Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:16 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:48 pm 

GPS: GT-31 - Locosys Technology
Not sure if this thread is still active, but I'm wondering if Tanjung Gemuk is a better place from where to hop to Tioman. We go to Tioman quite often each year, but it seems the tide issues are getting worse with each passing season.

I hear T. Gemuk doesn't have this problem? Sure, it would mean a slightly longer drive for us, since we're coming up from Singapore. But hey, if we end up departing sooner and so able to arrive in Tioman earlier, then it's time well spent I suppose.

Anyone got experience with departing from Mersing and T. Gemuk?

Cheers.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 am 

GPS: Garmin Foretrex 201 and Genie GT-31
For the record (and for all Malsingmaps members and non-members alike, that reached here on a search for Mersing Parking), there now are several parking options at the Mersing jetty.

1. The manned car park. This car park is owned by Rawa, but there's plenty of car space for third parties. Got to be early though, as it's a popular car park. Safe, but yes, need to watch out for the tree sap on hot days - it's stubborn stuff.

2. Stadium car park. Opposite the Rawa car park. It's fenced and also shut at night, but not manned. Still rather safe, though.

3. There's a private car park by a local chap called Jamil. He'll come by when you call him, you then follow him to his car park. He'll then tumpang you back to the jetty. Upon your return from the islands, you call him and he'll collect you and bring you to your car at his car park. Very safe and convenient. He's been doing this for a long time. (His # is 017-7371664).

4. You can leave your car behind the mosque, as there are some residential areas. Not guarded or fenced off, but I reckon it's safe.

Incidentally, we've been going to the islands since the early 90's and we've never once had any issue going on with our car or, indeed, our personal self. Mersing obviously is much much safer and more pleasant than JB.

By the way, FYI, those who always showed up at Mersing to buy ferry tickets, like we used to, may now be pleased to hear that you can now also buy your ferry tickets online. This way, you won't run into full ferries, as we were experiencing the past year or so.

Lastly, although off-topic is bit, try some of the food stall opposite the jetty terminal. Their nasi padang is heavenly. =D>

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:38 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
outerbounds wrote:
For the record (and for all Malsingmaps members and non-members alike, that reached here on a search for Mersing Parking), there now are several parking options at the Mersing jetty.

1. The manned car park. This car park is owned by Rawa, but there's plenty of car space for third parties. Got to be early though, as it's a popular car park. Safe, but yes, need to watch out for the tree sap on hot days - it's stubborn stuff.

2. Stadium car park. Opposite the Rawa car park. It's fenced and also shut at night, but not manned. Still rather safe, though.

3. There's a private car park by a local chap called Jamil. He'll come by when you call him, you then follow him to his car park. He'll then tumpang you back to the jetty. Upon your return from the islands, you call him and he'll collect you and bring you to your car at his car park. Very safe and convenient. He's been doing this for a long time. (His # is 017-7371664).

4. You can leave your car behind the mosque, as there are some residential areas. Not guarded or fenced off, but I reckon it's safe.

Incidentally, we've been going to the islands since the early 90's and we've never once had any issue going on with our car or, indeed, our personal self. Mersing obviously is much much safer and more pleasant than JB.

By the way, FYI, those who always showed up at Mersing to buy ferry tickets, like we used to, may now be pleased to hear that you can now also buy your ferry tickets online. This way, you won't run into full ferries, as we were experiencing the past year or so.

Lastly, although off-topic is bit, try some of the food stall opposite the jetty terminal. Their nasi padang is heavenly. =D>

Cheers

:tq: Bro outerbounds,

For the very informative feedback.

It will be great if you can give us the coordinates of the car parks so that our mappers can check if they are already in our map; if not put them in.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 am 

On. We're going again this weekend. I'll mark the spots and revert here.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:33 am 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
outerbounds wrote:

:tq:

I hope our Johor mappers will watch this thread. =D>

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm 

GPS: Not yet, buying
outerbounds wrote:

Hi Bro:
We, family are going to Mersing two weeks later. any update for you.
Thanks a lot. Sincerely waiting for you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:18 pm 

Apologies, we haven't been back since that particular day. It's been peak season in Mersing and Tioman, very very busy. We tend to go for some tranquility, so we're taking a rain cheque till quieter times return.

No worries, I will put up the coordinates here once we go. That said, please note that all the landmarks there are very easy to find, including the ferry terminal itself, the car parks and the various makan places.

I'll be back :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:45 am 

Finally got the coordinates for the car park here, guys. It's 2.434472 and 103.838802.

Cheers.