Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:12 pm 
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

GPS: Nokia E52
cruiser wrote:
You had lots of driving done and we may not be covering that length like you did but hope equally well to see the coastal sights beween Malaga and Gibraltar. If you have a name or number of those places you managed to lodge at, I'll be happy to receive and refer them abt you passing it on if we select any or most to make a reservation too.

For best experience, take the coastal roads and avoid the expressways.

Here are some Mediterranean scenes east of Malaga (between Malaga and Motril), but there'd be more apartment blocks between Malaga and Gibraltar (Costa del Sol).

There's a naked lady somewhere down there. :mrgreen:

Coastal route N-340.

Btw, directions on Spanish expressways can be confusing - I don't think the colours help!

Quote:
We'll probably pick up our Rental from Sevilla and drop it off at Gibraltar to fly back.

I suggest find a car rental which you can return the car at La Linea, the Spanish bordertown, then just walk into Gibraltar and the airport. For Gibraltar travel, there's ample public transport just after the border post. Driving in Gibraltar incurs additional insurance and it's a congested place anyway.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
naim wrote:
For best experience, take the coastal roads and avoid the expressways - I suggest find a car rental which you can return the car at La Linea, the Spanish bordertown, then just walk into Gibraltar and the airport. For Gibraltar travel, there's ample public transport just after the border post. Driving in Gibraltar incurs additional insurance and it's a congested place anyway.

:tq: Naim. I share the same view too so leaving it to both my GPS units and the sexy accent coming off from either Karen or Sylvia does a better job being guided around rather than figuring how those colored signage are meant to help.... :ko:
:good: on that great tip with leaving behind the Rental car and perhaps catch a cab across into the Rock.
I have been using Booking.com, (I'm an affiliate myself with them) but I like other choices that are competitive as well. Usually with Hertz but for this coming trip, I'm far better off with another operator that charges just under 200 Euros only and it's Diesel (my preferance :-' ) run for the seven days hire.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 10:43 pm 
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

cruiser wrote:
Usually with Hertz but for this coming trip, I'm far better off with another operator that charges just under 200 Euros only and it's Diesel (my preferance :-' ) run for the seven days hire.

Try amigoautos.com which uses goldcar.es. Very popular, good prices, so expect long queue at counter.

At the end of the trip, this is our Ford Fiesta 1.4 Diesel back at Malaga airport.

And see the average consumption for the whole 6 days - fantastic! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:17 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
naim wrote:
Try amigoautos.com which uses goldcar.es. Very popular, good prices, so expect long queue at counter.
At the end of the trip, this is our Ford Fiesta 1.4 Diesel back at Malaga airport.
And see the average consumption for the whole 6 days - fantastic! :thumbsup:

Thats what I thought too... I saw yr choice offered from that Operator and am considering it untill I opted yet again with my other (I'm also an affiliate member) called >> CarTrawler.<< click and save it for yr future rentals as an option!(recommended esp. for Kissy... :wink: )

I get points for my own rental too and upgrades as well and payouts once a year as well from them. I still try to look around to compare for the best deal and in Europe, I'm aways getting better deal with CT somehow. In my own country, I get away better with Hertz strangely though.

The consumption shown with your usage is good which is something as close as to my Citroen C5 Break 2,2 HDi performance. That is why., I prefer diesel, one can keep the engine running non-stop and make a return trip to the moon and its still chilling the cockpit without signs of engine puffing into a breakdown. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:38 am 
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

Gibraltar (part 3 - FINAL)

We are still at Main Street, Gibraltar.

Cathedral of St Mary the Crowned, built 15th century on the site of a demolished Moorish mosque, in Gothic style.

A small square in front of the cathedral is decidedly Mediterranean.

A statue of a British soldier is a major attraction.

The tablet at the feet of the soldier tells it all.

More British identity here ...

... and here.

We skip the normal tourist haunts and head back to the border. Housing for the masses aplenty along this major road.

Half-way up the Rock stands a castle built by the Muslim Moors. Such fortification has always been here since 711, when the Moors first arrived. They ruled Gibraltar for more than 700 years.

More housing as the Rock dominates every spot in Gibraltar.

Looks confusing, then I realise prices are quoted in English (pence) and Spanish (euro).

Heading for the border, but we have to cross the airport runway again.

There are traffic lights and physical barriers to stop vehicular traffic if there is aviation traffic in the way.

All clear, and we promptly cross the runway again.

Thanks a lot for spending your € and your £ here.

It gets congested as we near the border post, where a roundabout tells us we can go anywhere as long as it is Spain. Otherwise make a U-turn.

In single file, we duly pass the border back into Spain. Only the Spanish border guards inspect our passports, the Gibraltarians do not care a single bit who comes and goes.

Ahhh ... back in claustrophobic-less Spanish territory and we spot a pair of Ronaldos.

