US/UK/OZ/TWN vs local purchase

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

sahirs
GPS: none

Any issues with buying a garmin in the US and using it in SG

#11 Post by sahirs » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:02 am

I'm new to GPS - planning to buy a Garmin Nuvi 360 on my next trip to the US - since it is so much cheaper there - only US$230 there (the Nuvi 200W is US$290 in Singapore!!!).

How reliable are these devices? Have people had failures in the first year? Just checking to see whether local warranty is worth the additional cost of the device.

Also, I assume that using the Malsingmaps of Singapore and Malaysia will be no problem on this device purchased in the USA...

Sahir

toda_k20
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPS76CSx, Nuvi 360

Re: Any issues with buying a garmin in the US and using it in SG

#12 Post by toda_k20 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:40 am

sahirs wrote:I'm new to GPS - planning to buy a Garmin Nuvi 360 on my next trip to the US - since it is so much cheaper there - only US$230 there (the Nuvi 200W is US$290 in Singapore!!!).

How reliable are these devices? Have people had failures in the first year? Just checking to see whether local warranty is worth the additional cost of the device.

Also, I assume that using the Malsingmaps of Singapore and Malaysia will be no problem on this device purchased in the USA...

Sahir

No problem for me and I am using the Nuvi 360 too.

So long as you understand the warranty implication, it is fine. OK for me considering the savings involved.

For as long as the savings are still substantial, I will continue to purchase my future GPS from US.

JJ007
Regular
Regular
GPS: 60CSx, Nuvi 260W
Oregon 300

#13 Post by JJ007 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:36 am

yup, no problem for me too. I am using Nuvi 260W, ordered from Amazon.com

for warranty, if your unit failed, you need to contact Garmin Taiwan (nearest center), ask for RMA and return. 1st Step is to register your unit at Garmin website (under Mygarmin)

sahirs
GPS: none

#14 Post by sahirs » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:57 pm

JJ007 wrote:yup, no problem for me too. I am using Nuvi 260W, ordered from Amazon.com

for warranty, if your unit failed, you need to contact Garmin Taiwan (nearest center), ask for RMA and return. 1st Step is to register your unit at Garmin website (under Mygarmin)
Ok - can RMA from Taiwan even if purchased in USA? That's not too bad - I have friends in Taiwan...

sahir

yeowa
GPS: Garmin Etrex Legend HCX

Custom clearance on new GPS set from US

#15 Post by yeowa » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:56 pm

I need help. I just bought a new GPS Garmin etrek Legend online a week ago from ebay. It was my first time buying through ebay and I just received a call from POS Malaysia that my item is being hold by custom at the airport.

I just wonder if anyone have the same experience and I need advice on how to deal with this.

POS Malaysia offer to become agent to do the clearance for RM49.50. Is it worth it? And I need to go to SIRIM for the electronic goods?

How much would be the duties? How much to declare. Really a bad experience, if only I know that buying online causes this problem, I wouldn't want to close the deal. :(

chlesoh
Regular
Regular
GPS: eTrex 30, Nuvi 200, Holux M-241

Re: Custom clearance on new GPS set from US

#16 Post by chlesoh » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:37 pm

I dunno whether I can help you on this matter. However, I can share my experience I just had on last Sat when I collected an item in KLIA.

My brother asked his friend to ship a hydraulic pump for his car from Japan, and I was asked a favor to pick up the item as he wasn't in the country. Thought it would be sent directly to our house but it turned out it was held up by the custom.

Called Pos Malaysia in KLIA only to find out that I need to fill out some forms and declare the item. Thinking I may get away with it as a "Test Part", I went to KLIA to collect the item.

When I was at the custom, I was asked to open up the box and declare the item as well as its value. Despite telling all kind of stories that it's a used part (it looks like a new part though); personal item used it Japan; non-motorized auto part & etc, the custom still decided to tax it @ 25% as it is an auto part.

So, the officer had asked me to declare a value. I said RM300 as my brother's friend had also declared the item as USD120 when shipping out. The officer accepted it as RM300 rather than USD120.

Hence, the tax is 25% of value of item. Value of item is RM300 + Postage (7800 yen, about RM234) = RM534 but with some appeal, the officer agreed to put it as RM500 x 25% + RM1 stamp duty = RM126.

I had to move from one counter to another counter to complete all the procedures. I've spent more than an hour there.

Come to re-think about it, I could have appointed Pos Malaysia as the agent, and filled out some forms to declare that it's of zero value as a "Test Part", and hoped that they won't base it on USD120 (in which they might), and get away with just RM49.50?

It might work or it might not. Remember that on top of RM49.50, you'll still need to pay for their courier fee to send it to your house of which it will be charged separately.

Anyway, my petrol cost plus toll charges to and fro KLIA are almost RM50 already. If I can get away with the taxes by using Pos Malaysia, it might save me both time and money.

In your case, I don't know whether if there's a value declared when your GPS was shipped out, and whether the officer will take that value (if there is) to charge the taxes if you are not there.

You may try, and if you are successful pleas let me know :mrgreen: cos I was thinking of buying one GPS online too.

I wish there're others who have experienced this before can give a tinkle to what we can actually do.

Anyway, my brother's item, which weighs 6KG, is worth the tax. It is sold here for RM7,000 against in Japan's RM4000+ :mrgreen:

ahbahari
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 200 v3.4; eTrex Vista HCx + PC mobile Re Radiating antenna

#17 Post by ahbahari » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:33 am

yeowa wrote:I need help. I just bought a new GPS Garmin etrek Legend online a week ago from ebay. It was my first time buying through ebay and I just received a call from POS Malaysia that my item is being hold by custom at the airport.

I just wonder if anyone have the same experience and I need advice on how to deal with this.

POS Malaysia offer to become agent to do the clearance for RM49.50. Is it worth it? And I need to go to SIRIM for the electronic goods?

How much would be the duties? How much to declare. Really a bad experience, if only I know that buying online causes this problem, I wouldn't want to close the deal. :(
I'm about to buy on line as well.....
Which vendor and how much do do pay bro?
Let's us know the sequel
Come on Gunners..

akiyoo
GPS: Holux 240 slim + Dopod 838pro

#18 Post by akiyoo » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:30 am

I have a similar case around 1-2 years back when I bought the Holux GPSLim 240 from UK.
Also Pos Malaysia called to collect from custom.
I went there, the custom guy asked me to declare at SIRIM office.
So I went there and pay for the SIRIM charge around RM 100+. then go back to custom to collect the item with SIRIM sticker on it. Is very troublesome the whole process....

Is sometimes depend on your luck too.
My friend...bought the same thing a week later and call by the same custome, they did not ask him to declare at SIRIM. Just release the part after seeing is the GPS for personal use.

So, depend on how you speak to them...Good luck

izani
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#19 Post by izani » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:51 am

Yeah it depends on your luck.. I've bought 4 GPS over the net, but luckily all pass trough the customs without any issue. \:D/
-- IR --

yeowa
GPS: Garmin Etrex Legend HCX

#20 Post by yeowa » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:04 am

Thanks for the replies. I need to know another thing. How much should I declare my GPS set? I am not too sure if my seller declare the value and how much.

I bought from shopepal on ebay. They are super efficient. The goods reached Malaysia in a week time, just got hold by custom. Hope the set is in good condition. [-o<