A driving holiday to Ko Samui Island in South Thailand

Share your holidays and points of interest during your travels. It could also be a spot you stumbled on your way to work.

Moderator: Moderators

dwoon
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W

Re: A driving holiday to Ko Samui Island in South Thailand

#51 Post by dwoon » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:13 pm

Thanks azzy,

I too read about putting RM$1 note in the passport.... wonder what does that help??? Apparently, some don't do that and it's also not an issue.

I've been reading and asking alot of questions in a Samui forum and feedback has it that ferry queue can be as long as hour. :shock: Was advised to book in advance for Seatrans but am not able to do it (even Thai online travel agency asked me to go queue. :-. )

Do you happen to know what time these coffee shops open? Don't want to get there too early and can't purchase the insurance. Hearing the above ferry queue has prompted me to plan on being slightly early to queue at the customs. I would hate to miss the ferry and waste 1 night of my Samui accomodation as well as to have to saty a night near Donsak.

Good thing its late Jan I'm going..... hear that it floods terribly in Samui during this time..... hopefully, it'll be dry by then. [-o< My car can't take anything mroe than 1 foot height of water....

dwoon
Regular
Regular

#52 Post by dwoon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:57 am

Oh... one more thing... can anyone advise on the car's log card?

I don't have it... except a photostat copy (car not fully paid yet)

Is this sufficient for the Thai customs? And must the photostat copy have a "certified true copy" stamp on it? If so, then I'd need to approach the bank for one and probably need to pay for the copy. :(

ajay
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W

#53 Post by ajay » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:45 pm

yeah... get certified true copy from bank. shouldn't be paid for it
may be you can ask someone to stamp it. like your office for example. i use my police friend to chop it for me :)
ask not (just) what malsingmaps can do for you
ask what you can do for malsingmaps (also)

dwoon
Regular
Regular

#54 Post by dwoon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:03 pm

I had thought of going down to the police post to have the stamp "certified true copy" made..... then i realised that I did not have the original to begin with.

The police would not give that stamp unless there was the original as proof that photocopies were made from.... :(

kentng
GPS: Nuvi 200

#55 Post by kentng » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:21 pm

Hi Dwoon,

I try to book ferry ticket online but not available as well.

I understand from the local, the queue is bad during weekend as a lot of main land local going for holiday over weekend.

Monday is bad as well as a lot of vehicle sending goods to Koh Samui.

I am not sure which resort you are staying, if you stay in Al's resort ( Same Owner with Raja Ferry ), you may try to ask the resort to get you the ticket and send it over to you. ( I say try because I have not done that, I only found out when I was there and the resort help me to buy return ticket - Speak to Ms Pra and mention you got the information from a Malaysia group).

As for the car registration card, I saw someone using photo copy of the car registration card as well and I did not see any stamp on certify true copy on it. The official requirement did mentioned about original copy, may be it depends on the official on duty, better stick to the rule so that it will not spoil your holiday.

Have a enjoyable trip and please share with us some photo.

kentng
My Road Trip to Thailand.

www.DriveToThailand.com

ajay
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W

#56 Post by ajay » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:17 pm

dwoon wrote:I had thought of going down to the police post to have the stamp "certified true copy" made..... then i realised that I did not have the original to begin with.

The police would not give that stamp unless there was the original as proof that photocopies were made from.... :(
yeah, officially of course u need to have original with you to get it stamped. if u don't have friends who can help u stamped without the original then gotta get from yr bank then
ask not (just) what malsingmaps can do for you
ask what you can do for malsingmaps (also)

dwoon
Regular
Regular

#57 Post by dwoon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Yes, ferry booking is now out the window.... just hope that 3pm queue will get me across on that day. (wrote to online tour agent and was advised to go & queue. ](*,) )

I enquired on a thai forum and was advised to get the Raja VIP ticket, which is a return ticket and allows priority in the queue. Well, let's hope there is availability......

wingman
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#58 Post by wingman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi dwoon!

The alternative is to book and pay in advance at the Bank of Ayuddhaya (also or called KrungSri) when you arrive at Haadyai in the morning for a ride on Seatran which I prefer! This guarantees your 3.00 pm departure but this comes at an additional cost!

Why the rush? The provincial capital which is some 60km further up from Donsak is a great place for cheap seafood and the hotel "Nipa Garden (@ N9 06.375 E99 19.708)" comes with airconditioning and internet access at approx. RM45 per night!

Seafood dinner is best at Lamphu3 (@ N9 11.036 E99 22.150) or alternatively go to the night market or Lucky Restaurant (@ N9 08.713 E99 19.814).

dwoon
Regular
Regular

#59 Post by dwoon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:50 am

Thanks wingman,

The rush is cause I've already booked my rooms in Samui.... don't want it to go to waste right? If I miss the ferry for the day.... then it's waste of time on the mainland and also need to find lodgings which will not be cheap (walk-in rack rates)

Well, you've a good suggestion by pre-booking Seatrans at the Bank of Ayuddhaya when I pass Hatyai. I don't speak Thai.... errr... you figure they can understand english? I don't mind the slight additional cost as long as it guarantees me a place on the ferry for the day. :mrgreen:

Now to go look at the map of Hatyai to find the bank. Hope they open at least half day on a Saturday.....

Cheers.

dwoon
Regular
Regular

#60 Post by dwoon » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:41 am

Just returned from 8 nights in Samui.

I used the Seatrans Ferry service and it was straight forward. Just buy ticket as you drive upto the booth. The person will advise which queue to line up your car. Adult passengers must board the boat on foot while kids can stay in the car. :-? Didn't have to queue & wait for number to purchase ticket, nor walk to any counter to check ferry timings. All info is available at the drive through booth. Same system on Samui on the retrun ferry trip.

Drive through booth to buy ticket for "car with driver" at 400 bahts, and adult passenger ticket at 120 bahts. My 5 year old was free.

Then line up in the queue after buying the tickets.

About to board the ferry.

Parked inside ferry.