> THE END

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:21 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Garmin GPS 60 CSx
bro,

you left the car with almost zero fuel. when I rented a Ford Territory from Thrifty in Melbourne, Australia recently, I was given a full tank. I forgot to fill up when I returned the car, and Thrifty charged A$97 from my credit card #-o

topoguy

p.s. your trip computer shows av. fuel consumed 4.8l/100 km (= 49 mile per gallon). v. good!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:58 pm 
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

topoguy wrote:
bro,

you left the car with almost zero fuel. when I rented a Ford Territory from Thrifty in Melbourne, Australia recently, I was given a full tank. I forgot to fill up when I returned the car, and Thrifty charged A$97 from my credit card #-o

topoguy

p.s. your trip computer shows av. fuel consumed 4.8l/100 km (= 49 mile per gallon). v. good!

Spanish practice - pick car with full tank (they charge for the fuel), but return empty. They won't credit any left-over fuel unless renting for 1-3 days. Only in Spain I found this. Other European countries I've rented - pick up full, return full, like in Aust and NZ. :mrgreen:

Btw 4.8l/100km is almost 60mpg. It's excellent!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:47 am 
Elite
Elite

topoguy wrote:
bro,

Fuel Policy in AUS and NZ.
Pick up full, return full. :-k

Your vehicle will be supplied with a full tank of fuel and must be returned full. Missing fuel will be charged on your return.

Your vehicle will be supplied with a full tank of fuel and must be returned full. Missing fuel will be charged on your return. (Suppliers fuel policies change from time to time, please confirm at rental counter)

Mileage Policy
Unlimited

Cross Border Travel
All international cross border travel disallowed.

I noticed that diesel-run vehicles are not allowed or included for the rentals in both countries. The price of a Toyota RAV4 or equivalent is in both countries fairly equal but a Nissan Pathfinder is abt 350 euros more in AUS for the same duration.

Spent a good while yesterday reserving our rentals for Spain, Sydney and NZ too. Spore and/or Malaysia is still under consideration... might decide after the Spanish flight. :rock:

Click & compare and save this link for yr future global rentals as an option! >> CarTrawler.<<

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:28 am 
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

Sevilla (part 1)

Today we are doing the biggest city in Andalucia, which is also its capital - historical Sevilla. First we need a filling breakfast, so at a roadside eatery in the village of Jedula, we order what the locals are eating: thick bread, margarine, tomato paste and olive oil, washed down with delicious coffee. Not bad.

First a quick visit to the nearby white village of Arcos de la Frontera.

In the early 11th century, Arcos was already an independent Muslim principality.

The Gothic cathedral atop the ridge was built when the Christians captured the town in the late 13th century.

We drive closer to Arcos and below the ridge, the village is all the way up there.

We decide to take a country road, and this one is typical in Andalusia - always scenic.

It's windy country here.

Note the rural road, which is not too good - I hate the high shoulder which can become dangerous if the guard railing is not there, which is often the case.

Soon we jump onto the excellent expressway with spring blooms all the way.

Time to enter Sevilla. I hate city driving, but I guess I have no choice now. The metro area has 1.5mil people, 4th largest in Spain.

We park at the fringe of the old town, and make our way in, as a bunch of Segway tourists file past.

We are now in the Jewish part of Sevilla's old town - the Juderia ...

... which leads us to Patio de Banderas.

Here, some archaeological excavation is still on-going. Sevilla is more than 2,000 years old, from Roman times.

From Patio de Banderas, we pass a gate of the Reales Alcazar, the Royal Castle, ...

... with its impressive emblem. The Alcazar was originally a 12th century Moorish palace.

Nearby, a horse carriage awaits fare at the Alcazar wall.

Beyond the Alcazar gate, the Plaza del Triunfo, with the huge Sevilla Cathedral in front of us.

Another view of the huge cathedral at Plaza del Triunfo.

The 98-metre bell tower - La Giralda - is a former minaret of the demolished Sevilla Mosque, built in the 12th century by the Moors.

Insignias on the Sevilla Cathedral, built at the site of the mosque in the 15th century. It's the largest Gothic cathedral in the world.

Opposite the cathedral, the 17th century Palace of the Archbishop.

Another view of the square in front of the Palace of the Archbishop.

A hot day in Sevilla, and shades at the side of the cathedral are most welcomed.

In a nearby old building, a new office retains the influential and elegant Moorish architecture.

> TO BE CONTINUED

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Location: Acme Township, Ulu Michigan, USA and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
GPS: eTrex Vista HCx, Nuvi 3560, GPS Essentials on Android.
topoguy wrote:
naim wrote:
Btw 4.8l/100km is almost 60mpg. It's excellent!

You guys are both correct !!

Bro. topoguy is quoting the consumption in US gallons, while bro Naim is quoting the same consumption using Imperial gallons !

I had the same experience when I first came to Malaysia and did some flow calcluations for water supply. I was using US gallons and the rest of Malaysia was using Imperial gallons (at that time). For a short while, I just couldn't figure out why I couldn't make a simple calculation come our correctly! :oops:

My Toyota Highlander hybrid SUV was showing 26.5 mpg (US Gallons) this morning. Great photos as usual, Naim!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next