Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

#71 Post by naim » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:45 am

aceedburn wrote: bro naim, where did you get that amp from? and how much was it? is it easy installation? heard about it before but after seeing that you get full signal, i'd like to fix it too for my astro byond. thanks.
The installer supplied it, after he could only get 185 for the raw signal strength as he maneuvered the dish. He said it should be at least 205, and suggested we try the amp/booster. Cost me an extra RM25, but worthwhile. I have had 4 rains, twice no effect at all, twice with a brief interruption then reception went okay.
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

nyem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: nuvi

#72 Post by nyem » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:27 pm

I wonder if Astro will bring in ESPN 3D =P~

deani77
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 42 (Navigation)

#73 Post by deani77 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Just get called today form the installer today, unfortunately he call my office and I was not there. :hair:

I call back CS and they gave me the installer number... Called the installer and he told he tried to contact me since yesterday but using my old contact number (astro didn't update my new contact number). He will scheduled back my installation. Hopefully it will not take too long... [-o<

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#74 Post by adilothman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:53 pm

naim wrote:
The installer supplied it, after he could only get 185 for the raw signal strength as he maneuvered the dish. He said it should be at least 205, and suggested we try the amp/booster. Cost me an extra RM25, but worthwhile. I have had 4 rains, twice no effect at all, twice with a brief interruption then reception went okay.
Is the booster useful to push the signal along the long cable or more to boost reception externally?

BTW, found both 5m and 10m HDMI 1.3 cables at Low Yat. Depending on shop the 10m is going for around $250. Video degradation .. hmm .. hard to say but I'm sure some is lost along the way. I couldn't find a coaxial cable that long (actually it all boils down to price) so that means getting the sound output from the TV to pump into the amp. So i lose out AC3 audio on the big TV but retain it for the small TV. Haiya .. cannot have both!

So far - quite a number of repeat transmissions for History HD and Nat Geo HD channels. Probably not much HD content available yet but heck no complaints on the contents that are on HD though - stellar clarity esp shows that involve dramatic sceneries or space . . Supersports HD is now almost exclusively limited to NHL, NFL and Spanish La Liga. Been watching NFL religiously for years now so i can live with this although some may find only 3 sports as severely lacking. I never subscribed to the Movie channel but now re-evaluating. Hard. Maybe i can still resist for now but my OCPD says that since the movies are close to BD quality - she don't mind watching HBO again..
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

#75 Post by naim » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:50 pm

adilothman wrote: Is the booster useful to push the signal along the long cable or more to boost reception externally?
My coax from dish to decoder is easily 20+10 m, and we couldn't get the ideal 205 mark for signal strength (got about 185). So we fixed the booster at the joint. Then meter jumped to 255, max!
BTW, found both 5m and 10m HDMI 1.3 cables at Low Yat. Depending on shop the 10m is going for around $250. Video degradation .. hmm .. hard to say but I'm sure some is lost along the way. I couldn't find a coaxial cable that long (actually it all boils down to price) so that means getting the sound output from the TV to pump into the amp. So i lose out AC3 audio on the big TV but retain it for the small TV. Haiya .. cannot have both!
Remember bro, digital signal - either there or none. No such thing as in between. So if your cable gives you AV, then it's as good as a RM1000 cable.
So far - quite a number of repeat transmissions for History HD and Nat Geo HD channels. Probably not much HD content available yet but heck no complaints on the contents that are on HD though - stellar clarity esp shows that involve dramatic sceneries or space . . Supersports HD is now almost exclusively limited to NHL, NFL and Spanish La Liga. Been watching NFL religiously for years now so i can live with this although some may find only 3 sports as severely lacking.
Seems they introduce new HD contents from time to time, amidst the repeats. Must check schedule always. Awaiting EPL on ESPN HD.
I never subscribed to the Movie channel but now re-evaluating. Hard. Maybe i can still resist for now but my OCPD says that since the movies are close to BD quality - she don't mind watching HBO again..
Mixed bag here. Some older movies, when rendered to HD, the AV not so good. Otherwise others are excellent. "Dark Knight" is one example. Watched "Charlie Wilson's War" last nite, pretty good too, but audio less than stellar.
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#76 Post by adilothman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:14 pm

Naim,

My readings are 220 and 85/100. Not as peaky as your 255. My cable routing is damn long too as it has to pass the kids bedroom along the way. Say, did your installer use existing cables from the dish or put in new one? My installer just used my existing cables and left me the bundle of free 10m cable for me to use as paperweight. Or something.
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

aceedburn
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: nüvi 42LM

#77 Post by aceedburn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm

adilothman wrote:Naim,

My readings are 220 and 85/100. Not as peaky as your 255. My cable routing is damn long too as it has to pass the kids bedroom along the way. Say, did your installer use existing cables from the dish or put in new one? My installer just used my existing cables and left me the bundle of free 10m cable for me to use as paperweight. Or something.
My signal for byond was at 214-217 until i changed the entry point to #18, i.e. measat 3a(vh). the signal strength then jumped to 255, i.e. max strength. And the picture quality for the SD channels have improved too. And before anyone suggests, it's not placebo effect as i have quite sharp eyes and ears.

I had also contacted bro naim to ask about the amp, but I don't think i need to install it now as i have full signal strength at 255 after changing the entry point to #18.
GPS & Music, can live with it, can't live without it.
http://soundcloud.com/rknair

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner

#78 Post by adilothman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Mine only works at entry 18# and hovers in the 220 range only. So the question now is justifying the additional cash to get the extra 35 points for signal strength .. :rock:

aceedburn
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: nüvi 42LM

#79 Post by aceedburn » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 pm

adilothman wrote:Mine only works at entry 18# and hovers in the 220 range only. So the question now is justifying the additional cash to get the extra 35 points for signal strength .. :rock:
could it be that your dish is not aligned properly? and did u change to the new coax cable? apparently that makes a difference in signals. the old coax was rg59 and the new one is rg60.
GPS & Music, can live with it, can't live without it.
http://soundcloud.com/rknair

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner

#80 Post by adilothman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:52 am

aceedburn wrote: could it be that your dish is not aligned properly? and did u change to the new coax cable? apparently that makes a difference in signals. the old coax was rg59 and the new one is rg60.
Interesting tat ... My installer was lazy and used the existing infra -> just installed the new dish where the old one was and used the old cables. But he left behind what is presumably the new rg60 cables which i was entitled to.