Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:51 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
Hi,

Just checking if anyone here knows where to buy a crossbow and any license needed for private use. Any info is very much appreciated.

Thanks n cheers!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:02 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
moeyHC wrote:
Hi,

Just checking if anyone here knows where to buy a crossbow and any license needed for private use. Any info is very much appreciated.

Thanks n cheers!

Bro Moey, wa you into exotic weapons :shock: ? Something like one in picture.

This is classified as a weapon and I believe under the weapons act thus you will need a license. Never saw one in retail as far as I know.

Attachments:
Hunting CrossBow.jpg
Hunting CrossBow.jpg [ 111.77 KiB | Viewed 6303 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:06 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: 60C, dopod 818pro + 236 and nuvi200w
A few years ago saw a set in a gun shop in Ipoh. Enquired was told no license needed.
Go check the gun shops [-o<

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:11 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
gpmal wrote:
A few years ago saw a set in a gun shop in Ipoh. Enquired was told no license needed.
Go check the gun shops [-o<

Malaysia got retail shops selling guns ? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:19 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: 60C, dopod 818pro + 236 and nuvi200w
Ya, Get an approval licence from the Polis Dept then go and buy from these shops selling guns, revolver, bullets, and other things usually in connection with guns eg tents, knives, t/lights and what nots. These shops are not new and usually not glaringly advertised.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:51 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks gpmal,

Actually this request is for a friend. I'm a member of The Penang Rifles Club and I shoot live bullets... maybe my friend is right, with the rising cost of bullets it make sense to go crossbow (it can cost more than Golf at the shooting range). Still shoot and 're-cycle'. I'll call my club to see if they can help.

Bro SB, You sound surprise to know Gun Shops are in operation in Malaysia. Yes, we have Gun shops and they sell Bullets too, most of the time they're the service center for fire arms ... :mrgreen: ... cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:43 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
Bro Moey, next time I am in Penang, could you show me where the "gun" shops are. Would also like to visit the Penang Rifle Club. How much to join and do I need my own gun or can loan one ? Do the shops carry the Airsoft UTG700 FPS-325 or the Blaser R93 ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:17 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
Bro Silverbeauty,

You are not thinking of hunting for wild boars on your upcoming trip to Kuching are you?
In which case forget the rifle, go for the shot gun with OOB (9 piece of big BB) or better still
slugs (one piece catridge). Aim just above the ears and you'll get the head. Where you are going,
you don't have to worry about head-hunters. In Kuching, they are only found at downtown in
the CBD area. Good luck hunting

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:32 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

SilverBeauty wrote:
Bro Moey, next time I am in Penang, could you show me where the "gun" shops are. Would also like to visit the Penang Rifle Club. How much to join and do I need my own gun or can loan one ? Do the shops carry the Airsoft UTG700 FPS-325 or the Blaser R93 ?

Bro SB,

Don't be disappointed when visiting these gun shops in Malaysia.. They normally don't carry or carry limited stock but will import upon order with approval from the authority... it is not like selling guns in the US.... supermarket counter will do. The cost to join is ~RM2.5k with an annual subscription of RM250. This is the easy part, to get in you must have a Proposal and Seconder (must be the club LM or OM - Life or Ordinary members) to attest your character. Than you have to go through the usual interview by the Club committees and the Police. The whole process may take 6 months or more.

Newbies are limited to .22 rifle and need to 'earn' their C&U (carry & use) License before they can handle higher power firearms. You can rent any firearms from the armory at RM5 a piece ( very cheap- just to cover cleaning, club pays for maintenance of the arms ). I can take you there to watch me shoot only.... :mrgreen: ... all firearms are for members only.... We do have members with their own Guns... mostly for sports, hunting and some for self defense. Seeing them cleaning their firearms after the workout takes away all the fun of shooting... :D It is a sport you can do for a long long time.... we have members at 80s and still shooting.... =D>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:47 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
Bro Moey, thanks for the info. Not unexpected for the red-tape requirements. So the club accepts foreigners? Got a website I can browse ? Tks

Bro BartMP8, interesting proposition, I might take Bro Moey's idea of using a crossbow for wild boar hunting. Much more exciting using an arrow :thumbsup: Many head-hunters here in CBD and Orchard Road ... :mrgreen: