Siem Reap & Angkor Wat

Share your holidays and points of interest during your travels. It could also be a spot you stumbled on your way to work.

Moderator: Moderators

rickvon
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx; Zumo 550

Siem Reap & Angkor Wat

#1 Post by rickvon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:21 pm

Ok so it's not MY Roadtrip yet but Soon-to-be! :mrgreen: Has anyone been to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat recently? I would like to hear about your experiences and advice (tracks??) esp. road conditions from Sisophon to Siem Reap in the November dry season. Thanks guys. :)

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

Re: Siem Reap & Angkor Wat

#2 Post by naim » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:18 pm

rickvon wrote:Ok so it's not MY Roadtrip yet but Soon-to-be! :mrgreen: Has anyone been to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat recently? I would like to hear about your experiences and advice (tracks??) esp. road conditions from Sisophon to Siem Reap in the November dry season. Thanks guys. :)
Was there mid-'06, documented here: http://travel.smz8.com/?p=97
But nothing on tracks, so soli. :mrgreen:

+++
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

rickvon
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#3 Post by rickvon » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:34 am

Ahh.. pics and documentary from a Malaysian's eyes! Very informative. Thanks bro naim. Still looking for info on road conditions into Siem Reap as we're planning to ride up on our motorbikes. From what I've found so far in the Net a good section (about 50 kms) from Sisophon into Siem Reap up to Kralanh is unpaved road and altho conditions can turn quite tricky during the wet season it should not be much of a problem in November. Hopefully. [-o< After Kralanh it's tarmac till the last 20 kms or so before Siem Reap. That's about as much as I can find out so far.

stimix
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia N78 (Garmin MXT for Navi & Racechrono for tracking)

#4 Post by stimix » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:40 am

Wow this will be an intereting journey and probably your furthest on big bike. :-k .....should organise together wth othe MSM bikerz club as well :mrgreen:

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

#5 Post by naim » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:38 am

rickvon wrote:...
From what I've found so far in the Net a good section (about 50 kms) from Sisophon into Siem Reap up to Kralanh is unpaved road and altho conditions can turn quite tricky during the wet season it should not be much of a problem in November. Hopefully. [-o< After Kralanh it's tarmac till the last 20 kms or so before Siem Reap. That's about as much as I can find out so far.
When I was there last year, that's about what the locals told me. However you may find more updated info here (I guess you must have visited these sites):

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-ove ... oadcon.htm
http://www.brasatboranntours.com/pg020.html
http://wikitravel.org/en/Siem_Reap

+++
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

nadainn
GPS: Asus535

#6 Post by nadainn » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:04 am

Hi Rickvon,

How's planning going so far for this roadtrip? Hope you already have the information required.

Juz to share our experience. We drove there last year in Nov too, entering Poipet on 5th Nov, exiting Koh Kong.

Noted that the cambodians has started to mend the 50km dirt road between Sisophon and Siem Reap, with tractors moving up and down the road. I supposed that's annual affair for them after the wet season. Alongside you will still see flooded padi fields. The road is basically dry, bumpy and some with huge pot holes. But if tractor has juz gone over it...then slightly smoother.... We setoff at 8am from Poipet and reach Siem Reap at around 2pm. Personally, I felt Nov, Dec may be better to take this stretch of road as it's getting mended, and b4 it get deteriorates due to frequent use. It's getting cooler too.

If you reach Poipet in late afternoon (we were there ard 4pm) better to stay a night in Poipet b4 you continue your trip to Siem Reap as it's not advisable to travel at night. I believe you should have read from the Net. Give yourself at least 4-5 hrs lead time for travelling, else better stay put in Poipet.

No tracks as dun own gps at that time, but the road is well signed, quite "straight" as you will find out soon, so no worry.

Enjoy and Take Care!!!

thsalbert
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin 10x with Omnia
GMXT 5.00.10TW Location Error Corrected for China Navigation.

#7 Post by thsalbert » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:01 am

rotweiler site now have a routable Cambodia map. Hope it help you and take care.

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#8 Post by cruiser » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:49 am

naim wrote: When I was there last year, that's about what the locals told me. However you may find more updated info here (I guess you must have visited these sites):

http://www.talesofasia.com/cambodia-ove ... oadcon.htm
http://www.brasatboranntours.com/pg020.html
http://wikitravel.org/en/Siem_Reap +++

I was absolutely excited in browsing and closely gazing some very archaeological pictures took during your travels to the Angkor Wat ruins... we would also wish to include Cambodia someday with the other Asian countries, China being the vast and "prolly" :rolleyes: , the most extensive one to snap...

Thank you for making those trips and allowing them to be viewed & shared on the Net, they are awesome Naim!!! Cheers to you and looking forward to viewing to many more of your travel snaps with your simple and concise description I have read with pleasure.
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

rickvon
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#9 Post by rickvon » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:51 am

nadainn wrote:Hi Rickvon,

How's planning going so far for this roadtrip? Hope you already have the information required.

Juz to share our experience. We drove there last year in Nov too, entering Poipet on 5th Nov, exiting Koh Kong.

Noted that the cambodians has started to mend the 50km dirt road between Sisophon and Siem Reap, with tractors moving up and down the road. I supposed that's annual affair for them after the wet season. Alongside you will still see flooded padi fields. The road is basically dry, bumpy and some with huge pot holes. But if tractor has juz gone over it...then slightly smoother.... We setoff at 8am from Poipet and reach Siem Reap at around 2pm. Personally, I felt Nov, Dec may be better to take this stretch of road as it's getting mended, and b4 it get deteriorates due to frequent use. It's getting cooler too.

If you reach Poipet in late afternoon (we were there ard 4pm) better to stay a night in Poipet b4 you continue your trip to Siem Reap as it's not advisable to travel at night. I believe you should have read from the Net. Give yourself at least 4-5 hrs lead time for travelling, else better stay put in Poipet.

No tracks as dun own gps at that time, but the road is well signed, quite "straight" as you will find out soon, so no worry.

Enjoy and Take Care!!!
Thanks nadainn! I've been away from the forum past few weeks to take care of biz matters and I'm pleased to come back and see some advice here after coming back.

Our ride is still on as I write and we're always searching in the Net for latest updates on the road conditions. Yes I've checked the websites bro Naim quoted (thanks!) and quite a few more as well.

Your info is very much appreciated, nadainn.. and probably a relief for some of us who were getting a little apprehensive about the trip! Bear in mind that we're going to be on two wheels and huge potholes that might be easily traversed in a car/fwd albeit a little uncomfortably may end up in a disaster on a bike if we're not careful. Worse still if the pothole is covered in water. Falling off a GS Adventure AND trying to pick it up again for the 12th time is not going to be easy! haha! If anyone of you have watched the DVD "Long Way Round" you'll know what I mean. In addition to that, our group also consists of a few old coots (like me!) who think they're still 25 but their bodies won't agree. :mrgreen:

Having said that I'm still looking forward to the ride. As they say.. it's the journey, not the destination. Altho in this case I'm also very excited about being able to take my D80 to Angkor Wat to grab some shots!
Last edited by rickvon on Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

rickvon
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#10 Post by rickvon » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:53 am

thsalbert wrote:rotweiler site now have a routable Cambodia map. Hope it help you and take care.
Thanks thsalbert. I already have the cambodia map from Rotweiller. :D