Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

deani77
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 42 (Navigation)

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

#51 Post by deani77 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:57 pm

Just subscribe it today when changing my package. Take out Metro package for Astro HD. They said Astro will give a confirmation call and ask for more information within 48 hours (dunno what info they want... :-k )

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#52 Post by adilothman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:33 pm

deani77 wrote:Just subscribe it today when changing my package. Take out Metro package for Astro HD. They said Astro will give a confirmation call and ask for more information within 48 hours (dunno what info they want... :-k )
Actually they will call you 3 times.

1 to confirm that you actually called them to order.

2 to confirm that you actually understood the T&C of the package (which call 1 does not do) : min 1 year contract dida dida ..

3 the installer will finally call you to make an appointment

I scrapped the whatever it is $14.95 package which used to have BBCE. I gave Astro customer service an earful for replacing it with the dire WTF BIO channel .. According to Astro they did a customer survey and found that nobody watches Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Ab Fab, Top Gear .. But i had to say bye bye to Turbo channel though .. $15 for just Turbo was too much money.

But Jill Wagner is back for second season (Wipeout) .. :hungry: .. yum yum ..
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

ara_ffat
Junior Mapper
GPS: Mapking2007;Garmin Mobile XT,Nuvi205W,
Dakota 20(dead stone),60Csx(TQ Adil),Nuvi1350

#53 Post by ara_ffat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:36 pm

stimix wrote:Got mine installed during lunch time. Superb HD quality exactly like playing a Blue ray movie.

Having problem here. I can't use this on my 2nd set LCD bcos no RF connector! So my installer ask me to get the AV-RF converter so that I can hook-up wth my 2nd LCD via the RF remote controller. Hopefully it's works but I do notice that the decorder only provide 1 set of AV socket..If I use that for my Home Theathe system..no more socket for the AV-RF converter..haizzz.. ](*,)
waa so nice ha ur installer giving u the AV-RF converter..
i have to ask my cousin to check it out at Pasar road..non is available in Dungun :mrgreen:
otherwise i have to find old second hand VCR which having AV in/out to connect the RF cable :D
Y N W A :c0evil:

deani77
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 42 (Navigation)

#54 Post by deani77 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:00 pm

adilothman wrote:
Actually they will call you 3 times.

1 to confirm that you actually called them to order.

2 to confirm that you actually understood the T&C of the package (which call 1 does not do) : min 1 year contract dida dida ..

3 the installer will finally call you to make an appointment

I scrapped the whatever it is $14.95 package which used to have BBCE. I gave Astro customer service an earful for replacing it with the dire WTF BIO channel .. According to Astro they did a customer survey and found that nobody watches Red Dwarf, Black Adder, Ab Fab, Top Gear .. But i had to say bye bye to Turbo channel though .. $15 for just Turbo was too much money.

But Jill Wagner is back for second season (Wipeout) .. :hungry: .. yum yum ..
Let see when they will make first call... Then I can estimate when the installer will come and fix the unit... :mrgreen:

Yeah... I subscribe Metro package for watching only Discovery Turbo...

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#55 Post by adilothman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Ok sudah pasang. As some of us would say .. "stim siot!!" .. =D>

Everything looking nice and crisp and supersharp on 1080i. Absolutely no regrets! Have to do some cable hunting now for the 2nd TV!

And the million dollar question - how will it perform when it rains??
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

#56 Post by naim » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:52 pm

adilothman wrote:Ok sudah pasang. As some of us would say .. "stim siot!!" .. =D>

Everything looking nice and crisp and supersharp on 1080i. Absolutely no regrets! Have to do some cable hunting now for the 2nd TV!

Then watch The Dark Knight on HBO HD right now. I'd say that's an excellent demo of what HDTV is all about. But no premature ejaculation, okay! :mrgreen:

And to be sure, move to a rain-deficient area ... like Jelebu? Heheheh!
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner

#57 Post by adilothman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:04 pm

naim wrote:Then watch The Dark Knight on HBO HD right now. I'd say that's an excellent demo of what HDTV is all about. But no premature ejaculation, okay! :mrgreen:

And to be sure, move to a rain-deficient area ... like Jelebu? Heheheh!
Puas hati. Was kinda worried being an early adopter and all .. but all fears have gone.

It's raining quite heavily outside now .. so far so good .. old dish would have lost signal by now ..

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#58 Post by Zeus73 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:13 pm

adilothman wrote:Ok sudah pasang. As some of us would say .. "stim siot!!" .. =D>

adilothman wrote:Puas hati. Was kinda worried being an early adopter and all .. but all fears have gone.

It's raining quite heavily outside now .. so far so good .. old dish would have lost signal by now ..
Didn’t know that you can summon rain. :rofl:

civic98
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 1350
Nuvi 55LM

#59 Post by civic98 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:19 pm

adilothman wrote: It's raining quite heavily outside now .. so far so good .. old dish would have lost signal by now ..
Hate to be the negative one here, but it just shows that Astro IS capable of rectifying the "no-signal-when-it-rains" issue, but chose not to do so with the existing subscribers.

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner

#60 Post by adilothman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:57 pm

The new dish is slightly larger in diameter though .. when i was subscribing i did ask Astro whether the new dish will be plagued with the same rain no signal problems and their answer was that they made the dish "bigger" without actually giving any warranties that it would solve the problem.

Astro is eyeing on TM's High Speed fibre link to piggyback to carry more content to the box. Not sure if TM likes the idea as they both would be scavenging into the same market. My house is nowhere near the targeted 2.2m "inner Klang Valley" though :thumbsdown: ..