Any Coffee lovers here?

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

wsaitnuanki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GPS: None

Any Coffee lovers here?

#1 Post by wsaitnuanki » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:51 am

Hi There,

Does anyone know where to buy cheap real coffee beans in KL such as Robusta, Arabica, Sumatra, Brasil, Columbia? I know that there are people or wholesalers doing that, however, I cannot get the location.

Please understand that I am not talking about all these coffee bean, SF coffee or Star Bucks as the price of the coffee they are selling is 3-4 times higher than the market price. I usually brew and mix the coffee myself . I always buy beans only and a quantity varying between 1-2 kg a month.

Any good lead would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
If am not here, it means that I am wearing my white T-shirt and washing the windows because my mom asked me to do so. However, I will b back as soon as I am done.

baba
Tracker
GPS: 60csx / 10x + GMXT / Holux M-1000 / GMPC on 901eeepc / Garmin-Asus M10

Re: Any Coffee lovers here?

#2 Post by baba » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:21 am

I have seen this coffee bean selling at Careffour hypermarket in Almanda Putrajaya before but not so sure whether it is the one that you want to buy.

ajay
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W

#3 Post by ajay » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:32 am

yeah... carrefour got this. sell by grams. i remember got arabica la :)
ask not (just) what malsingmaps can do for you
ask what you can do for malsingmaps (also)

wsaitnuanki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

#4 Post by wsaitnuanki » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:43 am

Good morning,

Yes, Carefour and Tesco sell their own brand. However, it does not comply with my spec's because it is powerder coffee. In computer terms I would say, I am searching for OEM coffee.

Thanks.
If am not here, it means that I am wearing my white T-shirt and washing the windows because my mom asked me to do so. However, I will b back as soon as I am done.

cruiseantz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin 60csx, N82+10x, Maggellan Meridian Platinum Plus

#5 Post by cruiseantz » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:46 am

hum, i still remember that my grandparents used to grow coffee locally... :mrgreen:
It is time for Mafia War!!!

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#6 Post by bartmp8 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:47 am

wsaitnuanki wrote:Hi There,

Does anyone know where to buy cheap real coffee beans in KL such as Robusta, Arabica, Sumatra, Brasil, Columbia? I know that there are people or wholesalers doing that, however, I cannot get the location.
Hi Bro Wsaitnuanki et al,

I believe there are some Local boutique coffee producers in Malaysia. I've seen many
coffee parlour places (including in Sandakan) grinding their own roasts. Otherwise there
is always the "Tenom Coffee". You can certainly buy that by the sack. I believe Bro BernGPS
is a bit of a "Tenom Coffee" barista.

wsaitnuanki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

#7 Post by wsaitnuanki » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:53 pm

cruiseantz wrote: hum, i still remember that my grandparents used to grow coffee locally... :mrgreen:
Then we could get some advice form you maybe?

wsaitnuanki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

#8 Post by wsaitnuanki » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:56 pm

I believe there are some Local boutique coffee producers in Malaysia. I've seen many
coffee parlour places (including in Sandakan) grinding their own roasts. Otherwise there
is always the "Tenom Coffee". You can certainly buy that by the sack. I believe Bro BernGPS
is a bit of a "Tenom Coffee" barista.
Thanks bart, yes you are right, that part of Malaysia people are still doing it the right way. However, here I cannot get a lock on any reliable one. The problem is that a good brew is a mix of different types. I personally prefer the coffee on the dark roast side. I find a lighter roast being too acidic for my taste.

Cheers.

hayamaguchi
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: eTrex Vista HCx, Nuvi 3560, GPS Essentials on Android.
Location: Acme Township, Ulu Michigan, USA and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#9 Post by hayamaguchi » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:23 pm

I love coffee, and one of the great joys of coming here to Banda Aceh was discovering the aceh gayo coffee and the coffee shop culture of this amazing place. I've been told that the kerajaan of Aceh, before subjugation by the Dutch in 1907, had fairly close relations with the Ottoman Turks. The great popularity of coffee shops started in those centuries of close collaboration with Turkey, and have continued since. (Many, many guys [and some intrepid girls] frequent the coffee shops every day --- the famous ones are jam-packed with people and conversation.)

Bro wsaitnuanki, if you have a chance to find some "Aceh Gayo" coffee (it's a pretty dark and strong roast, but very, very fragrant and satisfying --- just don't drink it too close to bedtime) by all means get some! In the US, they only sell something called "Sumatra" roast, but they never differentiate where in Sumatra these coffees come from.

Cheers!

Howard

redshadow
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nokia N82+10X,,
Nuvi 350

#10 Post by redshadow » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks bro Howard for sharing,, Am drooling now since you mentioned the taste and aroma,,
Life Is Full Of Adventure