Adding Languages to your Nuvi/GMXT

NEWBIES, USE THIS FORUM AS YOUR FIRST STOP. Seniors will guide you on whether to obtain info and which forum to post your queries.

Moderator: Moderators

dysl
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200

Adding Languages to your Nuvi/GMXT

#1 Post by dysl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Is it possible to add additional spoken language to the Nuvi 200?

I presently have American English, Indonesia, Madarin and some other languages. I am interested to add British English (which I find to be more sexy compared American English).

My unit is Version 3.30 Audio Version 2.00 (its the Taiwanese model).

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Zeus73 on Sat May 29, 2010 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited Title

biggccow
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 300

Re: Possible to Add Additional Spoken Language?

#2 Post by biggccow » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:05 pm

yes, it's possible but I do not know how to do it.
the last time the shop who sell me the unit add in addition languages for me.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#3 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:26 pm

I use web updater to access the language files in Garmin website. Link below

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/

Files are stored in main memory of Nuvi, under /garmin/voices. Files have a .vpm extension. So for British English should be English_British_.vpm file name
Attachments
Garmin Voice Files.JPG
Garmin Voice Files.JPG (19.66 KiB) Viewed 10208 times

dysl

#4 Post by dysl » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:34 pm

thanks allot SilverBeauty. =D> :good:

i did the steps recommended by you and got the British English voice installed. O:) :lol: :wink:

dysl

#5 Post by dysl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:44 am

Furher to my post above, I encountered a BIG problem :-k

The voice directions in British English is toatally wrong although the map is still working fine. I get voice directions like "go straight for one feet sixty kilometers" and "enter roundabout and take 4th exit" when i should really be taking the 2nd exit. After changing back to American English, everything is back to normal.

I notice in the voice folder that a new file (British_English.vpm) is now added. However, it appears that for all other languages (except British English) there are 2 files for each language (eg. American_English.vpm & american_english.sum).

So, where did I go wrong sifus?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#6 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:54 am

Broo dysl, I do not have a Nuvi 200 so cannot comment on your findings.

I checked on my Nuvi 610 and it does not have the English_British_.sum file, only the English_British_.vpm. Maybe other brothers with Nuvi 200 can confirm.

I has been using the British voice for almost a year without experiencing the problems you have now. The screen shot I posted shows some of the voice files I have inside my Nuvi

dysl

#7 Post by dysl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:18 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:Broo dysl, I do not have a Nuvi 200 so cannot comment on your findings.

I checked on my Nuvi 610 and it does not have the English_British_.sum file, only the English_British_.vpm. Maybe other brothers with Nuvi 200 can confirm.

I has been using the British voice for almost a year without experiencing the problems you have now. The screen shot I posted shows some of the voice files I have inside my Nuvi
Thanks SilverBeauty, Hope that some bros that have Nuvi 200 can throw some light to the problem that I am facing with the British English. :nutz:

Thanks in advance to the bros that can assist. :thumbsup:

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#8 Post by cruiser » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:35 pm

I once had the British language set up and many times, the "Take the 1st turn" sounded more like "3rd turn"... #-o confusing and unBritish... now, I have a very sexy Aussie... =P~ and she made all the difference... =P~

What's in a lady's voice from down under...? PLENTY!!! :evil:

I have John Cleese on board too... man... I have him on occasionally... just to help remind me of Manuel... looking for his Rat!!! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

Hotels & Lodgings ~ Cheaper Rentals ~ Invest in Resort Condos & Villas ~ Investment Tours ~ PayPal Calculator
Image ~ Tournaments << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi Smart move or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT ~ Nuvi Tutorial ~ I use GlareStomper® Shades
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

dysl

#9 Post by dysl » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:10 pm

cruiser wrote:I once had the British language set up and many times, the "Take the 1st turn" sounded more like "3rd turn"... #-o confusing and unBritish... now, I have a very sexy Aussie... =P~ and she made all the difference... =P~

What's in a lady's voice from down under...? PLENTY!!! :evil:

I have John Cleese on board too... man... I have him on occasionally... just to help remind me of Manuel... looking for his Rat!!! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

Hotels & Lodgings ~ Cheaper Rentals ~ Invest in Resort Condos & Villas ~ Investment Tours ~ PayPal Calculator
Image ~ Tournaments << Black Mountain Golf & Realty >> Animation – Interested? Contact at this >> Email.
>> WiKi Smart move or >> WiKi Basics or >> WiKi on PDA + BT ~ Nuvi Tutorial ~ I use GlareStomper® Shades
sounds interesting bro. where do i get the Australian English as the same is not listed as one of the downloadable voices under Garmin update :(

do let me know where i can get hold of that sexy Australian English.

:tq: in advance.

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#10 Post by cruiser » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:51 pm

My seductive Aussie arrived through my TomTom download and cost me 4,95 Euros... cheaper for sure than to get it off from our Sexlines.... :mrgreen: (not into that FYI and no need for that cheap thrill lah... 8-) )

This kangaroo ride with her is more sexciting
... without the need to drive thru the back roads... :thumbsup:

Someday I'll try to transfer the download onto a Garmin map... not sure if it'll succeed but worth a try... anyone out there who's smart at such transfers are welcome to assist, PM me first about it, if succeed, won't mind sharing, again thru PM exchange . :thumbsup:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.