SGP-Golden Triangle round trip 7000+km

Share your holidays and points of interest during your travels. It could also be a spot you stumbled on your way to work.

Moderator: Moderators

forte
GPS: Nuvi 610, 60CSx, eTrex

SGP-Golden Triangle round trip 7000+km

#1 Post by forte » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi all,
We'd a convoy round trip last Dec.
SGP-Surat Thani-Bangkok-Lopburi-Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai-Golden Triangle-Bangkok-Hua Hin-Phuket-Hatyai, a total of 16 days.
Photos are here

Highest Point of Thailand (8°C)

cflai
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin GPSMAP60Csx
Garmin NUVI 760
Dopod U1000 Mapking

Re: SGP-Golden Triangle round trip 7000+km

#2 Post by cflai » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi forte

Thanks for sharing the route and picture.... judging from the faces of your participants, they all had a very good trip.

430=450 km a day average sounds like a very nice drive, did you all had pre-booked hotels and scheduled drive or a-stop -as-you-go-along kind of trip? What time of the year was that?

I did a similar trip to Chiangmai/chiangrai via Kanchanaburi/Mae Hon Song a couple of years back, very interesting through the mountain roads. We had 2 cars broken down, one with engine failure and another with radiator leaks.......

cflai

forte

#3 Post by forte » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:08 am

Hi cflai

Hotels reservations were done before our trip, December hotels are usually fully booked by holidayer.

Northern and southern part driving are totally different experience. I believe our convoy's members like the Northern coldness mountain roads driving, though overtaking sometimes need more skills and concentration, plus constant communications from member's ahead.

So far, this trip we had only one car with punctured tire. Pre trip inspection and engine servicing was a MUST for all of us. We distributed our role to carry different tools and simple parts during the trip.

kc
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 12XL, 60C, HP iPAQ w GPSSlim236B, Nuvi 770

#4 Post by kc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:56 am

Any tracks or POIs to share? Would especially love to have these for my N Thailand Map (from Chaing Mai northwards).

Cheers!

hanuman
GPS: Nuvi + Malsingmaps

#5 Post by hanuman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 am

Thanks for sharing Forte. Nice pic.
What type of vehicle you guys using? 4WD?

forte

#6 Post by forte » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:20 pm

hanuman wrote:Thanks for sharing Forte. Nice pic.
What type of vehicle you guys using? 4WD?
All of us were driving 2WD SUV.
kc wrote:Any tracks or POIs to share? Would especially love to have these for my N Thailand Map (from Chaing Mai northwards).

Cheers!
Can PM me your email? I can send you my track file.
POIs:
1) Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep - N18 48.289 E98 55.235
2) Doi Inthananon - N18 35.362 E98 29.242 (Highest Point of Thailand 8°C see photo above)
3) Night Bazaar - N18 46.978 E99 00.048
4) Doi Tung Royal Palace - N20 17.345 E99 48.646
5) Mae Sai - N20 26.664 E99 52.839 (Most Northern Point of Thailand)
6) 2nd Friendship Bridge - N20 26.462 E99 54.266 (under construction)
7) Golden Triangle - N20 21.179 E100 04.910
8) Central Airport Plaza (for shopping) - N18 46.139 E98 58.519 (Prepare to spend, and make sure credit cards are handy) :$gone:
9) Mae Sa Elephant Camp - N18 53.956 E98 52.539 (you can try, we didn't go due to time constraint)
10) Mu Ban Bo Sang Umbrella Making - N18 46.160 E99 05.046 (plan to visit, time constraint again)

sabelt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Oregon 300

#7 Post by sabelt » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Wow seems it was a fun trip for you and your friends...
Planning to drive up there one day but the safety and budget constrain that makes our money :$gone:
Have asked few of my friends but they doesnt seem interested. I know by taking a flight up there are much more cheaper and faster.

I have few questions to ask...
1) How safe is to drive up there esp. foreign registered cars?
2) How many fill ups did you went through including the return trip?

forte

#8 Post by forte » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:08 pm

Bro Sabelt,

A group of friends with common interest, form up the convoy, was what we did.

In fact, 16 days trip, including accommodation, petrol, tolls, insurances, meals, divided into a family of say 4, each costs less than S$500, not a bad deal compare to package tour. We wanted our children to view/learn some experience, on how our neighboring country lifestyle, this suits us. I think it is easier to take a flight and visit point to point - less local lifestyle experiences.

Thais are, in general polite and courteous people I seldom face. Very humble and offer assistance if you need.

To answer your question:
1) Yes, it is safe to drive up with foreign registered cars, a convoy be better, or best. Eg. in Bangkok, we all know about the traffic jam, and they will give way to you when you drive out from small lane. Jam but in orderly manner.
2) Our total return trip petrol fill ups were around S$600. Major petrol kiosks accept credit cards, not all are 24 hours operation though. We ever experienced a kiosk ran out of petrol, and mine was the last car in the convoy. However, petrol kiosks are plentiful, don't worry about that. We'd a habit to fill up before every long distance travel. I have lost count how many stops we had filled up, but I guess how much $ was spent on petrol, could give you an idea by estimation. Malaysia fuel $ is a little cheaper than Thailand fuel $, top up before crossing to Thai border. Northern petrol are expensive than southern side.

Note:
Most highways have u-turn exit on your right, careful with slow vehicle filter into right lane, and vehicles u-turn from opposite lane.
When you drive into Bangkok highway, you will feel the driving etiquette's changed instantly, hogging on right lane are common, be it trucks, vans or buses.
Last edited by forte on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

bertman
GPS: 3790T, Eco-route HD, etrex HCx

#9 Post by bertman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Amazing!! really inspiring! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing!
all over the place....

sabelt
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Oregon 300

#10 Post by sabelt » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:49 pm

forte wrote:Bro Sabelt,

A group of friends with common interest, form up the convoy, was what we did.

In fact, 16 days trip, including accommodation, petrol, tolls, insurances, meals, divided into a family of say 4, each costs less than S$500, not a bad deal compare to package tour. We wanted our children to view/learn some experience, on how our neighboring country lifestyle, this suits us. I think it is easier to take a flight and visit point to point - less local lifestyle experiences.

Thais are, in general polite and courteous people I seldom face. Very humble and offer assistance if you need.

To answer your question:
1) Yes, it is safe to drive up with foreign registered cars, a convoy be better, or best. Eg. in Bangkok, we all know about the traffic jam, and they will give way to you when you drive out from small lane. Jam but in orderly manner.
2) Our total return trip petrol fill ups were around S$600. Major petrol kiosks accept credit cards, not all are 24 hours operation though. We ever experienced a kiosk ran out of petrol, and mine was the last car in the convoy. However, petrol kiosks are plentiful, don't worry about that. We'd a habit to fill up before every long distance travel. I have lost count how many stops we had filled up, but I guess how much $ was spent on petrol, could give you an idea by estimation. Malaysia fuel $ is a little cheaper than Thailand fuel $, top up before crossing to Thai border. Northern petrol are expensive than southern side.

Note:
Most highways have u-turn exit on your right, careful with slow vehicle filter into right lane, and vehicles u-turn from opposite lane.
When you drive into Bangkok highway, you will feel the driving etiquette's changed instantly, hogging on right lane are common, be it trucks, vans or buses.
Thanks for your helpful answer there bro. Will definitely try this long road trip experience at least once to thailand.

p/s: you better get your petrol filter change!