Gua Musang Train Station

Share your holidays and points of interest during your travels. It could also be a spot you stumbled on your way to work.

Moderator: Moderators

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

Re: Gua Musang Train Station

#11 Post by naim » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:26 pm

hayamaguchi wrote:Way back when men were men, women were women, and the only way to KB from KL were either (a) the railroad from Wakaf Bharu via Gua Musang and Kuala Lipis (and taxi therefrom), or (b) rickety bus that took you through KT --> Kuantan --> through windy mountain switchbacks that made you sick and want to throw up --> Kajang (I think) --> Pudu bus station, it was often a toss-up.
The first option always took us through beautiful Gua Musang. Thanks for the memories, Naim!
Hehehe ... trust Howard in Ulu Michigan to come up with the details. :)

Yes, I've done the mentioned KB/KL routes several times when a small kid (can still recall some of them):

(1) Bus all the way KB-Kuantan-Karak-(winding old Karak-Gombak road)-KL, took at least 12hrs, through jungles, ferries across rivers, stopped near waterfalls in jungles to wash up or to relieve oneself, etc, now no more.
(2) Train Krai-Lipis, then taxi Lipis-Raub-KualaKubuBaru-KL, winding old road.
(3) Train Krai-Lipis, then taxi Lipis-Raub-Karak-KL.
(4) Train all the way Krai-Gemas-KL.

(2) or (3) are quickest, depending on (non-aircon) taxi condition and proficiency of ever-smoking driver.

Never tried the interesting Siam route with Tunjang Express buses!

I guess that's how I caught the travel bug. :mrgreen:
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

hayamaguchi
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: eTrex Vista HCx, Nuvi 3560, GPS Essentials on Android.
Location: Acme Township, Ulu Michigan, USA and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#12 Post by hayamaguchi » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:14 pm

BanBan wrote:The windy stretch between Kuantan and Kajang had to be the old Karak-KL road. It was normal for me to throw up going to KL in the school holidays back then.
Ah, you made my day, Bro. BanBan! I thought I was the only one that got sick as the bus wound its way through the switchbacks! :mrgreen:
naim wrote:Never tried the interesting Siam route with Tunjang Express buses!
I guess that's how I caught the travel bug. :mrgreen:
An amusing true anecdote about the Tunjang Express buses (thanks, I'd forgotten the name of the bus company!): there was a volunteer teacher from Japan (Japan's JOCV volunteers), an amusing fellow by the name of Yamato, who taught at the Sekolah Vokesyenal in Pengkalan Chepa. He one day decided to take the Tunjang bus to Alor Setar. At Sg. Golok, he and a fellow local passenger was almost bumped from the bus because of overcrowding (even though they each had been sold a ticket by the bus company). (He was not acquainted with this other fellow who was about to get bumped.)

Yamato and this other fellow argued and argued together with the driver, and finally the driver allowed them to get on. Then, somewhere in the mountains between east coast and the west coast, bandits stopped the bus, boarded, and robbed the passengers of cash. It turned out that Yamato's fellow "almost-got-bumped" passenger was one of the bandits! So when this bandit fellow passenger came to him to collect the money, he told Yamato that he wouldn't rob Yamato, since they both struggled against the bus company at the beginning of the ride! So only Yamato made it to Alor Star with an intact wallet! :mrgreen:

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#13 Post by cruiser » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:33 am

hayamaguchi wrote: It turned out that Yamato's fellow "almost-got-bumped" passenger was one of the bandits! So when this bandit fellow passenger came to him to collect the money, he told Yamato that he wouldn't rob Yamato, since they both struggled against the bus company at the beginning of the ride! So only Yamato made it to Alor Star with an intact wallet! :mrgreen:

Potentially a collaborator of the occupiers during the 2nd WW II and fearing a future return backlash/huntdown with a painful death at the sabre.... :mrgreen: just my speculation yah?!! :nehneh: Lucky chap for Yamato... possibly a look-alike too with Gen Yamato? :evil:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

#14 Post by naim » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:23 am

hayamaguchi wrote: ... So when this bandit fellow passenger came to him to collect the money, he told Yamato that he wouldn't rob Yamato, since they both struggled against the bus company at the beginning of the ride! So only Yamato made it to Alor Star with an intact wallet! :mrgreen:
Lucky for Yamato, the other passengers did not suspect him as being a collaborator of the 'fellow passenger' bandit. :)

Noah
Senior Mapper
GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465

#15 Post by Noah » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:12 am

Howard wrote:So when this bandit fellow passenger came to him to collect the money, he told Yamato that he wouldn't rob Yamato, since they both struggled against the bus company at the beginning of the ride!
Haha. Even thieves are capable of honor.
Mappers wanted. Read this to get started. Payment = Recognition = Priceless.
We don't just build maps. We build relationships.

Follow our map updates on Twitter

hayamaguchi
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: eTrex Vista HCx, Nuvi 3560, GPS Essentials on Android.
Location: Acme Township, Ulu Michigan, USA and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#16 Post by hayamaguchi » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:54 pm

cruiser wrote: Lucky chap for Yamato... possibly a look-alike too with Gen Yamato? :evil: [/size]
The general's name was YamaMOto... :mrgreen: Yamato-san looked more like a hippie... very un-Japanese! :nutz:

We Peace Corps volunteers (goof-offs, all of us) all used to marvel that such a specimen of "non-Japanese"-ness actually came as a JOCV volunteer. Overall, JOCV volunteers were a lot more serious, much better trained, and much more competent than we Peace Corps types!

But Naim is right, Yamato is lucky he didn't get turned over to the police in Alor Setar! Yamato always used to say something like what Noah mentioned.... honor among thieves and all that!

FSCA001
GPS: NIL

#17 Post by FSCA001 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Guys, im heading to Gua Musang Train Station from Singapore this April. Can anyone recommend any decent makan place nearby the station? Thanks in advance.

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

#18 Post by naim » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:17 pm

FSCA001 wrote:Guys, im heading to Gua Musang Train Station from Singapore this April. Can anyone recommend any decent makan place nearby the station? Thanks in advance.
Right in front of the train station is Main Street, Gua Musang. Take a walk along this street, which is virtually a chinatown. I saw some Chinese eateries, mamak shop (I think) and of course, KFC.

FSCA001
GPS: NIL

#19 Post by FSCA001 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

Thanks ...is there any Thai Seafood or Kelantan food?

jerome
Senior Mapper
GPS: 60CSx, Nuvi 765

#20 Post by jerome » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Gua Musang used to be famous for their frog dishes (claypot, steamed with ginger or steamed with Brand's Essence of Chicken) when I was there in the late 80's and early 90's. That's our lunch stop when we come out of the jungle at Laloh before heading to Cameron Highlands. We'd always order all three and steam patin, not sure if the stall is still around, it was in a backlane off the main street.