Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:28 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:06 pm 

GPS: MIO520
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Mio c520 from overseas but is worried if there are any Singapore Maps support for it. Could anyone advise on this pls? Tks in advance.

Rgds

Last edited by bartmp8 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apologies to Nglt23 for changing and hijacking this topic. Newbies, pls use this thread to ask before buying if unsure.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:01 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Nuvi 310, 60CSx, 10x
I just took a look at the specs for Mio C520 on this link:
http://www.mio-tech.be/en/gps-navigatio ... ations.htm

Beautiful features.. but I am afraid it does not support Malsingmaps as is... as our hobby maps run on the Garmin platform.

Code:
Software 
Operating System           Microsoft Windows CE .Net 5.0
Navigation Software        MioMap v3.3
Picture Viewer                Yes
Audio Player                   Yes
Calculator                      Yes

I am not the expert here.. but I do notice the operating system is Microsoft Windows CE .Net 5.0 ... hmm... don't know can load Que and Gpsproxy or not... probably not... .....

take care..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:39 pm 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android
jaguar wrote:
I do notice the operating system is Microsoft Windows CE .Net 5.0 ... hmm... don't know can load Que and Gpsproxy or not... probably not...

When they say CE Net 5.0 it likely would not be able to run GPSProxy, Garmin Que or Garmin Mobile XT.
Users should look for Windows Mobile 6, Windows Mobile 5 or Windows Mobile 2003 if they want to run said software with our Malsingmaps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:47 pm 

GPS: MIO520
Thanks everybody. I notice that Mapking can support Windows mobile, so guess I will have to purchase Mapking if I wish to buy the Mio C520

Post subject: GPS Units from the US?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:28 pm 

GPS: None yet...
Hi everyone... I'm new to the GPS scene, and wondering if a portable unit purchased in the United States will work here in Singapore? It seems as though Garmin is the brand of choice here, given the Malsing map compatibility, etc... just wondering if there is any reason why a unit bought in the States wouldn't work? If no problem, can you offer any suggestions on specific Garmin models given the conditions here in Singapore?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:40 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: nüvi 750
Garmin bought from US will work here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:14 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
uptempo8 wrote:
Hi everyone... I'm new to the GPS scene, and wondering if a portable unit purchased in the United States will work here in Singapore? It seems as though Garmin is the brand of choice here, given the Malsing map compatibility, etc... just wondering if there is any reason why a unit bought in the States wouldn't work? If no problem, can you offer any suggestions on specific Garmin models given the conditions here in Singapore?

Thanks!

:welcome: bro uptemo8, to malsingmaps forum where all garmin is discussed.

GPS are universal tools that derived its co-ordinates from satellites that roam the globe in outer space, so it can be used anywhere in the world. You should be concern with availability of maps. =D>

As to what model is suited for you, suggest you read the wiki section for newbies to gain a little knowledge of GPS and its functions / usage. Then determine a want / wish list that you want to benefit from the acquisition of the GPS. Visit Garmin website ( http://www.garmin.com, look under products ) to get a feel of the various models and specification. :-k

Pay a visit to the various Garmin dealers ( ie... PW at SLS ) for a first hand feel of the various models and prices. Buy according to you budget and needs. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:11 pm 

GPS: nuvi 200
Hi uptempo8,

I support what the others say because I also bought a US Nuvi200 thru internet purchase. Its a risk.... but also a good bargain (cost me SDG297 inclusive of shipping charges).

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... _Nuvi_GPSr

I had accidentally corrupted the US maps. But in any case, I followed the steps STRICTLY (and blindly, haha ) mentioned above and it works fine. The most important thing is that "gmapsupp.img" (containing SGP and MAL maps) must be in either the SD card or in the "garmin" directory of the unit.

So now I am a happy owner of a US bought Nuvi200 ..... with the forum provided MAL/SIN maps ..... and a set of corrupted US map. :mrgreen:

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:54 pm 

GPS: None yet...
Hey guys - thanks for the quick replies and helpful info! The reason I ask is that I was recently given a Garmin Nuvi 200W as a Christmas gift in the States... So I was wondering first if it would work here in Singapore, and second if the performance was adequate for the very urban landscape... I don't want to have to keep pulling off to the side of the road so the GPS can reacquire the satellite signal as several articles have mentioned is a drawback of some of the cheaper models... Any experience on whether this particular model is adequate for S'pore and advice on whether I should upgrade to a more sophisticated unit?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:54 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60csx, 3790T
Hi bro uptempo8, with so many members here using your model in Singapore you can be sure it will work well!

All Nuvi models come with high-sensitivity receivers (either SiRF III, MTK or Bravo), so probably the only reason to go for the more 'sophisticated' models is if you need those extra features eg. Text-to-speech

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 293 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next