Ultra High Speed Broadband For Singapore

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Ultra High Speed Broadband For Singapore

#1 Post by Redstorm » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 am

Singapore consumers can expect more Internet service providers (ISPs) to launch 100Mbps consumer broadband services next year at about $75 a month or less.

Two such high-end offerings now available cost almost $90 a month.

The impetus to make available more choices in high-end broadband services is Singapore's upcoming broadband network, portions of which will be up by the middle of next year.

StarHub, awarded the tender to install the hardware for this network, will sell ISPs access to it at a wholesale rate of $21 per 100Mbps for residential lines.

This price is much lower than what ISPs offering consumer broadband services now pay StarHub or SingTel to piggyback on their networks: StarHub charges $21.56 for a 2Mbps line and $35.71 for a 100Mbps line; SingTel's charges range from $15 for a 512kbps line to $34 for a 10Mbps line.

Aside from these charges, ISPs also have to factor their other overheads - billing, customer service, overseas bandwidth charges and their profits - into the final price they now charge their customers for Internet access.

Mr Foong King Yew, consulting firm Gartner's research director for carrier operations and strategies, said the lower price was likely to lure new players into launching 100Mbps packages.

These are now available only from StarHub and M1 at almost $90 a month.

A back-of-the-envelope calculation shows that an ISP like M1, which now uses the StarHub network for its 100Mbps broadband package, will save about $15 by switching to the new network - savings it could pass on to its consumers.

A number of ISPs, including SingTel, Pacnet and LGA, have said they will look into how they can tap the new network.

Pacnet's managing director for Asia Richard Carden said the ISP is now 'assessing the opportunities that this project introduces ...to our consumer and business customers in Singapore'.

Mr Yew Hock Meng, the chief operating officer of LGA Telecom, an ISP which sells corporate Internet access, also said it does not rule out launching consumer services 'under the right market conditions'.

Consumers can thus expect some 'price competition' among ISPs, said advisory firm Ovum's research director David Kennedy. This in turn will further lower the cost of blazing-speed Internet access.

Mr Foong believes that as the prices of high-end services fall, those of the lower-end ones will follow suit.

If consumers using lower-end services can get 100Mbps service at just slightly more, they will make the switch, so 'ISPs will have no choice but to lower the cost of their lower-speed services', he said.

StarHub charges $57 a month for a 12Mbps line while SingTel charges $48 for its 10Mbps service.

Consumers are waiting eagerly for the benefits of the new network. Mr Bryan Lim, for example, has decided to hold off renewing his broadband contract when it expires in September.
Starhub won the contract to run this ultra high speed broadband and are laying fibre optic lines for this and will sell some of their service to other ISPs. The blazing speed of up to 1gbps will put Singapore as having one of the highest speed broadband in the world surpassing South Korea and Japan, with 60 to 80mbps, which are already currently considered as the highest in Asia. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

tlchuan
Junior Mapper
GPS: 10x, Oregon 300, 255w(retire) 2575RLM

Re: High Speed Broadband For Singapore

#2 Post by tlchuan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 am

wow wonder when malaysia will having these kind of service :ko:
Ham Callsign = 9W2KDX
http://9w2kdx.blogspot.com/
Now In Subang Jaya

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

#3 Post by darthobiguan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:22 am

In Malaysia, we can only dream on... We are still talking about kbps, not mbps.... Malaysia TAK BOLEH !!!!!!

Kiattz
Junior Mapper
GPS: nüvi® 1350 SG/MY
Firmware v2.60

#4 Post by Kiattz » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:18 pm

darthobiguan wrote:In Malaysia, we can only dream on... We are still talking about kbps, not mbps.... Malaysia TAK BOLEH !!!!!!
ya,we can only dream on... Malaysia BILA BARU BOLEH mbps ](*,)

tlchuan
Junior Mapper
GPS: 10x, Oregon 300, 255w(retire) 2575RLM

#5 Post by tlchuan » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:15 pm

if it can the charges also very very high :fire:
Ham Callsign = 9W2KDX
http://9w2kdx.blogspot.com/
Now In Subang Jaya

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#6 Post by cruiser » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Not a problem brudder Reddy... U R right on that score however, respecting and pointing at a debatable issue is quite different from your evaluation too. OK, YOU have yr own reasons which can be respected too since U R also married to a Sabahan... and thats proof of the beauty you chose right?

Ok, on the broader issue with connectivity, I deleted it instead and do away with your own squabbling ego... or is it?

Broaden & freshen up and I hope tourists and all alike can profit well visiting Spore with their smartphones and notebooks slung along... :thumbsup:

Take it easy on yr blood :fire: pressure... B4 EZ takes you .... :nehneh:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

#7 Post by trajet2b » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:45 am

Singapore is so small, thats why it can.

To fibre up every home in Malaysia is a humongous task. The size (area) of Project Iskandar Town in JB alone is 3x bigger than SIngapore.

So, i do understand, it may take a while for MY to be in the same 'league' as Singapore in terms of IT infrastructure implementation.

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

#8 Post by Redstorm » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:36 am

trajet2b wrote:Singapore is so small, thats why it can.

To fibre up every home in Malaysia is a humongous task. The size (area) of Project Iskandar Town in JB alone is 3x bigger than SIngapore.

So, i do understand, it may take a while for MY to be in the same 'league' as Singapore in terms of IT infrastructure implementation.
I agree that for Singapore, being very small in size, it is easier to wire up the country but the broadband speed in Japan and South korea are currently the highest in Asia and, size-wise, they are as big if not bigger than Malaysia.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

ericchia
GPS: Melaka

#9 Post by ericchia » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:53 am

trajet2b wrote:Singapore is so small, thats why it can.

Size is not an excuse.
Even China can easily get 10MBPS in rural area and dont talk about big city like Shanghai which easily have 100MBPS.

Let's not talk about fibre optics.
Take apple to apple comparison, even Singtel's ADSL is at least 10 times faster than Streamyx ADSL.

To me, Telekom Malaysia is juz ripping us off... pay RM88 and get only 1MBPS. :fire:

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

#10 Post by Redstorm » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:28 pm

ericchia wrote: Size is not an excuse.
Even China can easily get 10MBPS in rural area and dont talk about big city like Shanghai which easily have 100MBPS.

Let's not talk about fibre optics.
Take apple to apple comparison, even Singtel's ADSL is at least 10 times faster than Streamyx ADSL.

To me, Telekom Malaysia is juz ripping us off... pay RM88 and get only 1MBPS. :fire:
Sorry to hear that for RM88 (S$37), you get only 1mbps from Streamyx. For less money (S$32 or RM76), we get 3mbps with Singtel and S$45 (RM107) gets you 8mbps. And, most disappointingly, I heard that most of the time you get less download speed that what Streamyx promised you. For Singtel, their download speed is very consistent and in fact, most of the time, I am getting slightly faster speed than what I paid for (8mbps).
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P