Can My GPS use MSM? [If not sure, pls ask before buying]

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

drtamil
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Treo650+MobileXT+GPS10; VistaC; 60CSx-7units

Re: Anyone used before the GPS from China?

#101 Post by drtamil » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:39 pm

myghimh wrote:hi there,

Im new to GPS and stuff, so i got a few questions that might sound silly, so im going to start asking in the newbie forum first :P
first, i would like to know whether the GPS from china can be loaded with maps from malsing or mapking?
for example ---> http://cgi.ebay.com.my/New-3-5-GPS-AU-N ... dZViewItem

my second question would be:
if you look at this item, it says Newly Overhauled. But then it says it has 1 year warranty with manufacturer. So, im wondering, is this really refurbished from Garmin? When i asked them(ebay seller), they said its new item?? and i can claim warranty from manufacturer, which i guess is from Garmin? Anyone knows where is the Garmin service center? just in case? (Im from Malaysia)
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/GARMIN-NUVI-200- ... dZViewItem

my third question would be:
does the item above (nuvi200) support the malsing maps or mapking? actually, can someone guide me on how to create the maps on a new SD card, so it can be read from the GPS device?

Thanks! hope someone an enlighten me on the above question :P

1. Cannot. It's a WinCe device so most probably it has its own map and navigation application such as Papago.
2. You can only claim warranty in Malaysia if you buy from the local authorised distributor such as AEC in Tmn Maluri or Starlite in Seremban. Buy from oversea, you can only claim warranty from overseas.
3. Yep. How to create maps? Are you sure? Read how to tedious it is to create your own maps from here; http://161.142.92.104/PURE/
Or do you mean how to copy maps into the SD card?

Nuvi 200 can use MSM maps. You can read my review on Nuvi 205 running MSM maps at http://www.palmx.org

myghimh
GPS: none

#102 Post by myghimh » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:59 pm

hei thanks for the fast reply. i understand now. I wanted to know how to copy maps into SD card, but i found how to do it in the malsing wiki :P

actually i wanted to buy one cheap GPS in the market, but the only cheap ones around 300-350, are the ones available from China (ebay). Does anyone know how to load the software/maps into the China GPS? anyone has experience? or bought before the GPS from ebay?

thanks

sabre23t
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android

#103 Post by sabre23t » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:10 am

myghimh wrote:Does anyone know how to load the software/maps into the China GPS? anyone has experience?
Most likely that's the reason they are so cheap. Nobody have Malaysia/Singapore maps for them. :-k
The world is MyMaps!

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#104 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:37 am

I just came back from Shanghai, China. Went to a SLS equivalent mall in downtown Pudong and the range and availability of cheap GPS is mind boggling ... Garmins are priced in the luxury category. The domestic market is huge and can support all these "brands" thus no need for them to provide maps for other countries...

myghimh

#105 Post by myghimh » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:49 am

hei there, many thanks for the reply.

my next question would be, anyone can recommend me a reliable cheap gps? ranging around the price of less than 400?
that can support malaysia maps?
note: i know about the citibank offer, but i do not have anyone (eligible) that can buy the GPS for me :(

thanks

stimix
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia N78 (Garmin MXT for Navi & Racechrono for tracking)

#106 Post by stimix » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:00 pm

At RM499, there are reasonable 2nd hand units available in lelong.com such as HP6515..I saw 1 selling @RM499... :-k

If u have a laptop or even a plain PDA without GPSr, u can get a bluetooth GPSr for about RM200 & above & pair it wth ur PDA or laptop....That's the cheapest options..read more in the wiki... :mrgreen:

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#107 Post by adilothman » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:16 pm

There are a lot of China / Taiwan PND (personal navigation device) units on sale .. all kinds of Cap Ayam brands are available. Virtually all of them are using Mapking platform.

Typically you can break down the costing like follows:

All ballpark figures:
PND hardware unit add RM300-400
Mapking license add RM200
Dealer margin add RM200+

So at around RM700-800 price - it faces stiff competition with the basic Nuvi's. Most of these china brands are distributed on consignment basis to shops, making it even tougher for the distributor to survive.
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

myghimh

#108 Post by myghimh » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:18 pm

hehehe, i just saw from lelong, one item, same like the one i saw in ebay, but this one HAS malaysia maps :P but its more than RM500 :(

http://www.lelong.com.my/Auc/List/2008- ... Player.htm

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#109 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Price is one factor, but the more serious side of it is how often and can you get "Map Updates" ? No point buying it cheap and then you find map updates are non existent, hard to get or expensive :$gone: :$gone: :$gone:

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

#110 Post by tks » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:15 pm

where are you located? In Singapore, you can get the basic Garmin for S$299. Even cheaper if you buy from the resale market. For this money,you are guaranteed somethign that works and map updates.

Like what SilverBeauty said, don't just look at the initial outlay. That is most misleading. Look at the total cost of ownership. Your cheapo China unit may fail just after 3 months, and that is $$$ wasted. Updated maps may be non-existent or you may have to pay an arm and a a leg to get it.