Comex 2008 Garmin GPS offer - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
chick
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:53 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255W
Contact:

Comex 2008 Garmin GPS offer - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#1 Post by chick » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:29 pm

Hi,

I saw the Comex 2008 promotion from EastGear but I do not see EastGear listed as dealer in the Garmin Dealers in SG thread.
Thus, would like to check if EastGear is indeed an authorized dealer of local Garmin sets?

http://www.eastgear.com/comex2008/COMEX ... ochure.pdf

Also, is the Nuvi 255W @ $499 a good price to get since it offers both A+C maps as well as the SG Traffic Advisor service?


I'm merging posts in this thread regarding "LTA Live Traffic Advisor from East Gear" into its own existing thread. So leaving this thread solely about "if EastGear is indeed an authorized dealer of local Garmin set". -sabre23t 30aug08

tropicalfruitz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:17 am
GPS: Useless Qualcomm
Seasoned Vista HCx V2.6
Condemned NJ1030A Ver.4
Location: Singapura
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#2 Post by tropicalfruitz » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Text to Speech is a good feature to get. But the traffic advisor is redundant coz it only works in USA and garmin maps.

I'm not sure about east gear as a Garmin authorised dealer. Best is if you ask them directly if they support Garmin international warranty.

Nice to see them promoting garmin products now. Last time they were 'mapking' oriented. Follow the Leader! :thumbsup:

desmlly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:21 am
GPS: Garmin
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#3 Post by desmlly » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:47 am

Hi all the Bro here,

Checked on Comex yesterday and find out the EastGear is selling its own brand.

Model GM-4320. Powerd by MTK chipset.

Any bro here got any comment?

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 370 & 765
Location: Southern Singapore
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#4 Post by lost4ever » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:57 pm

I walked past the Navicom booth which is within a stone's throw of Eastgear and glimpsed a few signs on top of their counters that said that they are the official distributor for Garmin and something to the effect that Eastgear was doing parallel imports. Unfortunately, as you can imagine, Comex is not the venue for a pleasant window shopping experience and I didn't pay attention to the entire notice.

Well, both the shops were crowded with people so we can assume MSM's membership is probably going to get a bump the next few days. :mrgreen:
Citius Altius Fortius

User avatar
SOSweet
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 740
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:41 am
GPS: Nuvi 200W, Omnia II + GMXT
Location: SG
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#5 Post by SOSweet » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 pm

lost4ever wrote:*SNIP*....Well, both the shops were crowded with people so we can assume MSM's membership is probably going to get a bump the next few days. :mrgreen:
Who know, they may just window shopping or looking for wawa. :nehneh:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercises & Good Deeds

chick
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:53 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255W
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#6 Post by chick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:59 am

I am back from Comex.

East Gear is NOT AUTHORIZED DEALER and one of the distributor has provided official letter to endorse that.
Juz walk over from East Gear stall, direct opposite is the AUTHORIZED DEALER stall.

255W from East Gear is non-local unit. This is direct from the mouth of one senior personnel at East Gear stall, after 30 mins of probing. 205W, they have a mix of local-units and non-local-units, thus if you are getting 205W despite they are not authorized dealer, better make sure you get local-units.

I tested the 255W at East Gear. It just failed all my evaluating test subjects of searching for some of the locations I have listed. The demo unit is loaded with jerome maps and doesn't even have the latest POIs that's in v2.29 of MSM map.

In the end, I got the 205W from the authorized dealer which is capable of searching postal code, street name, etc as per original functionality of Garmin 205W and self-load latest POIs from MSM.

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S
Location: SG
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#7 Post by trajet2b » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:09 am

chick wrote:...East Gear is NOT AUTHORIZED DEALER and one of the distributor has provided official letter to endorse that.
Juz walk over from East Gear stall, direct opposite is the AUTHORIZED DEALER stall....
it seems everybody is showing letter claiming this and that.Take a look at this link.
http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/dealers. ... is+Country
is the authorized stall dealer listed?

there is no fake Garmin product. my take is, legit or grey import, as long as you get the standard warranty from where you buy, then it should not be a big issue. All repairs is done in Garmin Taiwan not at dealers site.

chick
Regular
Regular
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:53 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255W
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#8 Post by chick » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:15 am

trajet2b wrote:it seems everybody is showing letter claiming this and that.Take a look at this link.
http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/dealers. ... is+Country
is the authorized stall dealer listed?

there is no fake Garmin product. my take is, legit or grey import, as long as you get the standard warranty from where you buy, then it should not be a big issue. All repairs is done in Garmin Taiwan not at dealers site.
Looks like both are not authorized dealers then.

Well, what a mess of marketing for Garmin GPS. As a consumer, I was really lost on which to get from...spent more than an hour just to test out and decide which better suits my needs. The 255W at EG sure failed my testing. Can't even locate the street of my office, can't even locate the address and only finally find it by building name, what a joke esp. when the senior personnel of EG told us - pple normally search using building names, not address.

Even Singapore is not listed in Garmin Taiwan site - http://www.garmin.com.tw/howToBuy-2_asia.htm

EastGear
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:51 am
GPS: Holux M-1000, MapKing
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#9 Post by EastGear » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:20 am

Dear all,

EastGear is an Authorised Dealer of Garmin. Please see attached letter.

Image

For COMEX we are carrying different models namely, the 205W (Local and US Version), 255W (US Version), 760 (Local Version), 5000 (US Version).

Our local stock is from the Authorised Garmin Distributor. There is no way we can get a large quantity of local version of Garmin if we are not an authorised dealer.

It is a shame that below the belt tactics are being used.
EastGear Pte Ltd
42 Horne Road S(209066)
Tel:(65)68371582
http://www.eastgear.com
sales@eastgear.com

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 949
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S
Location: SG
Contact:

Re: Comex Offer for Garmin GPS - Is EastGear Authorized Dealer?

#10 Post by trajet2b » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:29 am

chick wrote:Looks like both are not authorized dealers then.

Well, what a mess of marketing for Garmin GPS. As a consumer, I was really lost on which to get from...spent more than an hour just to test out and decide which better suits my needs. The 255W at EG sure failed my testing. Can't even locate the street of my office, can't even locate the address and only finally find it by building name, what a joke esp. when the senior personnel of EG told us - pple normally search using building names, not address.

Even Singapore is not listed in Garmin Taiwan site - http://www.garmin.com.tw/howToBuy-2_asia.htm
if it is really important that you get from authorished Garmin dealer, you can always write to Garmin itself. See what they say.
here is the email: Marketing.Asia@garmin.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests