Searching for Condominiums buildings

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

aceedburn
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: nüvi 42LM

Searching for Condominiums buildings

#1 Post by aceedburn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:24 am

Hi. I'm really lost. How do I search for condominium and apartment buildings using my nuvi 42lm? Thanks in advance and happy merdeka to all.
GPS & Music, can live with it, can't live without it.
http://soundcloud.com/rknair

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

Re: Searching for Condominiums buildings

#2 Post by jasonlee » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:18 am

aceedburn wrote:Hi. I'm really lost. How do I search for condominium and apartment buildings using my nuvi 42lm? Thanks in advance and happy merdeka to all.
Dear Bro aceedburn,

AFAIK there is no category for condominium and apartment buildings in our map and that affects all GPSes.

You need to know the name of the condo in order to search.
Lean not on your own understanding

aceedburn
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Post by aceedburn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:13 pm

jasonlee wrote:
aceedburn wrote:Hi. I'm really lost. How do I search for condominium and apartment buildings using my nuvi 42lm? Thanks in advance and happy merdeka to all.
Dear Bro aceedburn,

AFAIK there is no category for condominium and apartment buildings in our map and that affects all GPSes.

You need to know the name of the condo in order to search.
Dear bro Jason,

thanks for the reply. Yep, i'm aware there's no category for condos, but where do i search even if i know the name. i tried searching from the main category screen, but it always says no results found. in fact any poi i search for returns no results found. only when i go to let's say shopping category, then when i search paradigm, it comes out. any help is appreciated. thanks.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#4 Post by jasonlee » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:45 pm

aceedburn wrote: thanks for the reply. Yep, i'm aware there's no category for condos, but where do i search even if i know the name. i tried searching from the main category screen, but it always says no results found. in fact any poi i search for returns no results found. only when i go to let's say shopping category, then when i search paradigm, it comes out. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Touch Spell Name and key in the name i.e. search ALL CATEGORIES OF POIs. Use only key words and not the full name as the mapper may have been given a different name. If not found that most likely it is not in the map. If you post the name and coords here, you will help to ensure it gets into the map.

aceedburn
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Post by aceedburn » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:40 pm

jasonlee wrote:
aceedburn wrote: thanks for the reply. Yep, i'm aware there's no category for condos, but where do i search even if i know the name. i tried searching from the main category screen, but it always says no results found. in fact any poi i search for returns no results found. only when i go to let's say shopping category, then when i search paradigm, it comes out. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Touch Spell Name and key in the name i.e. search ALL CATEGORIES OF POIs. Use only key words and not the full name as the mapper may have been given a different name. If not found that most likely it is not in the map. If you post the name and coords here, you will help to ensure it gets into the map.
that's the thing. i don't have the spell name option in my nuvi 42lm. in all categories of poi, any search comes out as no results. but when i go to hospitals, i can search for the hospitals, but in all categories, it always says no results. weird.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#6 Post by jasonlee » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:37 am

aceedburn wrote: that's the thing. i don't have the spell name option in my nuvi 42lm. in all categories of poi, any search comes out as no results. but when i go to hospitals, i can search for the hospitals, but in all categories, it always says no results. weird.
I don't know what to say.

I had the experience of a 42LM not recognizing any map in the /Map folder in the SD card so I reckoned it must be a dud. Maybe your 42LM is a dud too.

aceedburn
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Post by aceedburn » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:46 am

hehe, yeah maybe. will try again and see if it works. thanks a lot for your input.

jasonlee
Senior Mapper

#8 Post by jasonlee » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:30 pm

aceedburn wrote:hehe, yeah maybe. will try again and see if it works. thanks a lot for your input.
I was thinking of you when I was using my Nuvi 3560.

It also does not have spell name but the search invites the user to spell the name.

As I said, keywords only but the next thing I noticed is where to search. The GPS says search in the vicinity of where I am.

If the POI is in a different town, then many things will go wrong:

1. The user may select to search at the wrong town.
2. The Mapper may not have entered the name of the town in the address or entered the wrong town.

The result is search will fail.

I certainly hope that is not the case. If the condo is not in the map that is the easiest and I have mentioned how you can help.

aceedburn
Veteran
Veteran

#9 Post by aceedburn » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:53 pm

jasonlee wrote:
aceedburn wrote:hehe, yeah maybe. will try again and see if it works. thanks a lot for your input.
I was thinking of you when I was using my Nuvi 3560.

It also does not have spell name but the search invites the user to spell the name.

As I said, keywords only but the next thing I noticed is where to search. The GPS says search in the vicinity of where I am.

If the POI is in a different town, then many things will go wrong:

1. The user may select to search at the wrong town.
2. The Mapper may not have entered the name of the town in the address or entered the wrong town.

The result is search will fail.

I certainly hope that is not the case. If the condo is not in the map that is the easiest and I have mentioned how you can help.
Yes bro jasonlee, this issue only exists with the weekly nt maps. When i load the official garmin 2015.20 maps, searches work fine all around. Everything i search for comes out perfectly. Just figured this out over the weekend. So i guess i shall use the 2015.xx maps for the time being. Thanks again for your help.