Tower Regency Hotel & Apartment, Ipoh

Share your holidays and points of interest during your travels. It could also be a spot you stumbled on your way to work.

Moderator: Moderators

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

Tower Regency Hotel & Apartment, Ipoh

#1 Post by adilothman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:30 am

For those intending to travel to Ipoh, I recently stayed at the latest hotel in Ipon over the weekend. I had this to say http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... RATES_CONT

I repeat here:

I read the reviews here before deciding to take a chance to see if there is an improvement.

First impressions when I saw the external appearance of the hotel - it looked like a hotel which was opened in a hurry. Looked as if some minor construction works are still going-on in other parts of the building. Maybe doing defect works.

Lobby looked very decent. We arrived at 3pm - recommended check-in time. They checked us into an apartment room on the 10th floor. The electronic card couldn't open the door. The bellboy said the room was recently ransacked by the occupants and we can only use the physical key to open. So off the bellboy went down looking for the key. The problem was the hotel couldn't find the key. A supervisor came along and I asked why check us in a room which was known to be problematic? So she said we could take the next room which was being cleaned. It was to take another 40 mins. I said no, since we are in a hurry and we wanted to go to a wedding. And furthermore, we arrrived at 3.00 pm where there should be rooms available - not wait for another 40 mins for it to be ready.

So they set us off to the 12th floor. Door works fine. Patio lights not working. Inside, we found the coffee table and one of the settee chairs missing. For a group of 3 adults and 2 children, we only had the long chair to sit on. The unit on the 10th floor had a complete set. The bellboy tried to explain that not all rooms have all the furniture. I asked him to look for replacement since we need the extra seating but of course none was delivered.

The dry kitchen has no utensils. Maybe it had when it first opened but surely stolen by the time we were there.

The toilet was clean and Ok except for the leaking toilet hose. The shower works great with good pressure. No complaints here. Beddings were clean and crisp too. Another plus point. The TV has limited Astro but is more than acceptable although some of the channels have gone haywire due to previous occupants I am sure. The aircon remote was missing but was replaced by housekeeping.

The lock to the outer door (front patio) was not secure and seemed to be a victim of abuse / vandalism. It wouldnt take much more before it breaks. Ditto to the main door : the lock together with the handle was missing two screws and were just hanging on to the 2 lower screws which fastened it to the door. Another victim of vandalism or previous occupants trying to steal it? Thankfully the internal slide lock was in good working condition. In light of this, we decided to go out for wedding and dinner with all our valuables with us in a separate bag.

Then there was breakfast buffet. Very reasonably priced at RM13++. The spread is ok for the price - toast, nasi lemak, beans, fried rice, hashbrowns, cereals, half boiled eggs, fruit juice. Kids pay half price. The chicken curry was very tasty that morning. The room service menu is reasonably priced too - fried rice is RM9.00. But i didnt get to try it.

When it came to pay for the extra heads for breakfast, the system wasn't working and there was no way to charge it to the room if you intend to check-out on the same day. So it was manual payment and receipt was written on a cheap generic receipt book which you can buy at a sundry shop.

In conclusion - this place was both a hit and miss. And since it is only 5 months since it was opened - it is a sad testament of the kinds of occupants who come and stay here - damage from the theft and vandalism after just 5 months - horrible. You wouldnt expect a 5 month old hotel to have wobbly door handles, broken this and that, missing remotes, billing system not working, checking in guests into known problematic rooms ..These, if left unchecked, the hotel will fall apart before long. I am sure Tower Regency would be a lot better had this not happened. Either management is understaffed or not up to speed yet in running the establishment.

On the plus side, it is centrally located. Near Ipoh Parade and at night you can stroll 300 metres up the road and try the famous hawker foods which opens till late. Cheap F&B, clean toilets and sheets .. but ..at RM190 price point for a 2 bedroom apartment - it doesnt meet my standards. So despite its plus points, I would not recommend it to a friend. I will try another hotel next time.

Give it another year maybe ..
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

aceedburn
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: nüvi 42LM

Re: Tower Regency Hotel & Apartment, Ipoh

#2 Post by aceedburn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:40 am

hey adil, fancy bumping into you at kellie's castle. So, there was no traffic jam after all, huh? I reached PJ at 2.30pm, left about 5 minutes after you. Actually, I almost booked Tower Regency too but a friend of mine recommended Heritage Hotel near the turf club which turned out to be a very pleasant experience, albeit a few minor hiccups. I would indeed recommend Heritage Hotel Ipoh to anyone who needs value for money accomodation with great service and room quality. :)
GPS & Music, can live with it, can't live without it.
http://soundcloud.com/rknair

civic98
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 1350
Nuvi 55LM

#3 Post by civic98 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Bro adil, I was in Ipoh recently too, stayed at a hotel i used to stay at many years back during my monthly trips there then, Regalodge, just at the back of Tower Regency. That was 5-6 years back and the Tower Regency you stayed at, was already there, then an abandoned uncompleted building for some time already. I was very surprised it turned into a hotel, i wonder...

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#4 Post by adilothman » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:32 pm

aceedburn wrote:hey adil, fancy bumping into you at kellie's castle. So, there was no traffic jam after all, huh? I reached PJ at 2.30pm, left about 5 minutes after you. Actually, I almost booked Tower Regency too but a friend of mine recommended Heritage Hotel near the turf club which turned out to be a very pleasant experience, albeit a few minor hiccups. I would indeed recommend Heritage Hotel Ipoh to anyone who needs value for money accomodation with great service and room quality. :)
Yeah! Great bumping into you too! You look fit dude .. with the black shades, I could hardly recognise you! Me, OTOH .. instead of shrinking in size i grew the opposite way .. :mrgreen:

Reached PJ at 1.50pm .. my rear number plate fell down somewhere along Ipoh streets between Ipoh Parade and Tower Regency .. so whoever found it must have bought the 4 digit toto ..

Man .. climbing Kellie's Castle is a darn good workout on a sunny afternoon ..

Bro Civic,
Will keep that in mind when I am next in Ipoh!

I was at the supposedly famous flea market in Ipoh (every Sunday) and was sorely disappointed!

I spent Saturday at Lost World of Tambun - although one of the smallest waterparks in Malaysia, somehow the place have endeared itself to me - being hemmed in by a natural river, located just at the fringe of the sheer monolithic limestone hills .. very scenic and calming. Unlike Sunway Lagoon which is like the proverbial pasar malam!

I wanted to try Indulgence - which is sposedly a great boutique hotel but read reviews that they do not fancy guests with children. Not my loss then ..
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

ammy7
GPS: Google

#5 Post by ammy7 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi,

Anyone try to book this in last month. Plz tell me what's its current per night rate?