv ............
I think I can roughly figure what went wrong with your map installation. First of all, please remove the old 2008 map. Within the Garmin folder, place the POI sub folder and gmapsupp.img map (dated 1/12/13) there and create a sub folder called JCV and place the product.jcv inside. To sum up, your Garmin folder will contain:

POI sub folder
JCV sub folder
gmapsupp.img

Please note that for older models like yours, the Garmin folder in the card can only contain one map of the same name. It doesn't work if you put one map in the main folder and put another map of the same name in a sub folder.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P