Planing trip to Perhentian island

Share your holidays and points of interest during your travels. It could also be a spot you stumbled on your way to work.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
quaky
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:00 pm
GPS: Holux GPSlim + XDA 2
Holux M241
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Planing trip to Perhentian island

#1 Post by quaky » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:17 pm

hi all,
I'm thinking of going to Perhentian island in April for snorkeling. Anyone familiar with that region can give advice? :tq:

I'm planing to drive from Ipoh and park at the jetty. Usual question, any secure parking?

Being searching the internet and will pick these place to stay:
1. Tuna Bay Resorts Sdn Bhd (Best but far away from best beach, need to take boat)
2. Coral View Island Resort (Got bats)
3. Mama's Chalet & Restaurant (good makan)
Any other suggestions?

:tq:

quaky
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:00 pm
GPS: Holux GPSlim + XDA 2
Holux M241
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#2 Post by quaky » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:33 pm

Just booked my trip to the island next week.
Will be driving from Ipoh, estimate about 400km there, anyone knows the time required from ipoh to kaular besut? :-? Will be taking the east west highway, don't know how's the condition...

kon
Regular
Regular
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:57 pm
GPS: nuvi 750
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#3 Post by kon » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:43 pm

have not been to Perhentian for snorkelling, only been there for scuba diving :thumbsup:

in terms of fish & coral life, Perhentian is definitely much much better than Redang, but for snorkelling wise, i would have thought Redang is much better...

I could be wrong!

quaky
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:00 pm
GPS: Holux GPSlim + XDA 2
Holux M241
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#4 Post by quaky » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:57 am

hi kon, have been to redang some time back, and enjoyed it. So hoping perhentian is same or better. Anyway will be staying in Mama's chalet there will post some pics when I come back...

User avatar
unclediy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 am
GPS: Garmin = f(eTREX Vista HCx, nuvi 610, nuvi 2575R, Mobile XT)
Location: Southern Klang Valley
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#5 Post by unclediy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:11 am

quaky wrote: Will be taking the east west highway, don't know how's the condition...
Alternatively, u can :drive: Simpang Pulai - Blue Valley -Gua Musang - Machang - Kuala Besut
around 340km ++, in about 3h 45min
YeePoh - KBesut.jpeg
YeePoh - KBesut.jpeg (152.97 KiB) Viewed 2411 times

quaky
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:00 pm
GPS: Holux GPSlim + XDA 2
Holux M241
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#6 Post by quaky » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:40 pm

I think that will take me thru cameron highland which I think will be slower.

FrancisTLim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 pm
GPS: 60CS
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#7 Post by FrancisTLim » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:24 pm

kon wrote:have not been to Perhentian for snorkelling, only been there for scuba diving :thumbsup:

in terms of fish & coral life, Perhentian is definitely much much better than Redang, but for snorkelling wise, i would have thought Redang is much better...

I could be wrong!
My last trip to Perhentian & Redang was two years ago. In terms of high concentration of beautiful & colourful fish, then the Marine Park in Redang is one of the best. Also, there is a sunken ship to explore (snorkelling, but must hold your breath long enough). Lots of colourful fish & corals hiding inside the ship.

Perhentian is not that good for beautiful fish & corals, but the accommodation in Perhentian is more rural & I like it better. Also, the seawater outside the chalets is so much clearer in Perhentian, compared to Redang. The best is to stay in Perhentian, and take the motorboat to Redang for snorkelling.
Regards,
Francis T Lim.

quaky
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:00 pm
GPS: Holux GPSlim + XDA 2
Holux M241
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#8 Post by quaky » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 pm

FrancisTLim wrote: My last trip to Perhentian & Redang was two years ago. In terms of high concentration of beautiful & colourful fish, then the Marine Park in Redang is one of the best. Also, there is a sunken ship to explore (snorkelling, but must hold your breath long enough). Lots of colourful fish & corals hiding inside the ship.

Perhentian is not that good for beautiful fish & corals, but the accommodation in Perhentian is more rural & I like it better. Also, the seawater outside the chalets is so much clearer in Perhentian, compared to Redang. The best is to stay in Perhentian, and take the motorboat to Redang for snorkelling.
That's a let down already, I was hoping it would be better in perhentian. :cry: :cry:

FrancisTLim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 pm
GPS: 60CS
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#9 Post by FrancisTLim » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:35 pm

quaky wrote:
FrancisTLim wrote: My last trip to Perhentian & Redang was two years ago. In terms of high concentration of beautiful & colourful fish, then the Marine Park in Redang is one of the best. Also, there is a sunken ship to explore (snorkelling, but must hold your breath long enough). Lots of colourful fish & corals hiding inside the ship.

Perhentian is not that good for beautiful fish & corals, but the accommodation in Perhentian is more rural & I like it better. Also, the seawater outside the chalets is so much clearer in Perhentian, compared to Redang. The best is to stay in Perhentian, and take the motorboat to Redang for snorkelling.
That's a let down already, I was hoping it would be better in perhentian. :cry: :cry:
Don't quite understand. Which part is the letdown?
Regards,
Francis T Lim.

quaky
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:00 pm
GPS: Holux GPSlim + XDA 2
Holux M241
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Planing trip to Perhentian island

#10 Post by quaky » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:53 am

hehe, the part where redang is better snorkelling :cry:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests